New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting with a Suppressor
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone hunt with a suppressor for varmints? I just picked up a Gem Tech M4-02 after months of paperwork and BS. I don't know if its legal in some states to hunt with, but it could give me another reason to use it.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Can't use it for game animals here in Montana but I can see no reason not to use it on non-game species. Make sure you keep a copy of your Form 4 on you when afield since most Fish Cops won't have a clue about legality. bewildered

Also, if crossing state lines with it you must have an approved 5320 (I think) in possession as well.

Have at it!

Redial

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No 5320 needed to take a suppressor out of state, just machineguns, DDs, etc.

Posts: 55 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is legal in Oregon to posses a suppressor and to hunt with one. I have hunted ground squirrels (picket pins), rock chucks and coyotes with them. I have used suppressors on and hunted with them on .22LR, .223, .30 Carbine, 30-30, .308 9mm and .45 ACP. The .22, 9mm and .45s were pretty quiet as they were subsonic. The others were with Sionics suppressors and an original Maxim.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Thanks Marc - didn't know it didn't apply to cans.

Where might you be in the Peoples Republic of Merlin?

Another Mark (Riedl)

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Roy Richardson
posted Hide Post
sofaI'm in the process of getting a surpressor now. Bought a ThunderTrap. I think it will be great for prairie dogs. When I start shooting them, they are always close and then the shots tend to be farther shots as the noise wears on them.

"Its shootin' time somewhere!

Posts: 22 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We use them a lot over here in the UK on any thing from a 22lr to most centrefire rifles on health and safety grounds to reduce damage to hearing.
Perhaps that is something you over there should think about, after all if you are a game keeper/ hunter or trapper, that is excessive noise from muzzle blasts in the work place. Plus it helps by reducing distrubance to other game in the area.

Posts: 1 | Location: uk | Registered: 17 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
Pretty much everyone uses them here (UK). It wont stop the sonic crack but it does cut out the muzzle blast moise to the point that you dont normaly need ear protection when hunting.

To get the best noise reduction get a can with the hole in the blast baffle matched to the caliber ( but then make sure you dont put it on the wrong rifle).

Posts: 7187 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
Id love to have one for hunting yotes with a 223 or for huntin pdogs with a 17 hmr, I know the supersonic issues, but still I think my AR with a can would be soooo slick to hunt with, I dont know the yotes would know what is going on, unless I missed hehhe

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Cold,

An AR with a can on it is a very useful device BUT if you're lefthanded like I am, a can increases the residual pressure within the system, resulting in TONS of gas exiting via the ejection port. It's damned annoying sometimes. Neat rig if you're right handed.

Redial

one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I have found out, if you miss a coyote or other varmint shooting a rifle with a suppressor, The animal will run towards you rather than away since they only have the super sonic crack to listen to.

roflmaoOf course I don't miss so its not a problem for me. roflmao

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i do thumb

Posts: 5 | Location: UK | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like you had a fruitful night, tommy.

What is your rifle?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
tika 595 all weather .223
wildcat moderator
nightforce scope
shooting- 55gn vmax
fed case, fed 205 primer, 27.5gn varget
getting +/- 0.25" @100yds Eeker

Posts: 5 | Location: UK | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at this site guys:
http://soundmoderator.com/
It should answer a lot of your questions. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never thought about it, but I have been thinking about one and now you have given me a perfect excuse!

one of us
posted Hide Post
When you fill out the paperwork for a suppressor (or a machinegun), I have been told to state "For all lawful purposes" when it comes to the reason you want one. I guess it works to satisfy the Feds. The sherriff in Washoe County says he signs off on four or five guns a month...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TomFromTheShade
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind setting up a nice bolt action, heavy barreled, suppressed .22 LR, and getting some of the heavy sub-sonic rounds. It would make an ideal close range pest round for those times when the sound of a gun shot is more trouble than its worth.

- TomFromTheShade -

Make it a point in life to leave this world a little better off than it was before you came into it.

Posts: 81 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomFromTheShade:
I wouldn't mind setting up a nice bolt action, heavy barreled, suppressed .22 LR, and getting some of the heavy sub-sonic rounds. It would make an ideal close range pest round for those times when the sound of a gun shot is more trouble than its worth.

Tom,

Sorry if you live in NJ you cannot own suppressors or machine guns. There are also other states like yours that you cannot own Class III, move to Idaho then you can.

Here is the basic outline for going trough legalities of obtaining a transferable suppressor. More information is obtainable from http://www.atf.gov/

1. If you want to get a suppressor, you first have to order it from a dealer of NFA weapons.

2. When it arrives, he/she will send you fingerprint cards and two copies of another form, I forget the number now. You have to take the forms to your sheriff and get his/hers signature. (They will do a background check of you) Then you have to get two copies of fingerprints to send in, plus 2 passport size photo's of you to attach to the forms.

3. Send all information then plus a $200 check to the ATF for the tax stamp and a FBI background check. This process normally takes 3 months.

4. If you do get approved, you then have to fill out a 4473, pass a NICS background check, and then you can have it. You will then get your suppressor with a $200 tax stamp from the treasury. If you want to sell the suppressor to someone, they have to go through this same process.

5. You cannot take the suppressor out of state lines, or that is a felony punishable of 10 years in jail and a $250,000 fine. (I think it could be more) You can take the suppressor out of state lines if you first contact the ATF and get basically a "passport" for the suppressor. Oh, I forgot. If you do not keep a copy of the tax stamp or an original of the tax stamp with the suppressor at all times, that is also a felony punishable of the 10/250,000 stated above.

This is just the basic outline of the process to own a suppressor. Check out ATF's site for more information.

http://www.atf.gov/pub/nfab/index.htm

This was for any of you who had some interest in it.

hijack

DRSS .470 & .500