posted
Quick question

Can I rechamber a 222 rem too 223 rem ?

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes - just run the chambering reamer in

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes but why would you want to.The triple deuce is still one of the most inherently accurate rounds of all time.Don't get me wrong I have a CZ 527 in .223 that shoots great but if I could have gotten the same gun for the same price in .222 I would have.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As posted above, yes you can.

I assume you desire to do this for ammunition availability and price, which may be a very good reason.

I, too, hate to see a nice .222 rechambered. The slightly smaller cartridge tends to be a bit more accurate (or achieves excellent accuracy more readily) than the .223, and in terms of practical usage they have the same power and range.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 223 has at least 75 more yards range on groundhogs than the 222, all things being equal. It handles 55 gr bullets better, usually having a faster rate of twist in factory barrels. I've had both and would take the 223, hands down. My model 700 ss has over 6000 rds and still can shoot raggedy hole 100 yd groups.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 223 was a cartridge that didn't need to be.
the .222 was and is the best in it's CLASS!
Show me the difference!The feds had to develop the 223 at taxpayers expence when they had the .222 and the222 MAG and the feds had to develop the 223 for millions when it fit right between the cartridges that were already there.
Do your home work.and show me how many BR matches were won by 223's,Show some respect
Boy and tell Charlie that i'd like to witness some of those 800 yard shots. 500 is the best i've been able to tesyify to. How about an invite,i'm retired so i'm open as to time

Stepchild

that i'd like to witness some of those 800 yard shots

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
The 223 was a cartridge that didn't need to be.
the .222 was and is the best in it's CLASS!
Show me the difference!The feds had to develop the 223 at taxpayers expence when they had the .222 and the222 MAG and the feds had to develop the 223 for millions when it fit right between the cartridges that were already there.
Do your home work.and show me how many BR matches were won by 223's,Show some respect
Boy and tell Charlie that i'd like to witness some of those 800 yard shots. 500 is the best i've been able to tesyify to. How about an invite,i'm retired so i'm open as to time

Stepchild

that i'd like to witness some of those 800 yard shots

Stepchild

Stepchild, valid points and then not. Now, don't get me wrong here I like the .222, but it came out in the early 50's way before the .223, and a lot of those BR records you speak of were not always by a straight .222 cartridge, a lot were modifications of the .222 case.

Tom

Posts: 38 | Location: Wi. | Registered: 22 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie P.:
Yes but why would you want to.The triple deuce is still one of the most inherently accurate rounds of all time.Don't get me wrong I have a CZ 527 in .223 that shoots great but if I could have gotten the same gun for the same price in .222 I would have.

ConfusedThat's strange. I bought a CZ 527 in .222. popcorn Did they discontinue it resently? holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
stepchild, A helluva lot less matches were won with 223's than the SUPERIOR 222 REMINGTON MAGNUM!! The 222MAG spawned the grand and glorious "6x47"which would still be the choice of BR shooters if Pendall and Palnisao hadn't concocted that little ditty known as the"PPC" back in the mid 70's! And later on the advent of the 204Ruger.............a finer varmint cartridge is still waiting to be discovered/derived!! As far as CM's exploits with the 223..............I'Ve been there when it went 605 yards for a "DRT" on a groundhog (4/22/06). The 800 yard shots.............YES they happen when we are shooting. Most times witnessed by 1-3 more folks. But both he and I use the 6mmREM or my 25-06 or the 260 Rem when they get over 600. I really like those "Dunkard Preacher" shots at LONG RANGE...................400 is where LONG RANGE starts with the varminters and"little guys". Wink GHD Big Grin

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger I came across a dealer on Gun Broker last winter who got a great deal on a large order of .223 527 American's who passed the savings on.I only paid 499+25 shipping Wink .They didn't have any in stock chambered for the .222 at the time.Sorry to say Frowner.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my Remington 700 VS in .222 re-chambered to .223AI in order to increase the range a bit and get better bullet expansion. There was no difference in accuracy for this varmint rifle. It averaged a little over 1/2" as a .222 and still averages a little over 1/2". Actually if anything, accuracy got a little better. It's favorite bullet remained the same although the powder producing best accuracy changed. Probably if we were trying to win bench rest matches the .222 would shoot a few hundredths of an inch tighter in a bench rest rifle with match grade bullets, but it doesn't matter in a varmint rifle shooting varmint bullets.
Re-chambering to .223AI achieved what I was trying to do. Bullet expansion at long range is more explosive and point blank range was increased by about 50 or 75 yards. Average velocity was increased by over 250 fps.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loaded to equal pressures (which factory loads are not), the .222 will fire a 50 grain bullet at the same velocity that a .223 fires a 55 grain bullet. That is the difference in ballistics between the two. Since energy generated at the same velocity is equal to the difference in mass, the .223 is 10% more powerful. That may be of some significance, but it hardly amounts to a 75-yard increase in effective range unless you consider the normal range of a .222 to be 750 yards to begin with.

I own a .222, .223, and .222 Magnum, all in identical rifles (same make, same barrel length, same barrel contour, same stock, and even mounted with the same scope). I also own a .221 Fireball in a similar, but not identical, rifle. I like and use them all, most often for prairie dogs. The effective range of any of them is, for practical purposes, the same.

I also own a Heavy Barrel .22-250. The distance at which I would rate the probability of a hit with it the same as the probability with a .222 is about 50 additional yards.

As I said earlier, if Kwan's motivation is the availability and price of .223 ammunition versus .222 ammunition, then rechambering might be justified. Otherwise it is not.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2Nice expose, Stonecreek. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Loaded to equal pressures (which factory loads are not), the .222 will fire a 50 grain bullet at the same velocity that a .223 fires a 55 grain bullet. That is the difference in ballistics between the two. Since energy generated at the same velocity is equal to the difference in mass, the .223 is 10% more powerful. That may be of some significance, but it hardly amounts to a 75-yard increase in effective range unless you consider the normal range of a .222 to be 750 yards to begin with.
tu2

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote