THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Winchester rifles in WSSM?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Winchester rifles in WSSM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So far I have not seen a WSSM rifle. There is lots of ammo on the shelves. Since the other 6mm's have the same twist as the 243 WSSM and almost as much capacity I would wait to see how others make out with the new cartridge.

I did make up a 224 Wildcat almost twenty years ago that's similar to the 223 WSSM. It shot ok but never really broke new ground. In the mean time 55 gr bullets came out for the 6mm's. Your better off in .224" bore with the standard cartridges. Once one reaches bore capacity it's better to increase the caliber.

I never did like the 243 Win nor the 6mm Rem all that much however so I wish the 243 WSSM well.

WW's claim on the WSSM's is superior accuracy. We all want that. Let's see what really happens.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From what I have heard and read, you'd be better off away from the WSSM's. Apparently this hyper-velocity of theirs burns out barrels wayyyyy too fast. 350 rounds has been mentioned. Heck, that's just well broke in in many cases. Word is they are chroming the barrels to cut the wear. Anybody who know anything about chroming knows you can't get it even throughout the barrel and it still wears.

one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS,

I have a M70 Coyote in .223 WSSM and it is one sweet shooting rifle. Do not pay any attention to the rumors(and that is just what they are, RUMORS) about barrels burning out or feeding problems. I have just over 800 rounds through mine and there is no sign of throat erosion or wear that can be seen by a camera used by my gunsmith. The .223 WSSM will beat the old standard .220 Swift by 150 to 200 fps. without trying to hard. And as for the .243 WSSM, it will come close to the .240 Weatherby in power and velocity. Personally I prefer the longer barrel of the Coyote over the Stealth and I also prefer wood over plastic. I like the new WSSM line up so far except for the new .25 WSSM. I wish Winchester had went with the .257 WSM instead. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lawdog,
how long did it take to get you M70 COYOTE? I put in my order for one in 243WSSM about a month ago. Getting vary anxious. Good to hear that the rumors are just that.
Anthony

Posts: 79 | Location: Maine | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anthony,

I ordered mine in Nov. 2002. Now I don't want anyone to think I marked days off on the calendar but it took 26 weeks and 3 days before it was in my hands. Things should have improved by now as I have seen three others show up at our gun club. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Lawdog........have you tried any of the heavy .22 bullets like 75 gr A-Max ??? To me , that's the niche the WSSM can fill nicely..........

As for the .243 version equalling a .240 Weatherby , you lost me there......I don't believe the WSSM case is even close to that of the Weatherby in capacity ?

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sdgunslinger,

I haven't found any use for bullets heavier than 55 grains. The biggest critter I intend to go after is coyote in size. I tried a .220 Swift on a couple of deer many, many years ago and it was a miserable failure. Never again will I ever use any .22 centerfire on a big game animal unless there were no other way(defense or hunger). As for the .243 WSSM coming close to the .240 Weatherby the following tells the story,

.243 WSSM has a case capacity of 59.5 grains(water)
.240 Weatherby has a capacity of 62.3 grains(water)

I don't think that 2.8 grains is that great a difference. Lawdog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog........I don't see the 75 gr as a deer load ......rather something for very long range shooting on the larger varmints with the .22 bore.

Are you sure the water capacity of a .240 is only 62 gr??......I thought is was somewhat more towards the same capacity as 30/06 cases........

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Gunslinger, the standard 10 twist of the WSSM is not fast enough for the 75 grain Amax. My 9 twist Pac-nor does really well with them. I've had them up to 3500 without problems (Magnum, 24"), but my standard load is RL22 at 3275. It's a half MOA load, for 500 yard varmints. The 80 gr. Nosler seems to shoot about the same, same velocity, same accuracy with the same powders. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmmm......1 in 10 eh ? I was sort of hoping the Coyote WSSM had a 1 in 9 like I think the .223 version does.........but 1 in 10 would still maybe handle some of the other heavyweight .22 slugs ??

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The extra speed of the WSSM helps, and at full pressure, and at higher elevations, the 10 twist just might stabilize the 75. My 9 twist stabilizes the 80 gr. Nosler down to 3000 fps.

At sea-level, though, I'd say the 69 MK is about as heavy as you can probably get away with. For factory rifles, the 10 twist makes sense in order to prevent "poofing" in lightweight bullets approaching Warp 10 (I get 3850 with 53 grainers without even trying). Twist is always a compromise.

Need to go try some JLK's or Clinch Rivers, one of these days...... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sdgunslinger,

Quote:

Are you sure the water capacity of a .240 is only 62 gr??

That is what one of my .240 Weatherby cases holds. For all the shooting I do 55 grain bullets do just nicely. Lawdog