Find
Notify
Tools

gophers still out?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted
I just had a hernia operation and am gonna be out of work for a couple months. Once my testicles are back to regular size I would like to head out to my uncles ranch outside of Geyser. Are you Montanans still seeing a lot of gophers around? are things pretty dry? Also, what 22 ammo gives the best performance? I have been thinking stingers.
Salmon fishing is starting to pick up pretty good here so i am torn. I sure would like to bust a few more gophers with the ar. thanks guys.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still see a few out, mostly in the mornings and evenings. When I am not shooting my CZ.17 I use stingers in my Ruger 10/22T.

Posts: 266 | Location: Montana, up on the Highline | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to the range at sunrise this morn-saw some on the way back.

I believe if you can find a fresh cut field you will get some shooting in.

What is your uncles name I drove by Geyser for 15 years going from G Falls to Lewistown?

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
"Ouch" that sounds painfull I hope heal quickly so you can enjoy the gopher hunt.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullshooter: I also hope you heal quickly and properly!

I just drove 280 miles yesterday and went through some excellent Ground Squirrel country! I am certain the Ground Squirrels are starting their summer hibernation (proper term "estivation"). For instance in one stretch that is at 6,000' elevation I saw only 4 Gophers where I normally see hundreds! And in many areas the grass has not been yet cut for the first time! Normally they are on their second cutting by now! I would say 25% of the fields have not been cut yet! Having time on your hands is a good thing though and if you have time the Prairie Dogs ought to be ripe for the picking off over way east!

I was up about 150 miles north of here (Dillon, Montana) 12 days ago and ranged all over. Lots of Ground Squirrels then but high grass and absent land owners kept our shooting down in that new to me area.

The Ground Squirrels are due anytime to fully disappear until next spring. I would not advise you to travel out thisaway just to Hunt them. Having said that I am soon to be travelling to much lower elevations and if I see encouraging signs I will get back at ya!

For the last 2 years I have been using the Federal 550 pack hollowpoints. This year though they dropped the 550 pack down to 525. They are peppy and lethal on Ground Squirrels and I find them on sale often. Accuracy is pleasing in my main Gopher getters with them.

Heal well my friend!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote