Find
Notify
Tools

.17 hmr on coyotes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bigduke
posted
my question is that out of all the varmint rifles how does the .17hmr do on coyotes , close range and from way off?

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 103 | Location: georgia | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's an absolutely wonderful round for colony rodents but as to your questions it stinks on both counts. I've no doubt it'd kill a coyote at 50 to 75 yards if hit perfectly, maybe even farther but coyote hunts are seldom if ever perfect and even those nasty sheep eaters deserve better. Go to Hornadys web site and look at the delivered energy at 100 yards, not up to coyote hunting.
Get a .17 Remington or the new .17 Fire Ball if the hides are important to ya, if not get a .223 or such, leave the rimfires for rodents. Just my 2 cents.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigduke
posted Hide Post
thanks montdoug for the advice because i was thinking about getting one for coyotes,but i think ill get an AR15 instead

― Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get a .17 Remington or the new .17 Fire Ball if the hides are important to ya,

using the 17 Fireball, where would you place the shot to keep the hide in good shape?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off the big bones. Brisket coming head on is about the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you kindly.

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the off topic reply, but WTF is tin can's avatar?

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's me playing a bull fiddle that I shot last year in Montana.

One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Holy crap Bullshooter....I was thinking the exact same thing!!!

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigduke: I have killed two Coyotes with my 17 HMR Rifle. Both were one shot kills and both were right at 100 yards distant. One was head shot and the other lung shot.
There are of course better cartridges for Coyotes but in certain circumstances they will make do. I know folks here in SW Montana that use the 17 HMR on purpose for lots of their Coyote and Fox Hunting.
CAREFUL shot placement would be of utmost import when shooting the Coyote with ones 17 HMR firearm.

Now let me see a "naked bull fiddle player" in Montana.
To that I say "to each their own" - and stay in your house - with the blinds closed!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigduke
posted Hide Post
thanks varmintguy for the info, was thinking about getting a .17 but i think I will get an AR15 first

― Theodore Roosevelt

posted Hide Post
The 17HMR has served me in one large respect. I sometimes get a hunting lead on some populated areas. They don't want the noise associated with a centerfire. Then I either pull out the bow or my HMR. It is quiet(comparatively), and less annoying. I use it on yotes out to 100, but no farther.
I also use an AR in woods and other places where a quick shot or follow up might be needed. My carbine is quick to get on target. Just be sure to get an accurate one. I go out to 300(still target) or in as close as 15(Who was more surprised? The 'yote or me?). Just a couple thoughts.

Marines: Giving the enemy the opportunity to die for their cause since 1775.
Guns: Giving us freedom since we learned how to shoot
Mustangs: Giving gearheads a reason to exist since 1964
Varmints: Giving me a reason to appreciate all the above.

Posts: 12 | Location: Sherrodsville, OH | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 17 will work on yotes within the 100 yrd range, is it my choice, No!!!! As has been stated, in the right conditions it works well but not the right gun if you want a double.
After the first shot these yotes out here are moving at Mach 2 and I much prefer one of the 223's with the 100 rnd Beta mag hangin under it.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember shooting a coyote with a 22 rimfire magnum, Win hollow point. Distance was about 100 yards and the shot was right behind the shoulder. At the hit he howled and run off, turning the classic circles, and was gone. I heard his death cries way up the mtn. I vowed never to use that round again on them. My next one was at 80 yards with a 243 Win. Distance 80 yards and he was facing me at a slight angle. The bullet caught him in the right front chest and exited at the left rear ham. At the shot he jumped, turned the classic circles, and run off for a distance of 50 yards. When I got to him he was taking his last breath. The first 25 yards there was absolutely no blood trail. Then right at 25 yards I found some internal body part laying on the ground. Upon examination the 243 had completely gutted him. How is it he could have gone so far. I'm convinced that coyotes can take alot of lead.

You know, there are stories of the 22 rimfire killing massive animals. Even so, from my coyote experience, I'd never use a 17 HMR.

Joe

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
+1 vote for the AR. Here is a shot of mine and a pretty typical 200yd target. It's a stock DPMS high rider upper with a 20" bull barrel, Brris Sig 6-24 scope and a PWA lower with a trigger job and accu wedge. This target was shot with Black Hills 52gr HP. It also likes the 60gr v-max's.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullshooter,

Nice rifle and you shoot it pretty well too. About that 60 Vmax. I had bought some of those for my AR15 Colt HBAR, with the 7 twist rifling. I needed to dispatch some dogs that were killing my goats. I got my shot one day at one of the dogs that was about the size of a Rothweiler. Exactly at 100 yards placed right behind his left shoulder. Same as the damn coyote story, yelped at the shot and round off, to the tune of almost 1/2 mile. There was no exit hole and couldn't even find an entrance hole. Back home I set up four one gal milk jugs full of water at the spot I had shot him at. Found out I didn't need that many bottles. Well the rifle was dead on. The Vmax only made it through the first bottle. All that was left of it was a little piece about the size of a BB. The jug was destroyed more then I've ever seen one shot at before. I preformed this test with the same load and my Model 70 Winchester with 12 rifling twist. Damage wasn't so severe and more the bullet was found. I've noticed my 7 twist AR really blows bullets up more on impact then slower twists. I've also found out that 60gr Vmax is very very frangile. Probably a superb ground squirrel bullet, but I'm doubtful about using it on bigger varmints.

Joe

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
The v-max's really turn gophers inside out. The only thing bigger that I have hit with them is a couple of badgers. Both shots were approx 100 yards and both critters were shot in the same spot. They were looking up out of a hole they were in the middle of digging(two separate occasions). They only part of the exposed was their head. They were both hit right under the chin. Bullet blew up on impact, no exit but a hole big enough to set a beer can in.

Killed him on the spot. I wouldnt use that bullet for anything but smaller varmints. The only other bullet I have had a lot of experience with is the Black hills 52gr HP. My uncles used to buy it by the case for pest control on their ranch in Mt. and it has killed just about everything that walks flies or slithers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullshooter,

I'm glad we are in agreement on that bullet. I even have a box of 55 grs too and gee, the way the 60's blow up, I have no use for the 55's.

Tell you the truth you should see what regular Vietnam FMJ Winchester 55 grs do to animals the size of groundhogs out of my AR. That 7 twist makes a lot of difference when the bullet impacts then out of a 12 twist.

Those Vmax bullets are pretty accurate too.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullshooter: I concur that is a GREAT looking Rifle!
And a great report on the V-Max 17 HMR.
I have only killed one Badger with my Ruger 77/17 V/T in 17 HMR. Same shot as yours right under the chin!
I was set up in a Ground Squirrel Colony whacking Ground Squirrels as fast as I could load the 9 round clip. All of a sudden I spy a Badger come up out of a hole! I was standing on the tailgate of my truck (the VarmintMobile) using the camper shell's roof as a shooting platform! I had my Dog-Gone-Good giant "X" bag up there and all my gear spread out "picking my shots". I saw the Badger, hurriedly guesstimated the range and fired for the Adams Apple of said Badger! The Badger simply slumped down at the shot and never moved! No exit wound with the Remington ballistic type tip bullet I was shooting.
Badgers CAN "pack some lead"! I have shot MANY of them and was quite impressed of the DRT (dead right there) shot on this big Boar!
I was so excited I grabbed my day pack (with camera inside) and my Leica 800 Laser Rangefinder and we headed out to the Badger.
I took a few pictures and lasered back at the VarmintMobile - it was 173 yards to the grill of the truck! I am estimating the muzzle of my 17 HMR Rifle was right at 175 yards from the Badger at the shot!
Great accuracy, flat trajectory, great bullets, amazing lethality and good in the wind are some of the wonderful attributes of the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Bullshooter: I concur that is a GREAT looking Rifle!
And a great report on the V-Max 17 HMR.
I have only killed one Badger with my Ruger 77/17 V/T in 17 HMR. Same shot as yours right under the chin!
I was set up in a Ground Squirrel Colony whacking Ground Squirrels as fast as I could load the 9 round clip. All of a sudden I spy a Badger come up out of a hole! I was standing on the tailgate of my truck (the VarmintMobile) using the camper shell's roof as a shooting platform! I had my Dog-Gone-Good giant "X" bag up there and all my gear spread out "picking my shots". I saw the Badger, hurriedly guesstimated the range and fired for the Adams Apple of said Badger! The Badger simply slumped down at the shot and never moved! No exit wound with the Remington ballistic type tip bullet I was shooting.
Badgers CAN "pack some lead"! I have shot MANY of them and was quite impressed of the DRT (dead right there) shot on this big Boar!
I was so excited I grabbed my day pack (with camera inside) and my Leica 800 Laser Rangefinder and we headed out to the Badger.
I took a few pictures and lasered back at the VarmintMobile - it was 173 yards to the grill of the truck! I am estimating the muzzle of my 17 HMR Rifle was right at 175 yards from the Badger at the shot!
Great accuracy, flat trajectory, great bullets, amazing lethality and good in the wind are some of the wonderful attributes of the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Did I miss bullshooters 17 Hmr report, I thought his shootings were done with the 22 caliber 60 gr V-max?

