New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finding Coyotes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last fall I got a yote on my game cam + herd them several time while archery hunting. Now it's winter & nothing to do but see if I can shoot one. Is there a good chance they will still be in the same area? Are there any tip you can give me to find them? I am going to starting this weekend.I was hearing them last winter late at night from my house which is the same area so I think I should be in the ball park but in the past when I have gone out I have never had any sucess the clostest I ever got was had them barking at me once. I have been told that the Eastern yote is harder to call but I think it's because we don't have as many. Thanks & I'll be looking for your replys.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same situation. They are there. They are just hard to fool. Here in Illinois they get hunted a lot. I see them when I'm bow hunting, and I can hear them in the woods outside of town when the train goes by. They howl at the train whistle.
I've had my best luck going out before dawn when the temp is just above freezing - so I don't "crunch" when I walk in. Then I call as soon as its light enough to see. As far as wind goes, I just hope they don't smell me before I see them. I hunt the wind as best I can. Both mouth calls and tapes played on boom boxes have worked for me. I've had my best luck making domestic cat sounds with a turkey reed call.
Just keep trying. I probably see a coyote 1 out of 10 stands that I make. It is a good excuse to get out of the house this time of year and enjoy nature.