Find
Notify
Tools

coyotes and deer and elk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I went out this morning to chase a coyote or two and went to an area that was productive a couple of weeks ago with no luck.

I moved to a higher elevation and glassed around the hills and dales from where my spot was and saw about 50-75 head of elk and around 200 deer in this huge bowl with no coyotes around. Didn't see any dogs or have any respond to the calls.

Question:

Have you lad usually found good success when deer are around due to migration patterns with the coyotes?

I thought that there would be some sniffing around those deer but no luck.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually will find coyote tracks in the snow in the same country that the deer and elk are hanging out.

Did you find any Mountain Lion tracks?

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lefforge:
I usually will find coyote tracks in the snow in the same country that the deer and elk are hanging out.

Did you find any Mountain Lion tracks?

Steve

None.

I did notice that the whole herd of 75 elk did get up and run off to the far end of the bowl and over the ridge. I thought that something might have spooked them but couldn't pick up anything in the binocs!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teancum

I just read you're post again, and noticed that you are in Idaho. I was wondering if you had wolves in the area, since they will kill or run the coyotes out of the country. If so I hope you have a wolf tag in you're pocket.

Good Hunting

Steve

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lefforge:
Teancum

I just read you're post again, and noticed that you are in Idaho. I was wondering if you had wolves in the area, since they will kill or run the coyotes out of the country. If so I hope you have a wolf tag in you're pocket.

Good Hunting

Steve

We do have wolves in our area and the best spot for them is about 30 miles from where I live. Good point!!!!! They do seem to follow the deer and elk down from the higher elevations just like the coyotes and cougars. I've hunted cougars with dogs, in this late migration season in the past. It could be that some of the wolves where in the area. I do remember seeing what I thought were dog tracks but am not that familiar with wolf tracks.

Good news on the wolves is that for a resident wolf tag it costs $11.50!!!! I guess that says something from the Fish and Game here in Idaho after they supported the initial introduction until they started to see the decimation of the deer and elk from wolf activity. I used to hunt elk in the archery season over by Sun Valley and the biggest problem that we had was that the elk herds would have 75-200 animals in them and it was impossible to get close enough with all those eyes. About 4-5 years after the introduction of the wolves, my hunting buddy went back to the same high elevation area, 9,000 ft., and rode his horse for 3.5 days down ridges in August and saw 4 cow elk the whole time!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear you about the wolves, last week I went up looking for a cat track and I'll I found were wolves in the area. I would be affraid to turn out on a fresh track, you would'nt have any hounds left by the time you got them all gathered up.

At least Idaho and Montana are getting to due something about you're wolves...

Steve