Joe

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
Starmetal,thanks for the complement. I believe varmintguy was referring to jimmyd and gdcpony on hteir reports of the 17hmr. I have tried the FMJ's but they seem to pattern rather than group.
Varmintguy, thanks for the complement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
18 cent Hornady Vmax 17HMR does not do as much damage to a gopher as 8 cent 22 long rifle Quickshok does.

The 33 gr Vmax .224 bullet at 3500 fps does the same gopher damage as the 22 long rifle Quickshok.

The 33 gr Vmax .224 bullet at 3500 fsp does much more damage to the larger rock chucks than the 22 long rifle Quickshok.

The advantage with gophers of the 18 cent 17HMR over the 8 cent Quickshok is the flatter trajectory and longer range.

8 cent Quickshok damage:

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigduke
posted Hide Post
nice info on the hmr and cool Ar15 bullshooter , also great photos of the other animals mgun

― Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Starmetal: Yes I may have criss crossed the previous posts intentions and authors in my latest posting!
Amazing isn't it how threads go off on tangents at times! I enjoy a good tangent (like discussions of beautiful AR-15's and 60 gr. 223 centerfire ammo on a 17 HMR vs. Coyote thread!) and only seldom do I get crossed up. Thanks for the inquiry/correction.

Tnekkcc: Another advantage of the 17 HMR over the 22 L.R. is the vastly superior wind bucking ability of the 17 HMR projectiles!
This can not be overlooked because the wind is moving virtually all the time while the Gophers are up in here in Montana and elsewhere on the high plains.
I always use my Lilja barreled Deluxe Ruger 10/22 on the Ground Squirrels out to about 100 or 110 yards - then I switch to the the 17 HMR for the more distant Gophers - those on out to about 210 yards!
And when the 17 HMR is "at hand" then when the odd Badger, Fox or flying Varmints that come around to feast on carcasses! I took out a large flying Varmint last spring that made the mistake of landing on a "messy" mound at 240 yards! 17 HMR bang flop there!
I now have enough 17 HMR ammo to get me through this upcoming Gopher season and maybe a little to boot. I have 2,000 rounds of my favorite 17 HMR ammo (the Remington V-Max type).
Coyotes tomorrow! He-he!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

posted Hide Post
My inventory of calibers is this: .22LR, 17HMR, ,.223, .243, .257Roberts(not used yet), and, 7X57 Ack. I think the 17 fills the same niche as the 257 will as a step between two much more commonly used rounds. I use it primarily for rodents at ranges beyond 100yds. For 'yotes I prefer to use a .243 (70gr NoslerBT)if I expect distances of 300+, or .223 (40gr or -55gr for the AR- NoslerBT's) in closer. The 17 is only pulled out for people who don't want noise and hold some wierd prejudice that archery is barbaric. Or for a shot of opportunity that is just too good to pass on.

Marines: Giving the enemy the opportunity to die for their cause since 1775.
Guns: Giving us freedom since we learned how to shoot
Mustangs: Giving gearheads a reason to exist since 1964
Varmints: Giving me a reason to appreciate all the above.

Posts: 12 | Location: Sherrodsville, OH | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote