THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    New Glass Advice for New Rifle

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Glass Advice for New Rifle
 Login/Join

posted
I purchased a new Savage 10FP in .223 caliber and now need to get a quality scope for it. The rifle will be used for varmint hunting. I have been told to get a Leupold or a Nikon but those are big dollars. I read on the Internet that a Swift scope was just as good or better than a Leupold at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Anyone familiar with Swift products? Appreciate you advice.

Posts: 13 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a 8-32 x 50 on my 223 (Ruger #1-V), and it works well. I would not, however, go so far as to say it is comperable to a Leupold.
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Leupold 4.5 X 14 Vari X III Tactical with a 1" tube is hard to beat. It has 67 MOA of adjustment and is crystal clear. At a little over $500 from Premier Reticle, it is all the scope a varmint rig would ever need. The Premier Reticle price includes your choice of target dot, fine duplex, standard duplex, etc. If you shoot in volume Sinclair offers mirage tubes for it. You won't be dissapointed with it!

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just purchased a Bushnell 4200 Elite 8-32 x40mm lens (1"tube) for $389 from Nachez. They also have a lower power Elite 6-24, I believe. Although a long scope, it seems comparable to my Leupold LR 6.5-24 x50 (30mm tube)which cost $775. The Elite comes with a lifetime warranty to anyone who owns the scope; ownership receipt not required. This scope was recommended by a friend who has both Leupold and Elites. Am very pleased with the purchase.
Ron

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
C210,
Where can I find the Nachez website to take a look at the Elite Scope?

Posts: 13 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A swift is not as good as leupold. I would reccommend a scope with a paralax adjustment. Preferably a side paralax adjustment; They are expensive; but if you watch were you buy; you get what you pay for. I have owned many scopes over the years and prefer Leupolds for quality and cost vs. benefit. Everyone says; It's as good as a Leupold or It's better than a Leupold; But they are always comparing TO a Leupold. So; that should tell you something about leupold. I have a Bushnell 3200 and this particular Bushnell is not as good as my Leupolds; in my opinion. The Bushnell now sits on my youngest son's rifle.

[ 08-08-2003, 04:46: Message edited by: Old & Slow ]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XMan:
C210,
Where can I find the Nachez website to take a look at the Elite Scope?

http://www.natchezss.com/
..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Swift, and it is good glass for the money. I would buy another. With that said, I also have a Bushnell 4200 6x24x40, and at a little over 300, it is EXCELLENT, at least to these eyes. With a 223, I'm not so sure you need 67 MOA of adjustment, unless you are into some real long range shooting, with heavy bullets. If its on your "Favorite go to" rifle, I would choose the 4200. If its on your "other rifle", I bet you would be happy with the Swift. Ken

Posts: 2 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the Leupolds a lot and they are expensive. They have no trouble getting almost full value on Ebay. I did find a website that is selling a new Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40mm Adj. Obj. Fine Dplx MAtte for $485.00 and so far that is the best price I have found on the Internet. Is that a good price? I am tempted to buy it. My second choice is the Bushnell Elite 4200 and the best price on it was $379.00 and I get a free Rain Parka with the deal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
XMan,

I hate to say it, but don't let the Rain Park seal the deal for you. I have heard several stories of guys not get there jacket last year.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
XMan,

Don't over look Burris scopes. Their warranty is every bit as good as a Leupold and so is the quality. I use them and save a few bucks in the process. Try their Signature II models, great scopes. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I am a dedicated Leupold fan, when it came time to scope my varmit rifle I put a weaver grand slam 6.5x20 on it because the leupold cost too much for a gun I consider to be a toy. It cost around $300 if I remember correctly and is a very nice scope. I had a bushnell 4000 6x24x40 on another varmit rifle and I like the weaver quite a bit better. You might consider the weaver as well as the others.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you boltman. Weaver is starting to get the credit that they deserve. The Grand Slam is an outstanding scope for the money. People associate Weavers with being a cheaply made scope, but since Meade has taken them over, they are producing some high quality products and you will see the quality improve even more over time.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are planning to trade rifle and scope in a couple of years then I might also look at the weaver as well. I don't own one but would trust Mr. Jackoviak's opinion. But; I know more than one rifle trader aquaintance that has traded 3 or four rifles out from under the same leupold. They will trade the gun in a skinny minute; But won't even think about trading the Leupold. You might take a beating on the trade in value of the Weaver though. IN all the gun shops I go in I see alot of "Litely" used scopes of all different typical brands except one - Leupold.

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by XMan:
I purchased a new Savage 10FP in .223 caliber and now need to get a quality scope for it. The rifle will be used for varmint hunting. I have been told to get a Leupold or a Nikon but those are big dollars. I read on the Internet that a Swift scope was just as good or better than a Leupold at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Anyone familiar with Swift products? Appreciate you advice.

Stop. You may not want to hear this but believe me. You will never regret saving up your money and buying a Leupold to put on your rifle.

With scopes the attage, "you get what you pay for" is very very real. The scope is your interface to the rifle, you use it everytime you shoot the rifle. You owe it to yourself to do well there.

Now, you live in SoCal. You didn't say what you wanted to shoot. The Leupold Vx-1 4-12x is a bargain costing a little over $220 or so. If you have real intensions of hitting the fertile california ground squirrel havens of central and northern california then yes, you'll want a 6.5x20 AO and it'll cost you as much as the rifle or more. It's worth it. Leupold scopes hold their value pretty well. You'll never regret buying it.

Regards,
re5513

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with RE5513 as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for RE5513's comments. I'm not sure of your style when it comes to buying rifles, but when I buy a rifle, I buy it with the intention of keeping it for a very long time. Not to sell it in 2 years after I have had my fun with it. I research the hell out of it before I buy. So, I look at this way: this is a gun I will have for many years and probably hand down to my son. Fifteen years from now, am I really gonna miss the $150 I could've saved by buying a lesser scope? Probably not.
And if the small chance arises that I do have to sell it, which scope do you think will hold it's value better, the Leupold or the Swift? People are selling used scopes all the time. Check around for a used Leupold before going with a new Swift. You won't be sorry.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I rike Weaver arot.

[ 08-21-2003, 15:54: Message edited by: DRAGONLADY ]

Posts: 374 | Location: Golden Chopstix Restaurant | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have had quite a few scopes from Simmons to Nightforce, and for the money you cannot beat a Bushnell 4200 Elite, if you are using it for varmint hunting, and that's what I do. Others may work better for other things, but Bushnell for the dollar is my favorite.

Posts: 8 | Location: Ste. 1020, 1819 Fifth Ave. North | Registered: 25 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope in 6x24 (old Bausch & Lomb) and am quite happy with it. The optics are very clear, quite bright. I don't think the manufacturer matters too much in selecting a good scope. It's the model you buy. One top of the line model will be pretty much equal to another, as will one cheap model be much like another. With scopes, like most other things, you only get what you pay for. Boy, did I ever learn that the hard way. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto for the B&L 4200 ELite. My father has one on a win M70 22-25, can hunt at night with a little snow and moon. (Legal for varmints)

I have had a little problem with the burris, my recticle started spinning in the tube after 5 shots on a 300wm. sent it in and they sent me a new one, customer service was excellent and I would buy another.

Andrew

Posts: 49 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote