New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sierra Blitzking?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a box of 50gr blitzkings for a 223, and I also bought some 70grainers for a 6mm-284. Anyone have any experience with these bullets yet? I was hoping they would shoot as well as the vmax and BT's and I'm sure they will but I haven't heard many reports about them yet.

Anyone care to share any impressions or experiences? These will be used for groundhogs shooting and punching paper.

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I haven't shot any of them in quite some time, but my recollections of this bullet is of mediocre accuracy and very fragile bullet. They like to explode at contact....suitable only for light varmits IMHO.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Hornet loves 'em at 3000 fps -- sub-MOA accuracy. [Big Grin]

Haven't tried them yet at .223 velocities, however. I honestly can't say I've noticed much difference between them and Hornday V-Maxes.

YMMV

Cheers

Bruce

Posts: 104 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I shoot the 50 grain BlitzKings in my .223 Remington and am quite pleased.

I find they will shoot quite well with XMR 2015, H 4895, or Benchmark, etc.

In regard to them being fragile, I think they are actually a little tougher bullet than the V-Max's that I shoot in some other rifles.

I could not get the 55 grain BlitzKings to shoot after trying them in several rifles. In fact, in a couple of 22-250's they actually keyholed on the target. (Those rifles had 1 in 14 inch twists)

I have not tried the 70 grain version in my 6mm Remington so far. I am sure they would be about a toss up with the 70 grain Ballistic Tip. The 70 or 80 grain Ballistic Tips shoot great groups in my 6mm Remington and mess up varmints to say the least. However, my all time favorite 6mm bullet for the rifle I now have in the safe is the 80 grain Sierra Blitz bullet. I have killed prairie dogs over 750 yards with that bullet and coyotes over 600. According to the published ballistic coefficients it should not be any better than the Noslers, but out in the field I just have had better luck with it at really long range.

Try the Blitzkings, I think you will like them.

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 80gers out of my 243 they very well one holers at 100 yards. Shot one 400 yard group that wen 1.75 in. They blow up p dogs really nice.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Oleman>
posted
My .223 is not fond of the 50's but I probably just have not found the right combination yet. My 6MM Remington loves the 70's with 41.0 Gr. of Varget. Sub .5 MOA.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The BlitzKings are capable of terrific accuracy and are quite fragile -- but no more so than the other polymer-tipped varmint offerings.

pdogshooter-- I am curious: where in the world did you find 80 grain BlitzKings? I was hoping Sierra would offer it in this weight, but the only 2 6mm, 80 grainers I am aware of from Sierra are the 80 grain Blitz and the 80 grain Single Shot Pistol bullet.

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Oleman>
posted
Another very good 80 Gr bullet can be found here.

http://www.starkebullets.com/showBullets.asp?whatCategory=RP

<RAG>
posted
The 50 BlitzKings fly very well. In several differnt barrels chambered for a 22 PPC they've demonstrated to be more accurate than the Noslers and on par with the V-Max equivalents, though the 50 V-max are the best in my opinion.

Regarding the 6mm bullets here is my findings using Light Varming, Heavy Varmint, and Unlimited Bench Rest guns: The Sierra 70 grain BlitzKings are not very accurate (I believe the jackets used are low-grade) and the bullets have a lot of run-out. However, the 6mm 55 Grain BlitzKings are the most accurate of all the 6mm bullets, by far! I have fired groups measuring under .15" with them on several occasions using a 6BR and 6PPC bench gun. Again, the 57 v-maxs are pretty good, but I have found the noslers to be much overrated.

Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Douglas barreled 223 love the 50 gr. BK with 24.9 gr. of N133. Shoots in the .3's very consistently, the extreme sperad is in low teens to single digits at 3374 average fps. The BlitzKing is the most accurate 50 gr. bullet I hav shot in that rifle. The bullet has very good terminal effect from my experience.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Greg H>
posted
Matt, I have always had good results with all Sierra bullets. The Blitzkings have match quality jackets are are very explosive even in my K-Hornet. They are as accurate in the main as those from any other company. have a go at them and enjoy.
Greg H

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. Since I have a box of 500 each, most of what you told me is very good news. Granted I need to get out and shoot them to see where they are, but it looks as though they will do what I intended for them.

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 70 grain Blitzkings in my 6mm and really like them. The best 5 shot group so far is .263 at 100 yards. They really do a good job on the groundhogs too!

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote