New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 varmint rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Know that the AR15 is a good rifle after all the years of development. Know that it dominates High Power competition these days.

See a lot of videos of prairie dog hunts with AR15 rifles. In the videos, all the shooters love them.

But have been to three different prairie dog outfitters in recent years where the subject of AR15 varmint rifles came up in conversation. They said that they had had several folks show up with them, but that they were disasters. All the time was spent unjamming them. The AR15 rifles never shot in the same league as when the same shooters used their bolt action rifles.

What are the varmint rifle builders, handloaders, or shooters doing wrong that causes issues when the AR15 is used in prairie dog towns ?

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:

What are the varmint rifle builders, handloaders, or shooters doing wrong that causes issues when the AR15 is used in prairie dog towns ?

Hammer

Something doesn't make sense. I have long ago lost count on the number of rounds through my AR. (and most of them at pds) It is throated so bad I can't reach the rifling with even heavy bullets, and can't recall the last jam. Can't recall any. Two other guys I shoot with have ARs, same thing.

I do recall one guy I took out pd hunting several years ago who brought his AR with him. He was in a hurry to get some loads made up for it and failed to check the case length on some brass that he picked up at the range. Some of the cased were .030 too long and when they were fired the front half of the case stayed in the chamber, the bolt ripped the back half off and spit it out and the next round was forced into the shoulder and neck that was still in the chamber. Luckily, the bolt would not close all the way so the shell did not fire. I decided then to never go hunting with him again and I haven't.

You don't think it could be something like this do you ?????????

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i tend to think the people you have been listening to are a bit full of it. The well made ar's shoot varmits in the same league as any other 223.Unless there are ammo problems the ar's are perfectly reliable. So far as being in the same league, providing they are not camparing a 223 to a swift at long range, i think most ar's will hold their own. My J&P for instance will consistantly hold in the .4 class, and my sons DPMS is about the same. Yes some bolts will do better, but not many.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
A good rifle and the man behind it will not suffer the consequences you mention. I have been on several Pdog shoots and my

CR6724

has performed flawlessly to ranges of 1,106 yards lasered. Yes, a .223(handload) killed Pdogs beyond 1,000 yards. Thank you Hornady 75 grain A-Max, Varget powder and Federal 205M primers... In each hunt I shot over 1,000 rounds of .223 and by never shooting past 50 rounds (for heat disapation) before a cleaning and lubrication had zero malfunctions. If a person wished to just shoot until it broke and had unlimited ammunition, I am sure they might get their wish. I do feel that bolt rifles have an accuracy edge in some calibers and configurations, but for colony varmints... give me my AR.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These guys didn't seem to have any issues at all. They spent three days using 3000 rds. with no trouble that was gun or ammo related.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=436812&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
My very first AR gave me nothing but grief. It was an FN flattop upper. Internet special. That gun nearly turned me off of AR's. The last two I have purchased or put together have operated flawlessly since I have owned them. The latest I have only put 50-60 rounds through. I have reoloaded some ammo but I have good luck with Black Hills so I usually just buy it. One big complaint is that it is impossible to reach the lands in any of the barrels I have had due to magazine length. I am sold on accu-wedges or any other device that removes the play between the upper and lower recievers. Must have a tactical latch on the charging handle. Must have a JP single stage trigger.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is my all around Coyote AR-15 Custom. DPMS Southpaw Flat-Top with Colt Chrome 1-7 20" Barrel. Four rail DPMS Gas Block and Hogue Tube forarm and grid. Match Two Stage Trigger. Rifle will shoot 62 gr.HP with .5 MOA groups at 100 yards.