THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Ruger No 1 Varmint or 77 varmint?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ruger No 1 Varmint or 77 varmint?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thanks for your advice Fifty, you confirmed what I though woud be true but never haing owned a No 1 I thought I'd ask.

I am looking at a Ruger as a project rifle due to legal reasons in Itlay.

They have a catalog system here and the only firles cataloged in 22PPC are the Sako 75, Ruger 77 & No1 apart from a few big dollar bench guns.

It's not been easy(impossible) finding a Sako75 action and a rifle, even if it is beat up costs quite a bit.
I'm hoping to find a cheap Ruger, get it trued up and rebarreled.

Yes, I would much prefer the Sako but I just can't find a cheap rifle or an action.

Thanks again.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a #1 in .22-250 that I love. It has had a trigger job and the forend has been floated and glassed and will shoot with the best of them. It does have an after market barrel though.

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both.
My Ruger #1 223 is very new, I got it when a guy from Ft Lewis bought it and got transfered, so he took it back to the store.

I got a Lothar Walther barrel to re barrel it, but it turned out to be my best stock barrel.

The aftermarket barrel blank just leans on the wall in the shop while the stock #1 gets great groups, is slow to foul, fast to clean, and shoots straight when hot.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I adore #1's! That said I would say the 77 would probably shoot better.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote