THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    New Remington Catalog Is Out....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Remington Catalog Is Out....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The 2003 Remington Catalog has finally made it to SW Montana. Lots of new Rifles and shotguns in it. Including a handsome new model of the Remington 40X and several other centerfire models. There is lots of pleasing art work scattered around inside the catalog. Lots of new accessories and knives. They also show the new Remington ammunition for the 17 HMR along with ballistic info for it.
The Sendero will come in some new and powerful calibers for 2003. The wonderful 222 Remington still is only offered in one Model of the 700 line. This is a mistake!
Neat catalog be sure and pick one up.
Hold into the wind
VarmitGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
All this info was put on their web~site about a month ago. I like the SAUM in the Sendero rifle.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope the catalog is better quality than their guns. A friend knows one of the new owners,and he commented , when remington was purchased , that the fellow was the type that wants to make a fast buck. It certainly has proven to be correct.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im a die hard remington fan and have owned more than I can count over the years and have had flawless performance from everyone that I have owned.

Posts: 92 | Location: Church Hill,Tn | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Gunnerdog>
posted
Mete, who would be this "new" owner?

I was under the impression that no ownership changes have occured at Remington since 1993. That's 10 years! Kind of long for a "new" owner.

And, I am also under the impression that Remington is not owned by an individual, nor even a few individuals. It is owned by RACI Acquistions!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the group that took over in 1993.You should check back through fairly recent postings in the gunsmithing section , there is a discussion about remingtons which include comments from a number of gunsmiths. On another forum there was a question - if you owned remington what would you do ?- many of the respones involved quality control. Having worked in the QC field I am well aware of all the aspects of it and I have to say that there is no excuse for poor quality. The saddest story of QC is what happened to S&W where quality disappeared in the late '70s. What was onc e a company that made the finest handgun in the world ( they earned that reputation) became one that many shooters haven't even thought about for the last 20 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GentleVarminters: Let me defend Remington Rifles here a little. I have purchased several Remingtons since 1993 and I Varmint Hunt quite happily with all of them. Now remember I am in no way connected or beholding to Remington in any fashion. I still think they are a very good value IN TODAYS MARKET!
The last several Remingtons I have purchased I will relay to you their accuracy (primary concern) and my opinions on their fit, finish and function!
1) Remington 700 SS-DBM in 25/06 I purchased this Rifle for my teenagers 2 1/2 years ago and put a Leupold 4.5X14 on it. I got a good deal on 5 boxes of Remington ammo (100 gr. PSP) at the same time and that Rifle shoots 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 with that ammo. It has killed 3 Antelope and 2 Mule Deer. It was just fine from the factory except for the trigger which I adjusted and the trigger now is perfect! No creep and crisp as can be!
2) Remington 700 Varmint Model VLS in caliber 260 Remington (limited edition I think). I put a Leupold 6.5X20 on this Rifle and handload for it. My first range session with this Rifle was 1/8/2003 and after barrel break in I had five shots left over - the Rifle put those five shots in .451" at 100 yards. This grouping was with the FIRST load I tried in the Rifle! The Rifle was only modified in one way. I adjusted the trigger. I am extremely pleased with all aspects of this Rifle and can't wait to do some long range Coyote, Rock Chuck and Antelope Hunting with it.
3) Remington 700 Classic in 17 Remington on which I put a Leupold 4X12 AO on. The third load tested after breakin gave these 3 five shot groups at 100 yards. .596", .787" and .562"! I think I will keep this one as it is a Coyote killing machine. Again only a trigger job on this Rifle! Very nice wood on this Classic!
4) Remington 700 VSS in 17 Remington (yes this is a factory stock Rife with 26" stainless steel barrel - limited production of 1,000 Rifles I heard!) I put a silver Leupold 6.5X20 on it in Hart ring/bases and did a trigger job only on it. The last 4 groups I shot with it last April were .598", .413", .851" and .469" my loading log listed the conditions as poor with 6 to 8 MPH winds and gray light! Berger Bullets in this sweetheart! This IS a beautiful Rifle!
5) In late November of 1995 I purchased a new in the box Remington 700 Classic in 222 Remington at a Gun Show. I put a Lyman 10X scope on it and did the obligatory trigger job on it. This Rifle is a killing machine! I could not be happier with it and again fit and function are very satisfactry. It shoots in the .500" to .590 range with monotonous consistency using the Nosler 40 gr. Ballistic Tips (remember this is a sporter weight barrel and a 10X scope!)
6) In May of 2001 I bought a new in the box Remington 700 Classic in caliber 223 Remington I checked it over and was happy with the way it was except, I did a trigger job on it. It has a Leupold 4X12 with AO on it and I decided on a load quickly with it using the 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. It shoots in the .600" to .700" range for 5 shots at 100 yards. I took it to the range this past spring before a Prairie Dog Safari and fired a 3 shot group at 100 yards measuring .251" I quit right there as it had not shifted P.O.I. from the previous years check AND I was afraid to shoot any more bullets into that "one holer"!
7) I bought a Remington 700 Classic in 1995 in caliber 7mm Remington Magnum. I put a 3.5X10 Leupold scope on it and did a trigger job on it. I was living and Hunting a lot in rain country (Washington state) back then and I added some spar varnish to the inside of the stock in the action area. It looked a little ragged from the factory. It shoots 3 shot groups each year before Elk season between .51" and .74" at 100 yards. I am very recoil sensitive and do not like to shoot this light Rifle in long strings. I have killed two Bull Elk with this Rifle and it is mine til death do us part!
8) My most accurate out of the box Remington (non 40X modle anyway) was one of the first Police Sniper Specials sold (Remington 700 PSS) it has the 24" barrel. I first fired it in March 1990 with a Leupold 6.5X20 scope. This was before I began doing regimented barrel break in procedures like I do now. The first group out of that Rifle (using once fired Federal brass I scrounged from the police range in Seattle) was 5 shots in .362"! The next group was .293"! I have never tested another load in it. It shoots the Sierra 50 gr. Blitz and 26.5 grs. of H4895. This Rifle does have some minor problems. The extractor does not reliably function - about one out of 8 cases ends up lying in the breech! I could easily fix this I just haven't! The muzzle end of the barrel is roughly finished with obvious and deep tool marks on the flat crown. The rifling at the end of the barrel is not affected though. There was a factory recall on the trigger mechanism of this Rifle! Remington sent me a letter and and a box to ship the Rifle back to them in. I of course would not send that Rifle anywhere! I took it to a Remington service station and had them remove the trigger and sent that to Remington. I replaced the trigger at my own expense with an externally adjustable Remington 40X trigger! The letter from Remington stated a "jobber" had supplied them with not up to their specifications quality of metal for a part inside the trigger and they wanted to replace the trigger. I replaced the trigger and this Rifle still to this day after I am guessing 3,800 rounds through it still shoots like a house on fire! And it did from day one - shot one! I also was aware when I bought the gun that the jobber made PSS stock was slightly askew as it is closer to the barrel on the right side than on the left. I love this Rifle! I wish I had 10 more like it!
9) I bought in September of 2002 the Remington Classic 700 for last year the 221 Remington Fireball! I mounted a Leupold 4X12 non AO on it and have done the trigger. Due to Antelope, Deer, Elk and fall Bear season then Waterfowl season and fall Turkey season then Cougar season I have just not gotten to load development with this Rifle. The fit and finish of this stock is pleasing to me and again the factory trigger once adjusted is crisp and according to my Schaeffer Trigger Gauge - VERY consistent. I hope to shoot it any day now (the wind was 18 to 25 MPH today and raining in Montana at 5,600') tomorrow is supposed to be 25 to 35 MPH gusts so no report on accuracy from the Fireball for awhile - I am afraid. It does cycle my handloads reliably from the magazine through the chamber and ejects them consistently.
My point with all this is my close friends and I have noticed some finish defects and minor problems with Remingtons in the last few years but not enough to quit buying them. I think Remingtons are a good value in todays market and they are American made!
I also own seven Remington 40X's in various models and have been extremely satisfied with them. I also now own Varmint Guns made by Sako, Winchester, Ruger, Weatherby, Kimber and Thompson Contender. I have never owned a Savage Varminter. In the past I have owned a S & W Varmint Rifle, Harrington & Richardson and Brownings. I would like someday to own a fancy stocked Cooper but my experiences lead me to stand by, stick with and defend the Remingtons still as a good value, very accurate, attractive, safe and reliable. Parts are available everywhere for replacement or upgrade.
I still like'em and recommend them to new shooters!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<hkr>
posted
Us lefties didn't get a break. Not one f*#@%$# new s#@& for us. And the 17HRM is the same as the Hornady, green Remington sticker on box ensted of red Hornady.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hkr - au contraire!

Notice that they now catalog left hand short action sporters in .243 and .308.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/left_hand/700BDLlh.HTM

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmitguy, I know you are a fan of the 222 I am looking for a 222 with a varmit barrel the only one I can find makeing one is Sako do you know of any other. Did I read in a post that you have a 222 Sako I have never seen one & if I buy a Seko it will be sight unseen. Wiil I be happy with a Sako? Thanks

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BossMoss: I did buy a new unfired Sako heavy barreled Rifle in December just past. But it was the L-46 clip fed model vintage 1959! I shot it recently for the first time with its 1959 vintage Leupold westerner 8X scope! I was the nostalgia king of the range that day! It shot well and I am waiting now for the winds to calm down so I can shoot it with fireformed brass!
I am sure the Cooper folks make their various Varminters in 222 Remington and maybe even Kimber - I will do some checking on those. I also have a Sako L-46 custom Rifle in 222 Remington Magnum. I have had this Rifle for years and am very happy with it also. These two Rifles are a far cry from the current Sakos though! If the Rifle you are consdering is a new production heavy barrel in 222 then I would not hesitate to try it. Resale value should be high if you do not like it! I am just not familiar with the new Sakos much! The Cooper Arms people have a great website with excellent pictures of their several Varmint Models! Check them out at www.cooperfirearms.com
I will keep an eye out for a Sako site where you can see a picture of one of them.
My friend Louie out in western Washington found a 1970's vintage Remington 700 Varmint in 222 Remington and bought it. It is in excellent shape, he paid $350.00 for it and it shoots very well indeed. I am always on the lookout for older Remington 700 Varminters in 222 as they all shot well and are easy to resell!
Good luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Varmitguy, I just like to be different & it's a great old cartage. I'm with you Remington needs to make a varmit rifle in 222 again. Bossmoss

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
<hkr>
posted
Sorry JIM, I missed that. Although I am impressed and think it is a great addition to the small selection that lefties have, Browning has beat them out. This year Browning is offering the Micro Hunter left hand in the short action calabers. At more than a pound less weight. But like I say, Remington is commended for there addition to the left hand market. And again sorry for the oversight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmintguy: my Classic 221 Fireball also cycled loaded rounds without problems, but the ejection of fired cases has been dismal. Extraction is clean, but I theorize the short case kicks sideways enough to jump from the extractor, before clearing the port. Removing, inspecting, and re-installing the extractor has me back at square one. Maybe half the cases actually eject.
This is my first problem from any of my Remingtons, but it looks like it's going back to Remington.
Hope yours works well, and mine gets corrected.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mulerider: Thank you for the heads up there! Its late as I read this and I will try an empty brass in the morning to see if it extracts and ejects properly! Sorry to hear of the malfunction there! I have been waiting (with loaded ammo) for 3 weeks for good shooting conditions here in SW Montana. So I can shoot my Fireball! Yikes and drat! Its snowing now (boy do we need that!) and the winds look poor for several days in the future!
How does your Fireball shoot?
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

[ 02-02-2003, 09:40: Message edited by: VarmintGuy ]