Tools

Snared One
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Got this female song dog via snare this morning:

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pic. And congrats. Even the 'yote is smiling! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are very nocturnal here so snaring works better than calling and shooting.

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My sister, who lives just south of Williamston, MI, is worried about the coyotes she's seeing around her rural property (30 acres of apple trees, plus I don't know how many maple trees ). I may send her this...then again, she may not send me any more real maple syrup.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coyote Caller
posted Hide Post
Keep up the good work!

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year I snared a real pretty female, it had longish legs with a lot of rust red coloring. This one is much grayer in over all color and had shorter looking legs.

Prof,

If your sister doesn't want the wild k-9's I can help her (happily) eliminate them. I prefer to shoot them but in my particular area they know they are targets, hence creatures of the night. But if she is seeing them regularly, hey, much more fun to control them. Smiler

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ann,

Haven't seen much snaring going on these days. Nice to see an old method being used. What is legal up there for traps. Here in MA nothing is legal these days. Hell I have to use muzzleloader. As legally we can only use #4(or smaller) in shotgun and that just ain't right if you ask me. Not enough power and way to many holes. I have to travel west to be able to use the rifles which is where the fun is.

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty-

Where ya been lately? Smiler

Unfortunately my state changed the regs this year. The "dog" people teamed with pissersHSUS to try and ban traps and snares because they worried about their dogs getting killed. Instead, the state said snares had to be non-lethal and changed how the swivels, locks, etc are done on them. Seems the wild k-9's didn't read the new regs though.

I am a dog owner. I have a real nice lab. But if she were to run through a snare she'd just sit there until I found her. But I don't let her run loose anyway. I check mine every day. They are set too high for cats, my cats go with me when I put up sets. So no one loses their pets.

A conibear will kill a dog but a snare won't as a dog doesn't struggle against the snare like a wild k-9 does. I just caught someone's big lab in a snare a week ago. He just sat in the trail barking. No collar on the dog, I freed him and he went on his way no worse for wear.

I like snares a lot better than traps, they are a heck of a lot less work and no baiting needed.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other Chat rooms Go Go Varmint & AR15.com. Snares are about the only trap I haven't gotten to use, but like trying everything at least once. I do have some and just used them in the yard where the critters get into the pens but they always have figured them out. My dogs get pissed at me when they step in the legholds. Thank goodness for the subsonic 22's so at least I can quietly dispatch a threat or trapped critter in the back yard now.

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann, probably about 15 years ago travelling about 10 miles from the nearest ranch I crossed a wash and off to the right was a great dane caught in a trap. Legal or not I turned it loose with the help of my buddy. It was pretty scary though. When we finally got it loose we gave it some water and it headed in a bee line for the closest ranch.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand, but, it didn't kill the dog and hopefully the Dane wasn't injured.

I was scared too when I went to release someone's strange labrador caught in my snare (different from a trap). He was scared, so was I. But, most dogs are used to collars and leashes and thus being restrained. That's why the snares don't kill them. A dog doesn't fight it like a wild k-9 will.

If someone runs snares or traps and doesn't check them like they should, then people's pets could be killed. And that's just not right or responsible.

My snares are on my property and they get checked every day during the legal season. They are pulled in now but they have sure been a help to me on the farm keeping wild k-9's off my poultry.

In all my years I've only caught one dog and that was just two weeks ago!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the fur get damaged without setting the snare up to kill? I'm amazed that the animal rights people prefer to let the animal linger because it might be someones pet. That one's a bit hard for me to swallow. I say use a drag and a cable lock to kill em fast. It's a nice looking yote though. I'm sure you'll make something nice out of if.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No damage to the fur at all!

I've only caught one 'yote that didn't choke out where I had to go and shoot it. But most fight the snare so fast they die very quickly.

That's one reason I like them so much, it doesn't injure pets. Wildlife (targets) do die quickly with out hours of pain and suffering like a leg hold will cause them to endure. I won't use a conibear on dry land.

I would be more scared to try and release a dog from a leg hold as he will be in a lot of pain!

I have my snares made professionally to meet my state regulations as each state can vary. They do have stops on them. The guy I buy them from published a book on how to do it right. I followed it religiously and have been very successful.

I take great care to set them so deer cannot get in them and try as best as possible to avoid pets or other non target animals.

If anyone wants my snare man's info drop me a PM and I will give you his email.

~Ann