New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint Scope Coup!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I attended the Bozeman, Montana Gunshow yesterday and did so as a "walk around" seller/buyer. In other words I did not have a table but did have a car trunk and back pack full of "goodies".
I sold quite a number of items and took advantage of the "good times" economically and the large crowd of Gun-nuts attending the show in my dealings.
My "coup" though was wheeling and dealing on a mint condition (as new!) Redfield 5 Star 4 by 12 power (made in America model) variable scope. This scope has the adjustable ranging system and I took it outside late in the day and gave it a good going over before "going to work" on the owner.
The owner made the "fatal" mistake of mentioning that he had money woes and needed to sell his various wares ASAP!
The sales tag on the Redfields box was marked $249.99 and the owner was asking $160.00 for it. To make a long story short I got the scope in the box and like new for $91.00!
Now I have to find a Rifle (he-he!) for it.
I most probably will use it for trading stock on a higher powered, used, variable scope - maybe by Leupold, Nikon or Sightron.
I did focus the VERY fine focal lens to my eye early this morning in the clear, thin, high mountain air and the intense, rising sun, light.
It IS clear! I will say that for this Redfield.
Scope prices anymore have become simply outrageous!
I will (and have) resort to "extra-ordinary" measures to get scopes for my Varminting needs!
Some of these extra-ordinary measures include begging for money from family members at Christmas and birthday times, working for cash (off the books!), barterring, attending more garage sales and estate sales for buying and reselling for a profit, and attending more Gunshows with an eye not so much for collecting but for buying cheap in one room (or at one show) and selling higher at the next!
I simply can not guess when or where scope prices will top out at!
I will say this, that I have gone from a nearly 100% Leupold buyer over the last 3 decades to as of recently becoming a Nikon, Sightron, Weaver kind of guy!
Leupolds prices are just horrifically high and inexcusable!
Jack Slack (one of the founders and owners of Leupold Inc. as well as a world class Varminter!) is rolling over in his grave today! Since his passing in August of 1997 Leupold has become a "money whore" - there is simply no other way to describe their pricing.
I wish them the best in the future, but they are "cruisin for a bruisin" in my opinion!
Also this, does anyone have any field and range experience with this 5 Star Model Redfield adjustable ranging 4x12 variable scope?
I would love to hear your experiences with it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I can not speak to the Golden 5 Star in 4-12x40 but I have owned a Golden 5 Star 6-18x40 for many years and it is one of my favorite scopes.
I would rate it right along with the VXIII's, Monarch's, Grand Slams, etc.. It has been on many rifles and is currently on my 20 BR. Very good optics and very repeatable adjustments. If I have any complaints it would be the AO that has to be tightened down and the eye relief is about 2.5".

I would buy another quickly if I found a good buy on one.

Mine has seen a good 2000 critters get dusted over the years.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stormbringer: Thanks a lot for your insights.
I to was quite impressed with the clear image and fine focusing of this scope.
I may just keep it.
I also like the overall looks and design of this scope. It would look good on top of most any Rifle.
Thanks again.
Continued good luck with the 6x18 as well to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a golden 5 star 3-9x40 on my ruger 77r 22-250 sporter. I like the scope lot. The bullet comp work well at the range out to 500 yards. Have never use it when shooting coyotes always shot them at less than 200 yards.

Ruger#1 one shot=clean kill!

Posts: 6 | Location: Denver , CO | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Probably 15 years ago, I went to the gunshop to buy a 3x9 scope for one of my .300 Wins. I more or less assumed it'd be a Leupy I'd be going home with. The owner laid out the Leupold, a Gold 5-Star and a Simmons Aetec. Side-by-side-by-side, the Redfield was clearer and brighter than the others......and $30 cheaper than the Leupold. That 5-Star's still a good glass.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted Hide Post
I have 2 old Illuminators with the RF reticule and TV ocular bell.
These are simply outstanding for low light but I prefer higher mag for my shooting. The only scope I would say that is actually clearer is a Zeiss Diavari 3-9 from the early 90s.
Was the 5 star a higher or lower spec than the Illuminator?
The only thing I don't like about the old Rdfields is the adjustment has no clicks on and I worry that they may move (especially on the 270).

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote