THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    .22lr or .17hmr for coyote and fox?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22lr or .17hmr for coyote and fox?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all

I have just found an area that has coyotes, no one hunting it, and free access....... That is the good news.

The bad news is that I am limited to the dates of and the weapons allowed for the game that is currently in season at the moment. Ie if it is squirrel season then I can hunt with the weapon and ammunition allowed for squirrel hunting.

The area that I have will (according to last years dates) let me hunt from the 1st day of Sept. untill the last day of Feb. There is no large game available on this property so I am legally restricted to any rimfire rifle of .22 calibre or smaller.

Given that choice would a .22lr or a .17hmr be the better choice?

Thanks

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I like the .17HMR (Ijust bought another one last night!)but, I wouldn't use it on coyotes. I just don't think the bullets are made for the type of penetration required for a clean kill. If you could put one in his eye or ear, but that's asking a lot Even a coyote deserves a clean kill.

As for the .22LR you'll need to be reasonably close for it to be effective. If it has to be a rimfire a .22 mag would be my 1st choice and I'd still opt for head shots.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
17HMR if you're limited to the rimfires! As was stated before, limit your shots to the head and neck!!!!! DO NOT TRY TO BREAK ONE DOWN(fox or COYOTE) with a shoulder shot! The accurracy of the 17HMR's lends itself to being able to place the shot! The next one I own or test for somebody will be no. 25!!! Have yet to find one, NEF, Ruger, Remington, Savage or Marlin and even a T/C that was not a sub-MOA 100 yard rifle!! All be it I would like to see a different bullet than the 17VMax or the 17TNT made for it to shoot the bigger varmints! But until then, PUT HIS EYEBALL OUT!!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim B.: I would definitely go with the 17 HMR on Coyote and Fox. I got my Ruger 77/17V last year (14 months ago) and have only killed two Coyotes with it so far. Both were one shot kills. One was a head shot and the other a broadside lung shot. The lung shot Coyote did spin a bit before collapsing. I also killed a large Boar Badger with one shot from the 17 HMR at 173 lasered yards! This 17 HMR cartridge, in my opinion and experiences is not only is more accurate, more lethal, flatter shooting, and has much less wind drift than the 22 LR it also significantly outperforms the 22 Magnum in the above named categories also. I have shot the 22 Magnum for 40+ years and it just does not hold a candle to what I have done with my 17 HMR this last year! All the Fox in my area have died off from the mange over the last year! I have yet to bag a Fox with this 17 HMR! But I have killed large Porcupines, large Rock Chucks, feral cats, the one big Badger, Skunks, Wild Turkey along with tons of Ground Squiirels and quite a large number of Prairie Dogs! I am sold on the lethality of the tiny speedy 17 HMR projectiles!
For myself I think the 100 to 120 yard range would be best adhered to for clean kills on Coyotes. I hope to have more experience with the 17 HMR and Coyotes here real soon. I will advise.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All hail the 17.
"shoot him in the eyeball"
Yeah, keep dreaming.

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim B.,

If you are restricted to using just a rimfire then by all means use a .22 WMR. Forget the little .17 HMR as the bullets are way to fragile for coyotes. Sure it will kill them but shot placement is critical. If the coyote moves a bit at the shot you got a wounded critter. I know of a local that bought one for coyotes and it has been a miserable failure. He has ended up tracking a number of wounded coyotes and he has lost a few too. The .17 should work just fine on critters up to 10-12 pounds but not on coyotes unless they are little ones. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I've been the 17's noisiest advocate for a year or two now, but to answer your question objectively, I'd have to say neither caliber. I just wouldn't do it, myself.

I choose the weapon based on its ability to anchor the quarry under less than optimum conditions and frankly those aren't up to it, IMO. Can you use a shotgun in that area?

My two cents, YMMV

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot the 17 yet, but I'd go with the 22 magnum no questions asked. In the proper close up scenario the 22 LR works but it in hardly ever quick or clean. If there is a lot of cover you may never find the animal, he may go a mile before he dies.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redial,

If I were to use a shotgun I would be limited to #4 shot or smaller. Not number 4 buck, regular 34 shot.

I can only use the arms and ammunition legal to use for rabbit or squirrel.

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#4 shot from a close 'yote is better than either rim fire, but that assumes good calling technique. I'd go for the .22 mag if I wanted a rifle.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote