Find
Notify
Tools

Quarterbore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
several friends of mine have, and swear by the 25-06 as a varmint and deer round.
Discussions recently highlighted the fact that there hasn't been a comparable short action quarterbore for example a 25-08. Just out of interest have any of you got any experience with this particular confection and is it a great deal different from the .243, what advantages does it confer etc

Regards

Z

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
250-3000?

Posts: 17 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stag wolf
posted Hide Post
Yes in think he is right 250-3000 sav. II think that most people who have not seen the light with the .2506 yet tend to just look to the .243 winchester for this area of gun, and the .260 is close to and has some comercial suport, So it looks like the .2506 will have to hold the fort for the .25 cal as the most popular and lets face it it can hold its own quite well as it is cant it now.?

Posts: 67 | Location: outside | Registered: 19 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The 25-308 is the wildcat known as the 25 Souper. It suffers from having the 243 on one side and the 260 on the other. There's not enough performance difference in that range to justify a factory round.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
There are several wildcats that fill this in but the Quartebore is often overlooked.

I use a .257 Roberts and a .25-06 and think quite highly of them in the deer and smaller catagory. The .257 DGR is nipping on the heals of the .25-06, as is the Souper and Durham Jet. Even the Roberts loaded up to modern pressures is right in there. The Hornady 75gr HP really drops 'yotes quick. I have also used the 100gr Nosler BT quite a bit for 'yotes and it is also a quick killer and handles the wind much better.

I couldn't tell much difference between a .243 and the Roberts, but the .25-06 does seem to be noticibly harder on them! Big Grin As if that were a problem! clap

I don't think I'd camp out behind one at a dog town as it would get really hot and burn a lot more powder than needed, but they are fun on coyotes. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote