Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 52 Gr. Hornady A-Max
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bobby,
Thanks for your comments and experience with the 52 gr. A-Max. I had been told, and have read the same thing that you indicated above. The 52 gr. has a little higher BC and its very interesting that it performs well on Coyotes.It is a very accurate bullet in my rifles.....I have some of the 52 Gr. Speer HP and it seems everyone that has used them, likes and recommends them. I can't get the same level of accuracy with them that I can get with the Nosler BT or the Hornady V-Max but I'm sure they perform very well. Thanks again for your comments and the benefit of your experience.........
George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've used the 52 grain A-Max at just over 3300 fps MV (.223) and also at 3750 fps MV (22-250) and got exits on every coyote -- even when the shoulders were impacted. The ranges were from 55 to app. 270 yards. The exits were not extremely excessive, however, and were generally the size of a quarter to occasionally a fifty-cent piece. (Damage to the vitals was more than sufficient, I might add)

The one exception was an oblique, almost glancing angle where secondary bone fragments contributed to a long gash and eventually a grapefruit-sized exit as the bullet skidded along and ripped up the opposite side ribs, but a FMJ on that shot would have produced just as much damage.

Back when coyote pelts in my area were actually worth something, I relied heavily on 2 bullets: the Speer 52 grain HP and the Remington 50 grain PLHP. At 22-250 velocities, they'll seldom exit a coyote, even on ribcage shots. I had tried just about everything out there, and these two are still at the top of my list for collecting 'yote pelts with minimal damage. I didn't push these bullets to warp speeds, either. Using H4895, I pushed the 52 grainer along at app. 3650 fps and the 50 grain Rem. at a shade over 3700 fps.

These days, coyote pelts from south central TX are worth very little, and I find myself using my Encore with a Van Horn 26" full bull barrel in 6.5x55. With a 120 grain Ballistic Tip at 3000 fps or a 140 grain Sierra BSP at 2800 fps, it makes those long shots in the wind a breeze -- and drops the coyotes with authority.

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
i would really like to hear any reports of using a-max bullets. i would like to use the 75gr in a 22-243 with a fast barrel. i think this would make a decent antelop setup.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used them in my 22-250 with 35.0gr h4895 at @ 3700fps from a kimber longmaster v/t with a average group of .272 c-t-c at 100 yards. Now on squirrels they are quite impresive.Much like the v-max. Also the 75gr.a-max is also explosive.

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
WIth the 75 grain, .22 cal A-Max, I have little experience on game but can tell you they are superbly accurate in any 1:9 or faster twist barrel. From a 26" Virgin Valley Contender barrel in .223 (1:8) I had a while back, I did manage to take a coyote at 130-140 yards. The load featured Re-15 and was moving along at app. 2940 fps MV.

The coyote went down so quickly that my son said I missed. The grass was very wet from the morning dew, and he and I also both noted a large spray of mist from the bullet's impact well behind where the animal was last seen . Turns out the 75 grainer took the quartering coyote in the front shoulder and exited just beyond the last rib, leaving a 1" exit it its wake. Damage to the innards was impressive, and of course, the penetration was more than sufficient. And while I don't care to use .22 calibers on antelope or deer, thee's no doubt this bullet, kept at reasonable velocities and placed through the thin ribcage and into the lungs, would do the trick on the smaller deer species.

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote