THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Anyone ever shot a Savage 12BVSS in 25-06?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever shot a Savage 12BVSS in 25-06?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was browsing savage's website and after hearing great things about the rifles chambered in .22-250 or other .22 centerfires, i was wondering if anyone had shot one in 25-06 or one of the other bigger calibers offered. How does it shoot?..I'm just now starting a search for something to vaporize groundhogs at longer ranges...(500 +) seems like the 25-06 would be a good choice. This would be THE rifle if it shot well. I guess i'll be saving up this summer for a new rig to fit the bill. Therefore, there is no rush, but i like to get some input on this. So let me hear what yall think!
Thanks,
Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Ruck...

I don't have the .25-06, but I have the 12BVSS in .243, and it's great! It really likes 75gr V-Maxes (the only bullet I have actually tried, in factory ammo and reloads), and is my gun of choice if/when the wind picks up, or for the little buggers waaaaaaaaaaaaay out there...

Just my two cents, but in a dedicated varmint rifle like the 12BVSS, I think the .243 might be a better choice than the .25-06. Recoil should be a little less in the .243, and the benefit of having a dual purpose varmint/hunting round like the .25-06 would be negated by the fact that this is a rifle that you will NEVER carry antelope hunting...

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddy has had two .25/06 Savages with heavy barrels, in the synthetic stocks, and I have a light barreled Savage, all three are excellent rifles, BUT, as noted above, they aren't "totin' around" rifles, they are heavy. The BVSS should shoot the 75 V Max into a half-inch, if it's anything like my friend's rifles, or mine, for that matter, but above 100 grains, they sometimes drop off accuracy wise. If you plan to shoot heavier bullets like the 117 or 120 grain, you will have a lot of experimenting to do, to find a bullet your rifle likes. I have settled on 100 gr. NPs for deer bullets, and the lovely little 75 V Max for everything else. Haven't seen one 25.06 that didn't love that little VMax.Good luck to you, whatever you decide, personally, I'd go for it, they are nice rifles.

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruck, You didn't even mention this one when you were here Saturday!!! 25-06....If I could only have one rifle(God forbid) it would be a 25-06!!! The varmint rifle from h... in the eyes of the varmints!! If you could still get Winchester 90 grain Positive Expanding Points and 87 grain Remington PowerLokt Hollow Points.......DEVASTATION...a long ways off! Now you can use 85 grain NoslerBT's or 87 grain VMaxs and cause pretty good DEVASTATION!!! I know where there is a Sendero SS fluted with a 6.5x20x40 Target turret Leupold on it that you may be able to pick up!! I know it shoots too! It was one of mine and the guy that has it doesn't shoot it enough to justify it and he would sell it!! Less than the 6x284 of Levi's but a good bit more than the 6x284 you shot here Saturday!! That one is gone!! One email and the guy said send it!!! When you coming back this way again? GHD....(pastor at the church of GHD...25-06)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
haha, yeah i wasn't really lookin at a 25-06 until i seen this savage rifle...man i dont know what all these people are talking about but i think it looks right sexy. I have never messed with a 25-06 but a good buddy of mine had one in a ruger #1 heavy barrel and it wouldn't shoot worht a lick...nothing less than 1" @ 100 yards...What is this rifle you speak of?...i haven't really messed with senderos but i sure love my 700 VLS...How does that one shoot? I could possibly do a complete rig for under what Levi wanted...just as long as it is a tackdriver!....let me know something!...as far as me coming back, i should be home this weekend....man i went scouting around here and saw 4 good size groundhogs and it won't but 40 degrees....prospects are lookin good ..time to give the 250 a workout..

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is exactly like the STW I was shooting last Saturday with a 6.5x20x40Leupold instead of a Nikon 6.5x20 like is on the STW. The rifle is in Roanoke. The best I know of it doing is .166@ 100 yards! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.166?....WOW...thats quite impressive! What does it average? If it's a shooter, which it sounds like it is, give me the details on it! i like the Remingtons....i love the 700 action. Find out what he wants for it. I also like the leupolds....people can say what they want, but i sure love all of the ones i have on mine. Let me know what you think! Oh yeah, what were you shooting in it to squeeze that one out?
Ruck

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a 110fp in 25/06 that i put a laminated stock on. with a 5.5x16 nikon scope it weighs 12.75lbs. it shoots .500 and under consistantly @ 200yds with 75v-max and 100 nosler bal. tips.(that is if i do my job) all the hype you read about savage being the most accurate out of the box rifle is absolutely the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

Posts: 34 | Location: sebring,fl | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 112BVSS in .25-06. I helped the bedding out, installed a Canjar single set trigger (pre accutrigger, breaks set at 2oz), Neco firelapped it (carefully), and put a 6X20 Leupold with target turrets on it. It's favorite load is in formed IMI .30-06 brass weight segregated with the necks cleaned up flash holes and primer pockets done. Powder is IMR 4831 9 1/2M rem primer, 100 grain Sierra SPBT molykoted at about 3,350ish.
This rifle will consistently (no BS) shoot in the .3's and .4's (5 shot groups) it will definately reach out and touch em! My longest rockchuck to-date is 679 yards off a Leica range finder.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 110 FLP (left handed tactical) in .25-06 Remington with a Leupold 6.5x20x40mm scope. I have bedded the action and installed a Sharp Shooter Supply trigger on it that breaks at 12oz. Mine will shoot 85g Ballistic Tips at 3550 fps into just over an inch for 5 shots at 300 yards on a calm day. That is good enough for me.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote