THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Varmint rifle for the lazy man

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint rifle for the lazy man
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Fred Moreo of Sharp Shooters Supply, the folks who specialize in Savages, has been playing with a modification of the Savage rifle.

Left hand bolt. Right hand eject. Or vise versa. Remove magazine. Have hole in stock under former magazine. Adjust ejector to eject downwards gently. Place box on table under hole.

Single shot rifle collects all the brass for reloading.

For bench shooters (not competition), for varmint shooters who use a field bench, etc.

For those of us too lazy to...

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Most of the competative single shot rifles I have seen have solid bottom metal to increase stiffness. It would seem that this idea flies in the face of current wisdom.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
Most of the competative single shot rifles I have seen have solid bottom metal to increase stiffness. It would seem that this idea flies in the face of current wisdom.

This is not considered a competition benchrest rifle. It is a modification of existing repeater action.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
What's the piont of a single shot bolt action if its not to be a target/varmint, (translate as "deadnuts accurate") rifle?
That and loading it without a place to position the round would be difficult. You would have to hand place every round in the chamber. That's going to get old quick reaching around scope and mounts with no cartridge support to help guide the nose into the chamber.

Its a neat idea, but I don't see the piont of doing it other than, "Look what I made."

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the piont of a single shot bolt action if its not to be a target/varmint, (translate as "deadnuts accurate") rifle?
That and loading it without a place to position the round would be difficult. You would have to hand place every round in the chamber. That's going to get old quick reaching around scope and mounts with no cartridge support to help guide the nose into the chamber.

Its a neat idea, but I don't see the piont of doing it other than, "Look what I made."

Don't think anyone said it wasn't accurate.

All other rifles that I know about built by Fred have been very accurate.

This is not being built for commercial purposes. Fred has built one, maybe two. Said that if one of his customers wanted one he might consider building another one.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I didn't even allude to the rife not being accurate. There are many many repeating bolt actions that are supurbly accurate, that's not the issue.
My feeling is...
What's the point of having a single shot if its not going to built as stiffly as possable? Other wise its just a bolt gun with no magazine. Personally Id' rather have the magazine. Just my opinion.
Or, perhaps I'm simply dence.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedHammer are you pulling our legs? animalroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously this action is not ya'll's cup of tea.

So Fred and I will enjoy it for our own use.

Combined with the other features of a Savage rifle with quick swap barrels makes varminting and experimenting easy.

Hammer

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Drop port actions are one of the latest hot ticket in competitive benchrest shooting. Left loading port and bottom eject for the empty case get rids of the ejector and a lot of people are shooting it now.
Check out the Viper actions.

http://www.viperactions.com/whats_new_index.htm

Viper Drop-port
The new drop port action is the best type of ejection action to ever hit the benches. A small hole in bottom of the action allows the spent cartridge to drop out the bottom of the action. A small part is available to glue into the stock to control the drop if desired. Only one 1/2 inch hole in the stock is required just ahead of the trigger guard. Gravity does all of the work, NO ejector is required. Unlike other ejector designs or microports, it ALWAYS works. Out of hundreds of rounds shot through the prototypes, not one has even hinted at a failure. We want to thank Jerry Hensler for the concept on this one. It is so trick we are even patenting it. If you want an ejection style action, this is the one for you.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now the action that I really want to have made...

Take two Weatherby Varmintmasters originally chambered in 224 Wby.

Cut them in half and weld them together adding length sufficient for a 375 H&H.

Convert to left-hand bolt.

Convert to Mauser claw extractor and controlled-feed.

Convert to cock-on-closing.

Install an original 95 Mauser trigger.

Add a Dave Gentry three-position wing safety.

Weatherby Custom stock will not be of value, so bed a Ramline stock.

Get a MidwayUSA Adams & Bennett barrel in 8mm Mauser and rechamber to 8mm RUM using a Savage barrel nut. Cut and crown to 18 inches.

Now this would be something to show the grandchildren.

Hammer

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fjold:
Drop port actions are one of the latest hot ticket in competitive benchrest shooting. Left loading port and bottom eject for the empty case get rids of the ejector and a lot of people are shooting it now.
QUOTE]

I did, and did you notice how much steel is those actions? They are totally enclosed with a loading port just big enough to get a round in. Much different than commercially made rifles.

Hammer, sounds interesting. I have a couple of questions and I'm not being a smart ass.
1) With the case capacity of the 8RUM why go with an 18" tube? This interests me because of things like muzzle blast, and the HUGE fire ball from the excess powder.
2) Why convert to cock on closing?

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
QUOTE]

I did, and did you notice how much steel is those actions? They are totally enclosed with a loading port just big enough to get a round in. Much different than commercially made rifles.

Hammer, sounds interesting. I have a couple of questions and I'm not being a smart ass.
1) With the case capacity of the 8RUM why go with an 18" tube? This interests me because of things like muzzle blast, and the HUGE fire ball from the excess powder.
2) Why convert to cock on closing?

My experience is that cock-on-closing is faster for me. Not a prediction for anyone else.

Short barrel to handle in the thick brush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

http://www.viperactions.com/whats_new_index.htm
QUOTE]

I've got one of those Viper actions slick as can be. Several hundreds of rounds now without any failure.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Viper Drop ports also and jsut love it. I sold my Nesika RBLP to buy it and am glad I did.

Mike

vmthtr@new.rr.com
920-562-4134

Posts: 224 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 08 November 2002Reply With Quote