Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Life
 Login/Join

posted
Thanks for all the info i received on my other post.
Now you have raised another question, how much of a barrel life could I expect between the .223, 22-250, and the .204

Thanks guys

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Get the 22-250 in a Savage and when the BBL wears out you can unscrew it easy to replace. !

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being concerned about barrel life is like being concerned about tire life. If you want it to last a real long time......don't shoot/drive it. Then it will last forever.
I have an old Savage 22-250 that I bought used (its was a beater then to start with)That to this day seven years later has killed several truck loads of prairie dogs and shot many thousands of rounds. Who knows maybe 6000-7000 and it still makes confirmed kills way out there. It has been hot enough to light a fire, bounced around behind the seat of a farm truck, been used by a dozen different 'trainee' shooters and about the last thing I worry about is replacing the barrel

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Crghanson,

I think Short44 and Skb2706 both have good comments.

Barrel life has alot to do with how you treat the barrel. I think how hot your loads are is the main factor, and how hot you let the barrel get in a shooting session is a contributing factor. Your choice of cleaning rod and methods is another variable.

With reasonable loads in each they will last for thousands of rounds with the edge maybe going to the .223 (JMO) If the "throating" has not gone too far down the barrel, it may be possible to cut and rechamber and get another couple of thousand rounds out of the same barrel.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdhntr1:
Crghanson,

I think Short44 and Skb2706 both have good comments.

Barrel life has alot to do with how you treat the barrel. I think how hot your loads are is the main factor, and how hot you let the barrel get in a shooting session is a contributing factor. Your choice of cleaning rod and methods is another variable.

With reasonable loads in each they will last for thousands of rounds with the edge maybe going to the .223 (JMO) If the "throating" has not gone too far down the barrel, it may be possible to cut and rechamber and get another couple of thousand rounds out of the same barrel.

Jim

All good stuff here. I have a .244/6mm Rem (1 in 10 twist) varmint rifle that was built in '55-‘57 or so. It still shoots very well with many thousands of rounds through it. I don't push my loads, or let it get extremely hot, either.

The jury is still out on the .204 (actually it hasn't even convened yet!). The .223 is the least overbore of these rounds and all things being equal should have less barrel erosion than the others.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have much mre barrel life out of a .204 and .223, 6000+, if treated well.
The .22-250 is a throat and barrel burner, a freind who is a rifle smith with a bore scope,
has told me this info and has also concluded, that copper fouling in the 22-250 gets so high, that if not properly cleaned, will pit the barrel badly in a quick time.
He has seen more pitted swift, 22-250 barrels than any other varmint caliber.

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Just want to add that I have seen more barrels worn out by poor cleaning practices than bullets. A lot of people still clean a barrel from the muzzle end. Also most don't even know what a bore guide is. Add to this the use of stainless steel bristle brushes, brushes with sharp ended center wires, and totally inappropriate chemicals and the bore-war is on!

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that proper gun care (including not using loads that are too hot) is the primary consideration in barrel wear. A properly maintained barrel in ANY caliber will out-shoot a neglected one every time. Plus, unless you plan on shooting thousands of rounds a year through your rifle, it may be a less important consideration than it's sometimes hyped up to be.

Buy a Savage--they're easy to rebarrel!

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .220 swift and clean it after every use.My reloads run approx.3800 fps.( 55 gr.slugs)and the barrel looks great after 2500 rounds.

Posts: 29 | Location: Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on how you use the rifle. Most of my shooting today is from the bench, and if you use the better SS Varmint Heavy Barrels they'll cost you more than a few coins. After paying for a couple of Hart SS barrels I changed my ways. Now before each shot I place my hand right in front of where the action begins. If it's too hot to leave my hand there I wait it out, go have a whiz, drink a cola or smoke a cigarette. Anything, but don't fire that hot barrel.
You can burn out a barrel quickly if you're not careful. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, four thousand round over forty years won't wear out a barrel; four thousand rounds over four hours will.

But let's put it this way: At 25 cents per shot (bullet, powder, primer, 5-7 loadings per case, and equipment amortization), the ammunition to "wear out" any of the barrels in calibers you mention will cost you three to four times the cost of replacing a barrel. So what's the issue?

But in direct answer to your question, treated in the same way, you could expect the .22-250 to show deterioration first, followed by the .204 and the .223. The difference won't be much.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by short44:
Get the 22-250 in a Savage and when the BBL wears out you can unscrew it easy to replace. !

I have never owned a micro grooved barreled rifle but am looking to buy a Savage 12BVSS-S.

In comparison how does the micro groove compare in the ware department to other barrels? thumbor thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by short44:

I have never owned a micro grooved barreled rifle but am looking to buy a Savage 12BVSS-S.

In comparison how does the micro groove compare in the ware department to other barrels? thumbor thumbdownroger

I though Micro-groove was the name of the small, many multi groove Marlin rifling. My Savages barrels have normal looking rifling in them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
In my experience, four thousand round over forty years won't wear out a barrel; four thousand rounds over four hours will.

quote:
Originally posted by Cal Sibley:
A lot depends on how you use the rifle. Now before each shot I place my hand right in front of where the action begins. If it's too hot to leave my hand there I wait it out, go have a whiz, drink a cola or smoke a cigarette. Anything, but don't fire that hot barrel.
You can burn out a barrel quickly if you're not careful. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Both of these guys make sense. I too put my hand on the barrel to check for heat. I only wonder how hot is too hot? By the time it's too hot for my hand, it might already be too hot to shoot. I also open the bolt up, it seems to cool faster.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

I though Micro-groove was the name of the small, many multi groove Marlin rifling. My Savages barrels have normal looking rifling in them.[/QUOTE]

Some how in my weak mind I was equating button groove with micro groove.Thanks Flold. Red Faceroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote