New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope & Varmint Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lifes been just to hectic these last two weeks for me! I mean I am retired for Petes sake! With the Big Game seasons just coming on here in Montana I get a call 12 days ago to head for the west coast and a body guarding assignment! Well I think it over and decide I can get out to the Seattle area make some money, pick up two Varminters that I have arranged to buy, do a 2 day Gun Show, visit my parents, go to my cousins retirement party in Portland, Oregon and get back to SW Montana in time to load up for the 500 mile trek to far eastern Montana and the Antelope opener (Sunday October 13th). I got home from the coast on Thursday the 10th and loaded the rig up for Antelope and Varmints! It pays to keep all your Rifles sighted in at all times! No wasted last minute trips to the range for me anymore!
The trip to eastern Montana began at 0500 hours Friday and by sunrise the Mule Deer were everywhere along I-90! A good crop of Mulies for the Deer opener in 2 weeks for sure. We arrived at our Antelope Hunting ranch at 6:00 PM and did an hours scouting before we turned in. We slept on the open prairie in the back of the truck. I wished I had brought my heavier sleeping bag as it got down to 22 degrees that night and snowed 2 inches! Its very tough to Hunt Antelope in an all white terrain! We spent all day Saturday scouting Varminting and waiting for the opener Sunday morning. A warm wind started about midday and melted all the snow. Thank you Hunting Gods! Literally hundreds of Mule Deer were observed feeding most all day after the storm. Also observed and Hunted were Badgers, Prairie Dogs, Coyotes, Foxes, Varmint birds of several types along with Sharptails, Sage Grouse and Pheasants! Wow what a wonderful day on the high plains! I only brought 2 Varminters a shotgun and my Antelope Rifle along on this venture as the truck could be left for long periods while Hunting and scouting - security concerns here. The Coyotes kept us awake all night Saturday night howling and carousing.
My partner Hunted north of our chosen parking spot and I Hunted south. I was sitting on a gumbo peak at legal Hunting time scanning for Game. I heard my partner shoot 3 times and I could see that he had scored on an Antelope even though he was at least 2 1/2 miles away. The morning sun at my back illuminated him and the herd of Antelope he was sneaking in on extremely well. The Antelope I had put to bed the night before had moved and were in the next drainage. I humped over after them. I came out of a dry coulee as close to the 5 buck herd as I was going to get. The sun was still just low in the sky behind me and I used the Leica 800 laser ranger to get a reading on the group of 388 yards. I got the Harris bi-pod into action from the prone position and referred to my drop chart. I put a bullet exactly where it was needed and the Antelope was down at the shot. I was pretty proud of that long range (zero wind!) shot. It pays to keep after the Varmints year round - at least it does help for me anyway, accuracy wise while under field conditions. Our return to the truck was darkened by a flat tire (sharp rock puncture). The tire was changed with no problem the worry is being 85 miles from nowhere and its Sunday and no tire repair shop available til Monday and lots of bad road between here and there! Our travels were successful though even with the worries of no spare tire we still enjoyed the trip back viewing more wildlife, including the beginning of the fantastic Sandhill Crane migration! This sight alone would be worth the trip to the plains of eastern Montana.
Anyway we just got home and took care of the meat and cleaned the rig. I thought I would check in with all the Varmint Forum folks and spread the word on our good luck.
Now to get these two new Varminters scoped and online ASAP. One Varminter is the new Remington Classic in 221 Fireball and it will have a Leupold 4X12 variable and the other Rifle is a Remington 700 VLS in 260 Remington. I will put a Leupold 6.5X20 variable on it. Both scopes are here waiting to go as soon as I get the rings mounted and lapped. Busy times here on the slopes of the Rockies! More later.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,
Sounds to me as though you had a Terrible Weekend [Big Grin]

Congratulations great start!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote