THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    .204 Ruger or 220 swift which one should I get?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.204 Ruger or 220 swift which one should I get?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am lacking a varmit rifle .I had a short barreled 22-250 but it was too pretty to hunt with .It was a full stock Ruger Model 77 old model.I clocked it at the same as a 223 rem .I want a long range rifle for fox,lynx,coyote,maybe wolf but I have a 264 win mag for that job.I like the idea of the 204 ruger but its too small for wolf.I found a couple of 220 swifts I like.The Ruger heavy barrel old model and new model and the weatherby single shot?What would be the barrel life of each in 204 Ruger and 220 swift?

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted Hide Post
I must admit that I do have more favortism towards the swift. I have a Ruger 77V 220 Swift (Old Tang safety) and I would part with my wife before before that rifle. (Don't tell her! )

Here is the hard part of your decision:
1. Be the first one on your block with a Ruger 204.
2. Velocity average is better than the swift.

Here is the easy part of your decision:
1. Swift is and has been proven for long range shooting for years.
2. Lots of brass available.
3. Lots of bullets to choose from for reloading for vs. 20 cal. bullets.
4. Fully capable of sucking ground hogs out of their hole at 300 yards or taking speed goats (antelope) or whitetails.
5. Ruger or Remington take your pick.

I love new calibers....I plan on buying a 204 too. But if I had to pick one...It would be the 220 Swift hands down.

Good Luck,
Ben

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: Keep velocities around 3800FPS and the swift barrel life will most likely last a life time. Then some!

Ben

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Deutsch.

Why go with a round that is new, when you can have one that has been around forever, and has the wide availability of 22 caliber bullets, versus one or two in a 20 caliber?

If you are looking for economy, what is wrong with the old 223?

Of since you already have a 22/250, get a heavy barreled one, and you have two rifles that can use the same ammo.

It is beyond me why everyone gets all fired up about all of these new rounds, when they don't do anything, that another one that has been around a long time can't do as well, if not better.

A 204 Ruger might have fast MV but based on bullet weight and sectional density and BC, it looses that velocity faster than a 55 grain or higher 22 caliber bullet.

If you want small caliber and fast, I personally would look at the 19 Calhoon then. Calhoon offers a batch of decent bullets for it,and I think his research bears out proof of the 19 calibers superiority over the 17 and 20 calibers, and the 22 calibers for that matter. www.jamescalhoon.com

Good luck with whatever you choice is tho.
Cheers
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
220 Swift is something I wanted 30 years ago when Ruger brought it back.I sold both 22-250s I had.I reload with a Dillion 550 reloader so I might not be able to get a .20 powder measure.I love old tang safety Rugers I can shoot as fast as a double barrel shotgun with them.There are lots of times on snap shots at varmits that this is important.Weatherby made some single shot 220 swifts not many I heard.I like Rugers and had lots of good luck with them.I wanted a stainless fiberglass stocked rifle not too heavy.How much does your heavy barreled old Ruger 220 swift Weigh?What is the barrel life of the 220 swift?The old one I found has had 500 rounds through it.I would love Light weight 204 Ruger stainless if it had 24" barrel not 20 inch.I am leaning toward the old Ruger Varmit 220 swift.I do think the 204 Ruger is a cool new gun that we didnt know we needed.

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I lucked into an older Savage in .220 Swift. I love it.
I too am looking at the .19 Calhoun. None of my shooting buddies have .220's or .17's or .19's. All have .22-250's and .223's. I see those as Ford Mustangs,as everyone has one.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello dgr416,

I would suggest the .220Swift. The velocity is about the same for both cartridges, but you'll be shooting a heavier bullet that won't be affected as much by the wind. On a personal note, I'd keep the velocity, as was suggested earlier, under 4000fps. If you have an accurate rifle there's little point in burning out the barrel, which is easy to do with the Swift. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Burning Barrels:
I personally have never seen a burnt barrel from a Swift from a modern production rifle. Rifles built in the 50's, 60's and some early 70's..Yes.

Rifles built in the 80's and most certainly newer can take any normal wear and tear the shooter can give.

I personally keep my swift at 3800FPS. Keeping your barrel cool is the key to accuracy and a long barrel life. If you want fast shooting and easy barrel replacement...Shoot a AR-15. Nothing wrong with a well built up AR either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say that under 300 yards the 204 would be nice, over 300 the swift will shine with the higher bc. With the swift you have the option to shoot 40 grain bts, or 35 grain bergers at well over 4200 fps. I think the swift would give you more options. Good luck!

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for your use.220 Swift. I see the .204 more as a replacement for a .223 than competition for a Swift which it aint! I think the .204 might be a neat prairie dog rifle, if wind doesn't kill it, it should be at least as good as a .223 and easier to hit with. A .220 Swift barrel with hot loads should last 4000 rounds if you don't overheat them, my last barrel went that long, still shot .75-1.00 but the throat looked like hell.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For down right high performance, you can't beat a .220 Swift. I have the Remington 700 VSSF, and will never part with it. Like all the others say, 3800 fps is ideal for the Swift. Just keep the bore clean, and don't overheat it.
In regards to Calhoon 19's. I have both the .19-223, and the .19 Calhoon (Hornet). The .19-223 is extremely flat shooting. And incredibly accurate. Three hundred yards is no problem at all. In addition, Calhoon makes 27g, 32g, 36g, 40g, and 44g bullets for this caliber. Had I shot the .19-223 first, I probably would have refrained from buying a .17 Remington (that's a lie, I still would have bought one!). The .19-223 just flat out, out performs the .17 Remington down range. With a whole safe full of varmint rifles, I find myself reaching for the .19's more and more. The Swift usually plays second fiddle, unless the clover is really whipping. Then it gets the nod.

Posts: 15 | Location: Berks County, PA | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The single shot Weatherby's that CDNN had sold out quick so its between the old ruger model 77 and the new Ruger model 77 mark II.I hunted deer with the old safety for almost 20 years.I really dont like the Remingtons varmit sendero stock shape.I wish I could find the old model I think in a 26 inch sporter barrel.If I got that shot light weight Ruger in 204 with the 20 inch barrel how many fps would I loose?I just hate to drag around a dang 11 or 12 pound gun a long ways.There are a few of the ugly stocked blued Rugers in 220 swift around with 24" barrel.I wont be shooting parire dogs .I even forgot about that one.I want around 8 pounds or less scope and all .Is the 24" barrel long enough for the Swift barrel?It will most likely be coyotes and foxes .Is the 220 swift up to shooting wolves?I was going to use my 264 win mag for that.If so what bullets should I use for wolves in the 220 swift.Its kinda difficult to get this in one gun one load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 24" barrel is just fine for a Swift. The velocity loss for a 204 between 20 and 24" may be about 120 fps.

The Swift will outrange the 204 no matter what. The initial high velocity of the less sleek .20 caliber bullet does not last long.

The thing about being ready for all game is that you have to carry enough gun. This is why you might want to consider a 243 Win or 6mm Rem.

Skip the 204 for now. That stuff is for guys like me who have almost everything and I am not getting one. I just carry the Swift. Like Pecos 45 said "The Swift is the closest thing to a death ray that you can legally own"

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had about everything.I got 264 last year and 250 savage didnt like it though.I always wanted 220 swift.Is the 223 wssm faster than the swift?It looks that way with heavier bullets.I might go with both in a years time.I will see if 204 runs or flops first.I have 243 win in Ruger model 77 old model need fiberglass stock on it wood bedding is not good on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is the 220 swift up to shooting wolves?

Hell yes! I grew up in Montana and the my swift puts a DEAD stop to those "Speed Goats" and Whitetails. Wolves would be no problem with the right bullet for the swift.

Here is a algebra problem that is easy to solve:

Dead critters = Proper bullet placement x penetration x weight retention/expansion. (Dc=Pbp x P x Wr/e)

Ben