THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Ground squirrels around Elko, NV?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ground squirrels around Elko, NV?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've got to drive to Elko in a couple weeks for a business trip and would like to get into LOTS of the little buggers.
I spent last Friday afternoon stooging around the Spring creek BLM land - but only saw squirrels in the sage brush immediately around houses. Nada out where a guy could actually shoot, though it looked quite squirrel-y.
I heard there are good numbers in the alphalfa fields south of carlin?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strictly hear say. I have heard there are Belding ground squirrels in the mountains north of Elko. forget the name of the range. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask at one of the local bars or feed stores. Chances are you'll bump into a farmer in need real fast.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also around Eley I've seen rockchucks. I'm sure there are also some around Elko.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nomo, the mountain range is the Jarbidge. A friend of mine hunted deer there a few years ago. He told me there were a lot of ground squirrels when he scouted the area. Fishing is supposed to be good too. Also look for Rockchucks as mentioned above. Please let us know if you find anything. It would be worth it to me to take a trip specific for ground squirrels. I love shooting them. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. This week I'm heading to Boise area and will work a bit and 'play' a bit out where there are reputed to be lots of the little guys.

When I go to Elko again I'll see if a trip north into the mtns can fit the schedule.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWD:
Ask at one of the local bars or feed stores. Chances are you'll bump into a farmer in need real fast.

I have found the best place to get info about local sage rat shooting and permission at the same time is in a local bar, on a Friday night..

buy a few good old boys a beer and you'll get all sorts of permission to come out and shoot the little pests..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx, but bars bore the piss outta me.