New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need coyote hunting tips!!
 Login/Join

<heavy varmint>
posted
I need some advice for a newbie to coyote hunting. Namely types of calls needed to get started but any other helpfull advice would also be appreciated.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Some of the most useful info , is what I picked up from my hunting partner . He has been hunting coyotes almost exclusively for the last 20 years .Find out what calls work best in your area ie. rabbit fawn pigs and at what time of year . Out here in the west fawn disstress work great for about 3 months after fawns drop. This is just one example . Start looking at a bigger picture of prey vs. area vs. cover vs. mating season vs. conjunction with other game seasons . All of this will have an effect on coyotes and thier actions .As far as calls you cant go wrong with rabbit disstress, but how you use it is what sets you apart from others. Best advice find someone to learn under , listen close to what they say , I've found my success in thir words and actions.

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CLL is dead on. It takes years to learn from an expert, lot of technique and trial and error. I have hunted with two of the best callers in my area and you can learn alot. A call that is fairly easy to master and I have had good success with is Johnny Stewart PC3.

[ 10-21-2003, 05:39: Message edited by: jbok ]

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's always good to see new interest in calling
predators.
There are alot of things to making a good call, and as in many things it's location, location, location.
Without coyotes, your not going to be very successful. Your camo is also "very" important, it needs to fit your surroundings. I personally prefer mouth blown calls, but to each his own. The rifle should fit the conditions, and be something you are confident in, remember if you can only see 150yds. you don't need an 18x scope, so don't over scope yourself. I also recommend shooting sticks, they don't have to be fancy, just functional. I made mind approx. 35yrs. ago and they still work fine. I make most of my favorite calls, but I think I basicly have "one of each" when it comes store bought.

Years ago, when I lived in Texas, I ask an old government trapper "What is the most important single thing to remember when calling coyote?" and his reply was very simple. He said "If your not even out there your making to much noise".
Nuff said....

Just the way I see it,,,,,,, [Roll Eyes]

[ 10-21-2003, 18:53: Message edited by: Ma Bell ]

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote