Find
Notify
Tools

Best carbine length varminter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Input please...

I'm dreaming of a Contender carbine 18" (maybe up to 20"). I can see it now, except for the caliber. For some reason I just can't get the caliber engraving in focus. I suspect that it's either a 6 TCU or a .223 Ackley Improved. Which would you pick? (I've got both calibers in pistol length barrels, but I want a rifle!) Got a better choice?

I got a little input from the "Single Shot Pistol" forum, but thought maybe I might get more input here.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Since you've got both in pistol length barrels, I'd opt for the 6mm TCU. However, if you want a Contender type cartridge, I'd go with a 6mm Bullberry or .218 Bee. Rimmed cartridges are handier (this from guy with .35 Rem, 7mm TCU, etc [Wink] )

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed has some velocity data for the .223 with a progressively shorter barrel. You might want to take a look at that.
http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html
Ben

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a 6 mm PPC built with a 20" bbl. I have some data on this cartridge showing 3100 fps with 75 gr and 3000 with 85 gr using a 24" bbl. I figure in the 20" bbl it will probably be 2900-3000 with the 75 gr and 2800-2900 with the 85 gr.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you're only hunting rodents, crows, foxes, and bobcats, plus close-range coyotes, a .223 is tough to beat.
If you're going to shoot coyotes at long range, something bigger is better. I have an SSK 6.5JDJ that is probably the best combination for range, power, bullet choice, and payload. But I am biased. [Wink]

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
For the little critters mentioned, a .221 Fireball w/ 20" barrel is hard to beat. No problem getting a 40gr B-Tip up to 3,600 ft/sec with small powder charges. Quite accurate in a good rifle too.
VH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Saeed's most excellent study reveals two things. One I knew. One I didn't know.

1. You lose on average about 25 fps per inch of barrel length.
2. The effect on accuracy is almost insignificant.

Personally, I have ALWAYS been willing to sacrifice a little velocity for handiness, balance etc.

With ANY cartridge, the fact someone else's bullets may be going 50 fps faster than mine produces a big yawn in me. (And the animal/target)  -

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
B_Koes,

I have had the same dilemma for over a year now and still haven't resolved it.... I have a 6mmTCU pistol barrel (12.75" VVCG 1:8") that is incredible both in accuracy and velocity and my last 223 barrel was also great.

I want a carbine barrel to compliment my pistol barrels and would love to just call Virgin Valley and order a 24" Full Bull 6mmTCU barrel with 1:8 or 1:9 twist and be done with it but I'm sure that I'd like it so much that I'd probably turn right around and then order it in 223 also.. <sigh>

This TC addiction is keepin' me gun poor....

Someone please help me.... I need one cheap.... How 'bout just loaning me one for a couple of years or until I get bored with it.... <g>

Seriously... I think my final choice will be 6mmTCU in 21" - 24" configuration and I'll just go ahead and get a target forend with it and put a 6-24x Bushnell on it and never look back....

quote:
Originally posted by B_Koes:
Input please...

I'm dreaming of a Contender carbine 18" (maybe up to 20"). I can see it now, except for the caliber. For some reason I just can't get the caliber engraving in focus. I suspect that it's either a 6 TCU or a .223 Ackley Improved. Which would you pick? (I've got both calibers in pistol length barrels, but I want a rifle!) Got a better choice?

I got a little input from the "Single Shot Pistol" forum, but thought maybe I might get more input here.

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a T/C Carbine that I dearly love even though TC doesn't have a clue about how to properly cut chambers. That's another subject.

IMHO the TC Carbine is so light, short and handy with a 22" barrel why would you worry about making it shorter? I mean geez, it's almost ridiculous how dainty it is. 5 1/4 pounds scoped, damn thing is a zephyr. Almost hang it in air while I scratch, or chase women. With a 26" barrel it's still dinky. Doesn't make sense to me to try to make a rifle small when you have a long pistol to start out with. As to performance, if you're going long range, velocity is everything. Sorry but it is, and longer barrel are the easiest way to speed things up with a given cartridge and its pressure limits. That would be why so many people have .223's AND 22-250's or swifts. Keep it simple and get the .223 barrel,(AI) if you must. None of the 6mm cartridges that the CONTENDER can handle will have any more range and are unlikely to be worth the effort insofar as handling wind WITHIN THEIR RANGE LIMITATIONS. If you really want to go wild, get an Encore and any of a number of the high intensity cases it'll handle.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote