THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    New rifle for pdogs - opinions please

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New rifle for pdogs - opinions please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hope to hit the pdog fields next summer and need to get a new rifle. I've got 22lr and 17hmr for close stuff and 22-250 for 400-500 range and need something in-between. I've settled on a 223, but need help on the rifle/scope combo.

So, build me a rifle to pdogs and paper. I want your opinion on the complete package. Which rifle and which scope?

Now here's the kicker, I'm on a budget right now and only have about $1000 to spend for the whole thing. I know you guys are a lot more experienced than I, so I am appealing to the masses. I'm the only gun-nut in the family so most of my info comes from boards like these.

Here's what I'm thinking, maybe a savage vlp in 223 with weaver bases, matte medium burris signature zee rings, and a 6x18 nikon buckmaster with nikoplex reticle.

Here's your chance to spend someone else's money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin, The VLP is a quality rifle!!! The Buckmster 6-18 with the target turrets is a quality scope!!! Millet rings atop the bases supplied with the rifle will suffice!!! Tomorrow, a rifle just as you described will "do the deal" out to 600 yards on groundhogs!!! Only it will be a .204 instead of the .223!! Both will "do the deal"!!! GHD PS: And you ought to have about $100.00 of your budgeted 1000.00 to buy ammo and or reloading components with!!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with a Savage 12 BVSS or a Ruger VT or a VLS in 223...

for the scope I'd skip the Nikon Buckmaster 6 x 18 and instead go with the 4.5 x 14 because one of those can be had with a mildot reticle... and I think once you used one, you could give up a little extra magnification for a lot more utility in the field......

You are on the right path tho!

cheers and good luck with your choice,
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Justin B:
I hope to hit the pdog fields next summer and need to get a new rifle. I've got 22lr and 17hmr for close stuff and 22-250 for 400-500 range and need something in-between. I've settled on a 223, but need help on the rifle/scope combo.

So, build me a rifle to pdogs and paper. I want your opinion on the complete package. Which rifle and which scope?

Now here's the kicker, I'm on a budget right now and only have about $1000 to spend for the whole thing. I know you guys are a lot more experienced than I, so I am appealing to the masses. I'm the only gun-nut in the family so most of my info comes from boards like these.

Here's what I'm thinking, maybe a savage vlp in 223 with weaver bases, matte medium burris signature zee rings, and a 6x18 nikon buckmaster with nikoplex reticle.

Here's your chance to spend someone else's money.

I'd get the Remington XR-100, Burris 4-16 or 6-24 Sig. Select, mounted on Leupold bases and Burris rings. What better package could you ask for? Jay

P.S. That might take you a bit over a grand, but not by much.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like your gun, and Jay's scopes with Ball. Mil-Dot reticle. If that particular Savage is a 9 twist like some of their others try the bigger bullets, and beat that 22-250 for pr. dogs.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What you need is a .204.
For perrie dogs and the like this caliber is hard to beet. thumb
Try out this site for good info:
http://www.204ruger.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've read alot about the 204, but I have decided to stick with the 223. Bigger selection of bullets, etc. May eventually punch it out to AI. The savage vlp keeps callin my name, but don't have that cash right now. Been trolling for a good used scope for right now.