Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Ruger 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted
A friend of mine let me test drive a Ruger M77 22-250 today. He bought it about 10-12 years ago and ended up not hunting with it because it's a heavy carry. He says that he's put about 1 box of ammo through it.

My question relates to groups etc and the potential for this rifle. I took out some Win bulk white box 45 grainers today and played with the rifle a bit. Not being familiar with the gun and shooting just before dusk in dimming conditions I was able to shoot a 5 shot 7/8 inch group. My only concern, which may not matter, is that there is a spot about a foot down the barrel (inside).

From the sounds of it and with some of you guys experience with Rugers, does this sound like it has the potential to be a good varminter?

Thanks for the input,
lc

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbMy cousin has the identical rifle and I have it in .243. Another cousin by marriage has it in .223. All three are tac drivers. Can't help you with the dark spot. lolroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my 2 cents worth. But, 5 shots in 7/8 is a great group as far as I'm concerned. You should try varies loads and see how they group. Some may do better, and some worse. Don't know what kind of spot you are talking about. It may be a rough spot in the rifling and copper built up etc. Clean the heck of it and see what it looks like then. It also may need more rounds to break in the barrel and smooth it up. I've shot some barrels that had a rough spot in them and some shot great. I have a 35 whelen that has a rough spot and it shoots great but, it cleans up, and it doesn't have many rounds thru it. I'm hoping that more rounds down the barrel will smooth it up. I know how things like this can eat you up. But, you can't go wrong with a 22/250 its a great round. Shoot the heck out of it and have a good time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two old tang safety Ruger 77s in the 22-250 and 220 Swift. They shoots groups under one inch at 100 Yds. That is a good group you fired if it was at 100 Yds. Is it the varmint modlel with what power and brand of scope? First clean the barrel with copper solvent like Sweets 7.62 Solvent to make sure the barrel is clean. The spot in the barrel then could be goin. If it is I would get the rifle. I adjusted the trigger pull down on my rifles and free floated the barrels. The 22-250 is a fine big varmint round. Space out your shots if you use it for prairie dog shooting, the barrel can get hot fast. But for larger varmints barrel heating is not a problem

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a m77 mark II arget in 22/250. Extremely aacurate. I am using the new barnes varmint grenades. Shooting one ragged hole for groups. Word of warning with this rifle though. If you plan on using heavy bullets, don't do it. Barrel is 1 in 14 twist. I was hoping to do some long range deer sniping with 53 grain barnes tiple shocks. But they won't stabilize.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have both a Ruger 77 Mk 2 and a Ruger 77 VT..
both are good shooters...

the VT for some reason, really loves the load of 32.5 grains of H 4895 and a 55 grain FMJ bulk bullet... it is way sub MOA...

all of my other 22.250s turn in real crappy groups with this load.. but that VT will actually do one hole groups with it, if I can hold in steady enough...

as mentioned by Tuck.. it is a one in 14 twist.. however, mine doesn't have a problem stabilizing a 53 grain bullet.. I haven't shot the triple shocks thru it, but the VLC in 53 grains, it has no problem with...

I also have a pair of 223s in the Ruger VT, and they are both good shooters.. I traded off one that had at least 13,000 rounds down the barrel and it was still a darn good shooter! the person who bought it put another 2000 down the barrel, and with a load of 25 grains of H 335 and a 55 grain ballistic tip, he was still getting dimed sized groups at 100 yds with it..

They really use to be a great value.. but like everything else are sure getting overpriced.....
but other than that, they are great firearms!

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
A little more info on the gun. The barrel is tapered but very heavy. I'm not really sure of the Ruger profile names. It isn't a straight cylinder though.

The scope is a Bushnell 2.5 x 10. The one where the side turret cover has antlers on it.

As I replayed the shooting session yesterday the barrel was slick after I cleaned it before shooting. I'm thinking that the spot may have been some fouling. I did let the barrel cool a bit between most shots. The barrel isn't floated. I'm pretty sure that it isn't bedded either.

The trigger pull isn't super light but it breaks crisply. I really think that the barrel just isn't broken in yet. I'm thinking that a maximum of 60 rounds have been through. It looks to be a 1989 manufacture date based on the Serial #.

I appreciate the feedback. It would seem that since I'm shooting that group at 100yds with factory ammo it's got good potential.

Is the mid range of the 45 to 65gr bullets considered best for the 1:14 twist?

What is the effective killing range for, say, coyote with a 22-250 in capable hands?

lc

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the mid range of the 45 to 65gr bullets considered best for the 1:14 twist?

What is the effective killing range for, say, coyote with a 22-250 in capable hands?

40 to 60 grains with a one in 14, although a few of the 60 grainers, 60 grVMaxes for example won't stabilize in the one in 14 twist...

64 grain bullets usually won't either...

over 60 grains, exceptions are the 63 grain Sierra, and the 70 grain Speer.. both are Semi Pointed and designed for the slower twists...

50 to 55 grains are the best bullet weights....
although I have a soft spot for the 60 grain Sierra HP...

Effective range for varmints is 500 yds plus... with good optics the round will shoot farther and better than most people can shoot with it..

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7/8" group with Winchester bulk white box is very encouraging. I'd say potential to be an excellent varminter.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by littlecanoe:
A little more info on the gun. The barrel is tapered but very heavy. I'm not really sure of the Ruger profile names. It isn't a straight cylinder though.lc

popcornI bought ,new, 2 ea. 257 Roberts, Ruger varmints with tang safeties that fit that description in 1972.
Gave one to my cousin who still shoots 1/2 MOA with it. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF IT PRINTS 7/8' WHAT SEEMS TO BE THE PROBLEM I HAVE A M2 THAT PRINTS 1/4" WITH 55GRS SO I HAVE TO ASK WHATS THE PROBLEM

Posts: 28 | Location: Northern Calif= Redwoods | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
ive got the M77VT and i have noticed that it really REALLY likes those cheap 45gr. Winchesters, and also doesnt do to bad with Remington Premiers 50 gr V-max

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all the feedback on this rifle. I'm not sure if it's me or the scope but I haven't been able to reproduce MOA at 200yds. I believe that the scope is a bushnell trophy 2.5 to 10. With my weaver grand slam, which is on another rifle, I can see the 22 holes at 200 yds. I can't with the Bushnell and it doesn't seem clear. Then it may just be the shooter!!

I have to make a decision by this weekend. We just purchased 57 acres, a small farm, so that may just put this purchase on hold.