Find
Notify
Tools

I love THAT sound!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted
BLUMP!, when a .224 - 55 grainer connects with a groundhog. Big Grin Connected with one tonight at 225 Yrds. Absolutly text book; ranged him with the MIL dot, Dialed him in and parked a round right in the back of his head. TEXT BOOK!

I've been to this one farm 4 times and have engaged and terminated 3 chucks. One with a .22LR and two with my M77MKII-VLE .22-250. There are a few more right in and around the equipment sheds; this makes for tricky shooting and requires perfect precision. I use the .22LR with HV HP's for this as the shooting is close and personal and I don't want pass throughs. I'm only able to get out once a week, so the fun will last a while longer unless I start doing doubles or triples.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless I come across some rockchucks, the sound I hear is more like a nice sort of a PWOP! and then 2 or 3 (sometimes more) body parts scattered about. Had to listen to that noise for almost 2 straight days a couple of weeks ago. I love the sound of direct hits on ground squirrels in the morning!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, Yea that sound is fun to experience!!! BUT!!! It's May 12th!! If you heard that sound on an "ol sow" chuck, you have efffectively cost yourself the experience and enjoyment of hearing it 4-6 times more this season or double or triple that next year!!! Memorial Day weekend is when you can really open up here!! By then the babies are not really babies anymore!! They're big enough to get on with being groundhogs!!! GHD(Btdt)!!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GHD

You are a farmer and know deep, down inside that any dead 'chuck is a good 'chuck.
There are so many in this area that the local farmers would scorn me if I refrained from shooting this time of the year, fact is I shot a big female last evening after the rainstorm

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
My varmint friends and I call it "The Sound Of Truth"...

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are a farmer and know deep, down inside that any dead 'chuck is a good 'chuck.

BINGO!, I grew up on the neigbors dairy farm back where I grew up, and learned to hate the furry little demons.

I was secretly pleased that it was a bore though. The Gents whos' farm I'm shooting on would prefer it if I'd wiped them all out a month + ago, as one put it, "before the babies can eat my seedlings."

I know what you mean GD, but requests are orders when you are shooting on sombody elses land.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I know the feeling of experiencing that ""whumph" when the VMaxs or BT's make connection. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass either as I have SOME PROPERTIES that the landowner wants them ERADICATED on and others that are usually season long hunting oppurtunity lands. On the eradication places, HAVE AT IT!! On the well used hunting places, try to wait just a bit. And if it's a guy growing soybeans, he will want them SHOT!!! I have eradicated them from one particular place that I hunt just plain over killing them 3 years ago!! I walked the place 2 weeks ago and none of the dens are being used!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hammering I didn't hear any thing! Yesterday I shot a Jack rabit as it was running away from me. About 25 yds with a 223 55gr V-max. I must of hit it near its neck it nearly severed its head but what it did was blew its heart 3' feet out and away from its body,get this its heart was still beating??????????

How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but looses his soul

Posts: 183 | Location: SF Bay area | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That maybe a fun sound....

But it is sure a more funner time, when you EXPLODE a sage rat or prairie dog...

That red mist thing is just too darn addicting...

YOu feel guilty first time out... but as soon as you see that they are also cannibals.... some how exploding a rat who is a cannibal, takes all the guilt away....you start feeling you are doing a service to mankind or something....

YOu start learning, if you hit them right here, they will blow 5 to 8 feet in the air.. or you hit them right there, they will explode in half, with the left half going 20 yds to the left and the right half going 20 yrds to the right....

And then you watch 3 or 4 come running to chow down on the remains... and start exploding them also...

It is more fun that Elk, deer or antelope hunting....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote