THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Squirrel young have been born.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrel young have been born.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It looks as if the babies have been born. Supposedly the darn things are so small they look like mice. But they are everywhere. But not for long. Location is Elko Nevada. Relatives live there and are beggin' me to come and exterminate. I told'm "It will be my pleasure". Next weekend the fun will begin. Plan on using the little 22 rimfire, the .223, the .308 with some 125 grain TNT's, and also experiment with some new 30-30 reloads, all at the squirrels expense. Taking the video camera/tripod setup and see if I can get some of this carnage for the history books. jumping

Posts: 70 | Location: N. Utah | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
We've got baby suirrels out here in CA also but we've had so much rain that the grass is 18" tall and you can't even see the big ones unless they're on their mounds.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my Safari today (April 30th) I Hunted at 6,100' for Ground Squirrels and no young were seen!
The ranches I Hunted today are plagued with Gophers and the ranchers want them erradicated!
I am saving my best areas for when the pups are out and "grassing" on their own!
What a difference a few degrees in latitude makes (or is it longitude?) in certain aspects of animals behavior?
I am sure I had a 350 Squirrel day today - I am sated (temporarily)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG,

I had a day like that last year. I swear I shot a few hundred and didn't make a dent in them. I nicknamed the area "the killing fields" when I was done. The name stuck and friends now ask me if I'm headed to the "fields" anytime soon. Razzer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a trip a few hours ago in Oregon. Lots of babies there. Not real young, more like 2 weeks old.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW.........this weekend was a blast. Ground squirrels galore with a few monster Jack rabbits thrown in each day. Two days of blastin' and my trigger finger is still twitchin'! Got a heck of a sunburn. Glad I bought some Steady Sticks. They came in handy once I got off the porch and startin' walking through the sage brush looking for them. Porch shots were more fun since they were longer shots of course. My new Pentax DCF SP 8x43 binos came in handy also. These squirrels began to wise up once their buddies were getting thumped. If you missed they would run behind some sage so you couldn't see them. I then put a .22 round into the bush and got them running again. Man, it was a great time. Hopefully we get to Wyoming next month for some 'dogs.

The ground squirrels are still out there thick.
Just thought I'd post a report to my original post.