THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Take Your Son Ground Squirrel Shooting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take Your Son Ground Squirrel Shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son was off from school Friday, so I thought I would take the day off and take him over to Klamath Falls and go shoot ground squirrels..

He recently went thru his hunter safety course and even tho it does not require a license in Oregon, this was his first "safari" since passing the course...

It was an enjoyable afternoon, and he managed to get off 160 rounds from his 10/22 and we figured he scored about 55 to 60 sage rats...

Here is a link to the pictures that were taken...

seafire jr was one proud young shooter...I witness him take a couple at about 150 yds... The young man has learned Kentucky windage real well.. scope is a 6 power Tasco World Class Plus... 6 x 44mm...Heavy barreled 10/22 with a Fajen left handed Rosewood stock, aftermarket trigger...( can't remember whose tho? homer)

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2093619601

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's great getting the kids involved. The best hunting trips that I've had in the last few years have been ground squirrels shoots with my daughters.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:

It was an enjoyable afternoon, and he managed to get off 160 rounds from his 10/22 and we figured he scored about 55 to 60 sage rats...

cheers

A successful trip, he should be hooked for life.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
I've been taking my boy also. He LOVES it and wants to shoot Pdogs all the time. Works great for me because its time we have together and I can always blame it on him when asking the wife if we can go.
He loves his Bushmaster and pdogs don't stand a chance when we're out. He has shot one a hair over 300yds so far with it.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

I took my son hunting and fishing in his youth and he decided that computers were more to his liking than hunting deer, bear, birds and fishing. But there is one thing that he wants to do with me each summer and that is shoot pds. He absolutely loves it. He doesn't hunt anything else and will not fish if he was starving, but he has to go out and shoot pds with me each year.

Can't explain it, but it works for us. I am sure glad it does.

Regardless of his path in life he will always remember the time you are spending with him.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only took my son but I took his girlfriend too. Only difference was we were shooting pds instead of GSs. She got to be very effective out to 300 yds.
But you can figure that my son probably didn't have his mind on strictly shootin.........

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Good Going guys!
My young'uns were out of school last week but I've yet to upload the pictures. I took mine out for ground squirrels two days, shooting clays, bowling twice, and hit up the surplus and gun stores. They seem to have had a great Spring Break. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know Nate, I had some problems with my rifle after a couple of loads blew primers for some reason.. I finally quit messing around with it, and just took the time to pay attention to my son's needs, and get him into spots that the squirrels were up...

I actually have more fun watching him have fun... and how can you help except be proud when you watch your 12 yr old nail a couple of squirrels at about 125 to 150 yds with a 10/22...

this is passing on the tradition in real time..... I am not over religious, but I got home and thanked God for providing me with such a wonderful day with my son...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son, his girlfriend (just about to put the Big Hurt on a distant prairie dog) and me watching. Not many better ways to spend a windy day on the prairie..........

[/url]

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skb,

ya got that right brother! thumb

posted Hide Post
I'm finnaly going to go this comming weekend! I'll post some pictures if we have success!

Posts: 19 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: 17 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post

I lost a couple pics somehow. They each took squirrels at a couple hundred with my .22-250 and a .257 Roberts loaded with Hornady 75's. Not bad from sitting, and a real confidence builder. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nice work!
Your boy looks like he's off to a good start.
I also like that custom shooting platform you guys have.
I'll never forget the first time I got to go on a squeek blasting expedition.
If its nice on sunday I'll be heading over to Fort Klamath area for the first time this year.

Posts: 28 | Location: Central Point OR. USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan:
Nice work!
Your boy looks like he's off to a good start.
I also like that custom shooting platform you guys have.
I'll never forget the first time I got to go on a squeek blasting expedition.
If its nice on sunday I'll be heading over to Fort Klamath area for the first time this year.

Alan,

welcome to the forum and also, let us know how things go over at Ft Klamath... that is a lot closer than Bonanza, and especially Lakeview...

I should scope out a few spots over there!!!!

cheers
seafire
beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I flew into the Klamath Falls airport during spring break 1976, and the the brown grassy dirt along the runways had ground squirrels on 10 foot centers as far as my young eyes could see.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote