Find
Notify
Tools

Big Fun with the Young 'un
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of redial
posted
This morning I'd planned to go take a look at a neighbor's field he'd asked me about a couple days ago. Seems he's moved his stock off that 40 acres and the gophers were there in droves, and in full view given the the grass had been grazed down short. Grass on the rest of the ranch is waist-high.

My 5-year-old son saw me getting ready and wanted to come. Since I knew I'd only be an hour at most, I didn't worry that he'd become quickly bored. Wanted to bring his Chipmunk rifle too. Good sign.

We drove around the perimeter and by gawd, the rats were everywhere! Many young, stupid ones and older ones I hadn't shot at previously. The Heir was able to tell me which shots were safe and which weren't and why, demonstrated safe muzzle direction and loading techniques and best of all - pasted seven gophers without my interference! Lots of high-fives, etc.

A beaming lad sat in the truck as I drove home and told me, "Dad, I am THE MAN!" Mom was elated to hear his account as well.

Makes a dad proud *sniff*

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
Wonderful account. Also great that the little guy is taking safety seriously.

My little guy just turned 4 and will probably be shooting around 6/7 years of age. My shooting has been slowed a bit with his new sister in the house now - she's 3 months old. But, soon they will both be in the woods with dad.

Keep up the good work - redleg

one of us
posted Hide Post
My biggest mistakes.......started my son out shotting pds at about 8. Now he's 10 and each trip costs me twice as much and takes twice as much time to prepare for. All kidding aside he has learned to be an excellent shot and makes many solid hits at 250 plus yards with his 22/250. His young eyes and steady hand account for more connected shots than his dad gets. Congrats on getting your son started young and heres to keeping him interested in it for life.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you both! Your son on his fine marksmanship and you for being "Dad" and teaching him young!! Go to gunbroker.com forums and look up the post, "posting pics for GHD/17HMR". That's my hunting buddy "Sarah" now 14. She's been going groundhog hunting with me since she was 4! Never got into shooting them until last year when she got to shoot her first one with the 17! I enjoy her shots more than any of mine!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. Sounds like you've all felt what I felt the other day. We are indeed blessed, eh?

The worst part is - I've accumulated a lifetime's worth of lefthanded rifles, holsters, etc and the lad has the temerity to shoot with the starboard hand! Guess I'll hafta buy a lot more stuff, huh? [Big Grin]

Cheers!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redial: You are a man after my own heart! I am so happy you and the progeny had such a good time!
All three of my sons have been taught tested and retested on what is a safe shot! And when much older (like 10 to 12ish) than yours I would often ask them "how about that one"? Knowing full well there was a circumstance that would preclude a safe shot (cow way in the background, chance of bullet getting into unseen territory, irrigation pipe nearby etc etc etc) I would calmly and without any hint in my voice test them repeatedly. They got to be pretty wary shooters that way!
Yeah about 20 days left of Gophering here in SW Montana and the little diggers will be down for their summer hibernation! I will miss them but to tell the truth I am about sated with Hunting them for this year! It has been a great Ground Squirrel season around Montana for me!
The highlight of this season for me was the new Ruger 77/17V and its performance in the Gopher Wars! That and the double my buddy and I got on Badgers with our 17 HMR's! Remind me to show you the photos I have of my Ruger 17 and the big Badger!
Ahh yes... many happy returns of that day with your son!
More later.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redial;
Great stuff! Yeah he's "The Man" alright!! [Cool]

[ 07-10-2003, 05:15: Message edited by: Marsh Mule ]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote