THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    20 Calibers...20 BR & 20/250 AIs...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 Calibers...20 BR & 20/250 AIs...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As is well known, I have taken a lot of heat, (some questioning my lineage, some my intelligence, and some just getting plain nasty)
for not warming up to the 204....

It just couldn't light my fire, and especially after my disappointments in the hubub about the 17 HMR, which I puruchased several and was pretty disappointed in the long run... I just have held off on taking the 20 caliber plunge..

While the 20 caliber on the fireball case( for efficiency) or the 222 or 223 cases ( for low cost brass availability).. seem more practical to me...

ON the performance end, I don't think the 204 gave me a darn thing I couldn't accomplish with the 223 with all the 22 calibers bullets available for it...

However, some of the wildcats did possess an interest for me... I was leaning toward the 20 BR as what I thought would give me more of what I was looking for... also adding some of the flexibility in handloading I look for....

Well another gentleman on another forum has done me the courtesy of bringing to my attentions, on some of the results he has with a 20/250 AI... He was even so kind as to send me a couple of shot cases from his rifle to use for reference...

Velocity results were impressive of course...

But this gentleman and I also think alike.. which is a good thing!

He has put together a rifle with a Pac Nor Barrel, in 20/250 AI, utilizing a POLYGONAL barrel with a one in 11 twist, which is better for stabilizing the larger 20 caliber bullets...

For gunsmiths that I trust, the polygonal twist is much more resistant to wearing out with cartridges that are known for doing so...

Another key, point of interesting info he supplied me with, and which I was not looking favorably at the 204 with, is some test results using Blue Dot!

He indicated he worked up a load of 17 grains of Blue Dot, with a 32 grain Sierra... and it is chronographing at 3600 fps, while turning in 1/4 inch groups at 100 yds, with the Pac Nor barrel.....

Needless to say, I am impressed!!!!!

So I am going to look at getting a 20 BR barrel and a 20/250 barrel to play with on this Bore diameter.....

Blue Dot seems to really like Short Fat cases even better than conventional cases.. even tho it does a good job in conventional cases, it does a better job in short and fat...

I found the 22.250 case the most flexible with Blue Dot of all, so the same should hold true in the 20 caliber..

So it will be a wait until the barrels get ordered and come in.. but I plan on working up some load development using Blue Dot on these cases and will post the results when it is all said and done...

Then maybe Groundhog Devistation and Varmint Guy will actually think my mom did give birth to an intelligent kid after all!

beer
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, there was a great article on the 20BR in a "Varmint Hunter" magazine around 1999. If there are any members here that can help with that issue it was great reading. Speeds up 4400 fps with lighter bullets and over 4000 with heavies. I built a 20PPC a while back for a friend, but he has'nt had time time work up loads yet. Since I have the reamer and a spare 20 Shillen I may build one for myself.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received a dummy round in 20/250 AI today...

Big case, little bullet... kinda looks like a great dane with a head from a lap dog.....

The biggest thing that keeps me returning to 22 caliber stuff.. is hand loading...

My fingers can handle those 22 cal bullets just fine...

those little 20 caliber and 17 caliber bullets, I can barely even pick one up..

I think I am going to be stuck that my smallest varmint round will be 22 caliber shooting a 40 grain bullet...

Loading bullets using a pair of the wife's tweezers is just a little too un-macho for my book....

MVs look impressive.. small bullets, don't!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire, A good day afield with you and VG and myself would definitely be a MEMORY to be cherished!! Shooting WTH ever we bring!! For myself it would be the 17HMR, the .204, the .222Magnum and the 6mm and the 25-06 and the .260!! For VG??????? Probably about the same!..........VG would add that damn Swift!! Uh-oh!!...... I'd probably have to have a 22-250 included somehow.............just not necked down to .204 as in your 20-250 scenario!! My .223 offering would be from an XP-100 though!! Factory stuff at .27cents a round and dead vermin, exploded, red mist in the air, and I didn't waste time, effort, powder and components to develop it!! HOWEVER, Your suggestions on the slow pistol powders hold merit!! Big Grin Cannot wait to head to the varmint fields with you someday!! We'll "airmail invitations home" and "let them meet Jesus"!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Charlie, if I ever get a chance to visit the relative back in Monroe County, I am going to have to give you a call...

or if you ever have the ability to get to Montana..I could head over that way, and we can give Dale a call.. he is in the phone book there in Dillon...

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:

Another key, point of interesting info he supplied me with, and which I was not looking favorably at the 204 with, is some test results using Blue Dot!

He indicated he worked up a load of 17 grains of Blue Dot, with a 32 grain Sierra... and it is chronographing at 3600 fps, while turning in 1/4 inch groups at 100 yds, with the Pac Nor barrel.....

So I am going to look at getting a 20 BR barrel and a 20/250 barrel to play with on this Bore diameter.....

Blue Dot seems to really like Short Fat cases even better than conventional cases.. even tho it does a good job in conventional cases, it does a better job in short and fat...

I found the 22.250 case the most flexible with Blue Dot of all, so the same should hold true in the 20 caliber.

OK Seafire, "fess up" it's the Blue Dot that did it. Big Grin beer

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
quote:

I found the 22.250 case the most flexible with Blue Dot of all, so the same should hold true in the 20 caliber.

OK Seafire, "fess up" it's the Blue Dot that did it.

Jim

Sorry, Seafire could not be reached for comment.. he is reportedly out somewhere varmint shooting.. with a couple of thousand rounds of 223 brass, loaded with Blue Dot powder...

UPdate in the 11 o'clock news...

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
quote:

OK Seafire, "fess up" it's the Blue Dot that did it.

Jim

Sorry, Seafire could not be reached for comment.. he is reportedly out somewhere varmint shooting.. with a couple of thousand rounds of 223 brass, loaded with Blue Dot powder...

UPdate in the 11 o'clock news...

I will accept that. Big Grin

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote