New
Find
Notify
Tools

pdog question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have never been on a prairie rat shoot. What is the best time to go? are there any good websites dedicated to the sport? Thanks

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Here in Colorado, the PD season is in full swing. I like to start about the end of May and hunt until September when other things get going. There are numerous sites dealing with varmint hunting...and the Varmint Hunters Association (VHA). VHA has a great magazine about hunting all different types of small critters. They also host a Jamboree every year where you can get one heckuvalot of free info.
Have fun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I am headed for Winner, SD next week. So, no time like the present.

D. [Smile]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
We start here the end of May, pups are up and running. Lots of active targets. Don't always expect the classic standing mound shot. Our shooting is hide and seek in the brush and bushes. Pups are running, fighting with each other. Utah has limited shooting, but we have some good areas we shoot, on BLM and private ranches. Three times out so far, past Sunday was best shoot. Shot 100 7-08 rds in Savage FP, 40 rds is Savage 223 BVSS, 17 rds in 300 win FP Savage. I do most of the shooting at longer range, fewer actual hits, but the 800+ yd range is more challenging. The 7-08, 260 AI and 300 win really shine in the 800+ yardage. Bullets are 130 MK in the 7mm, 107 MK in the 260 AI and 180 MK in the 300 win. Scopes are 6-24 Elite, Weaver T16s, Burris 6-20s. Looking to confirm my first 1050 yd kill with the 300 Win, Have Leica 1200 scan RF on its way. Took two extreme range dogs with 300 Win on 5/26, approx 950 and 1050 yds. Will confirm range with Leica.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After a bad experience two years ago, in mid-May, my vote goes to early June, on thru September. In SD, mid-May has some potential for unsettled weather( we had 45mph winds with 65mph gusts, sure was sporting!) I like a gentle breeze to keep me cool and dumb young dogs, early June will satisfy me for that. Take lots of sunscreen, and watch out for the windburn, too, Have fun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious. There are no gophers where I am. Ontario, Canada. Are gophers like ground hogs and actually hibernate? Is there a regulated season?

Posts: 113 | Location: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sunray,
Here in central Idaho we have what is called a Columbia ground squirrel. About 2/3rds. the size of a p. dog. They come out in mid March and are out till mid July. Our numbers don't compare with the gopher shooting in Mont., E. Org. or N. Nev. but still alot of fun. Two weeks ago I killed 77 out of 84shots in about 2hours. Ranges from 50-225yds., shooting a 17Rem. built on a single shot Sako. Now, I'am out of it for awhile recovering from cancer surgery. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys, I just picked up a M70 22-250 and after I get some time at the bench with it, and work up some loads, I am dying to try it on prairie rats. I'll let you know how it goes.

[ 06-16-2003, 21:04: Message edited by: 375hnh ]

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375hnh:
I am dying to try it on prairie rats.

I just got back from shooting a few rodents myself.

Interested to hear guides refer to them as "Pasture Poodles".

As a result of visiting a Friend in South Western Montana, I am now building a 17 HMR on a Ruger 10/22 in .22 Mag.

Lilja Barrels has drop in no-smithing barrels in stock for this rifle, for $335. Heck of a deal and 25" long which considerably boosts MV.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete; I really hope you have a complete and full recovery. A friend of mine is not going to be so lucky. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any day the sun shines..........

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote