New
Find
Notify
Tools

any one shooting a 22PPC ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where do you get your brass? Whats required to form the cases ?
do you like the caliber?
Thanks Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i made mine out of rem (UMC) 7.62x39 brass. gotta use the umc because ww has large primer pockets and the ppc uses small - it was a real pain in the ass to make. Option would be to pick up some norma 6mm ppc brass, but it's kinda pricey (as i remember it was something like a buck each) to form from 7.62 took a couple of intermediate dies, where the 6mm could be just run thru the 22 die. its a good caliber, but nothing special, just a tad bit more than a 222 mag, but not up to 22/250. my load was a 40 gr nolser bt and 30 gr of H335. blew the snot out of prairie dogs.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the middle of building a .20 PPC.

.220 Russian cases by Lapua are 22 PPC, can you not get them over there?

Contact Todd Kindler at www.woodchuckden.com I know he sells it.

Lapua PPC brass is about the best brass you can buy and the round is built for accuracy and not absolute top speed but it is no slouch either.

See your loading manual for a history of its development, it was developed as a bench rest round for accuracy by bench shooters and will make a superb varmint round if accuracy is your focus rather than max velocity. The case has about 10 % more capacity than .223 so isnt slow but is no Swift or anything like that.

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Back when I was shooting the .22 PPC I was using Sako .220 Russian cases and it is a simple fireforming opertion. Today I would use Lapua and just neck them down.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
220 Russian cases need not be necked down to make 22PPC. Just make sure your neck diameter is right. Load and fireform.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Eddie, I caught myself on that one, and was to lazy or tired to fix it. I stand corrected, and still recomend the Lapua. Thank you.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some places have factory cases. I bought a few hundred from Gun stop enterprises, 952 474 4570.
They are in the suburbs of Minneapolis, and the ship.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote