THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    ER Shaw 223 Barrel... Model 70

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ER Shaw 223 Barrel... Model 70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had fun with this barrel this summer.. and someone asked me to post a few pics of it...and the successes it went thru.. I figured even though it was a light summer for being able to go out and shoot.. it accounted for about 650 to 700 ground squirrels...

Here are a few pics of it in the field this summer...

Model 70, Boyd's Thumbhole Laminate Stock.. ER Shaw, Heavy Magnum Contoured Barrel.. 4 x 16 Weaver Scope... Target Dot reticle...

Load: 13.5 grains of Blue Dot, 55 grain Hornady SP Bulk bullets...MV about 3000 fps...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like that E R Shaw is doing just fine and
it is a nice looking outfit.l have had nine or ten Shaw barrels and only one was juke it was
a 22 rf the only 22 rf Shaw l tried..
What are you getting for groups ?
ls this your only Shaw barrel ?

Posts: 43 | Location: Hornell N.Y. | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back I had Shaw barrel a SA 700 ADL in 222 in the Remington varmint contour. It shoots extremely well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the only Shaw barrel right now...but it is shooting minute of sage rat out to 250 yds an further...

Its not as accurate as my Savage 12 BVSS, but beyond that, it is definitely plenty accurate for what I got it for!

I'll be trying a few more...

This rifle will eventually have barrels in 250 Savage, 260 and 7/08 Rem, and 308...

Along with a 17 Mach 4, or 17 Fireball...

The rifle was a 243, and I borrowed a bolt out of a 223 Featherweight...

This is going to be a switch barrel project...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The M70 is no longer made, so we have to enjoy the ones we've got.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/
It sounds like you are doing your part.

In light wind with my .223 I can hit any rodent I see at 130 yards. At 250 yards, it may take 10 shots, but if they hold still and I can see the dust fly, I will get them.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote