THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Ground Hog Devastation--here's one test w/AA2230

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ground Hog Devastation--here's one test w/AA2230
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
SF and MH, That AA2230 is a "closet sister"!!! The guy that gave it to me was into the "WHISPERS" deal!!...both 30 and 50 calibers!!! It was one of those "I'm in the reloading room, what do do now?!!!!!" things. The stuff is bad news(actually good news) for the 222family of cartridges!!! SF, Did you have the chronograph set up for the test? If not, wait till you do!!!!
MH, If you don't have an extra rifle for the "hunt", "I'll let you borrow one!!!"hahahahahahahahahaha GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leave it to GHD to bring us load data....I love his .204, and cant wait to watch him bust prarie dogs with it next year when we make our voyage to the midwest. I am going to do my best to hang with my.22-250. I have to get another rifle between now and May, and I have not made my decision as to what it will be. Maybe .204, who knows?

Posts: 157 | Location: SW Virginia | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stayed up until about 1:30 a.m. getting 4 casings resized, trimmed, chamfered, deburred, primed, powder charges weighed on both the balance beam and PACT digital scale and 32 gr. V-Max bullets seated. I only tried one powder charge weight and that was 27.0 gr. with the Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Here is a scan of the 4-shot group--not bad for just the first load with that powder. I wonder how good the groups could be if I worked at finding the sweet spot load??

I think I jerked a little bit on the fourth shot, but even so, the group is respectable enough and just roughly measuring center-to-center with a ruler, I get about .675", give or take a few thousandths.

Thanks for the tip on the AA2230 powder there GHD. I may have to give that powder a real workout next spring when I start going after prairie dogs.

In the meantime, I may try it with my 35 gr. Berger FB HP to see if I can come up with a load that is better than the H4895 load I have worked up. Sooooo many powders and so little time!!!!

Posts: 192 | Location: Northwest North Dakota | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With Quote