Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 Does the Deed
 Login/Join

posted
I just got back my H&R 204 from the factory the other day. I sent it back because I couldn't get it to group less than 2.5 inches with factory ammo. They sent me a new barrel. My Uncle and I went out to dust some ground squirrels and rock chucks today. I felt bad for dusting a big old fat mama chuck. Flung her T.U. with a 32 gr. Vmax at 4000 ft. volocity. Shot was about 125 yds away.

Here's another one with about a 150 yd shot. This is the front view.

Here's what it did on the back side.

Here's looking back towads the vehicle on very nice May day in south eastern Idaho. Snow still in the tops of the mountains.

I also just got a new video cam. I learned how to take a frame from the MiniDV tape and transfer it to a SD Flash card. This allows you to select a frame and then save it.

Here's a pic of my uncle shooting a little high and to the right of this chuck. This one was zoomed in so it's a little fuzzy. How did the 22-250 fail him? Crosswind was about 15 to 20 mph.

Posts: 1 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Welcome and great pics. Obviously the new barrel does the trick. Howz it grouping?
Did you have them do a trigger job when they fit the new barrel?

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have learned what the .204 will do!!! More fun than eatin' beans!!! And like you, I feel bad when I bust a mama chuck(groundhogs here in the East)!! That's why on dedicated hunting areas(places where good hunting oppurtunities exist) I DO NOT SHOOT THEM UNTIL AFTER MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!! We shoot the ones we find out in kudzu banks, brair thickets, hillside woodlands that are not really huntable in "PRIME TIME" due to the vegetation! If you shoot a mama chuck now, March April, early May, you have effectively eliminated 4-6 potential targets for later on!! Enjoy the .204 but try to "sustain the renewable target resource!!" GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idvarmint: I have done a lot of Chuckin in Idaho!
Your nifty pictures bring back years of memories of the lava rock country!
How well does your new 204 barrel shoot - by the way?
And welcome from me as well to the forum!
If you need any load info and/or are considering doing some handloading I have gotten some great direction and ideas for my 204's off of this board.
Is that I-15 in the back ground of one of those pics?
I live just a mile off of I-15 up in Montana.
I have really been impressed with all aspects of the 204 Ruger's I own!
Great... no... fantastic cartridge for Varminting the 204 is!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG;I just got a TC Contender in 204.I havent shot it yet I have ordered some Federal ammo to get started.What brss do you prefer and any advise on bullets this a 14inch pistol.Others input welcome as well.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote