New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Prarie Dog Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just booked my first trip out west for Prarie Dogs!!I'll be going with my dad.While my dad and I have been hunting woodchucks around home since I was a kid,we've never shot 600-800 rounds for two days of hunting!That's what the outfitter claims.So I'm going to pack up my Ruger#1 in 220 Swift,Custom Contender in 6mm JDJ and lets see Either a Savage 12vss in 22-250{a little heavy) or a Savage 12fs in 22-250 with a Sharp Shooters custom trigger and stock.Anyone with any suggestions or tips for my first Prariedog shoot I'm all ears.Thanks!!

Posts: 112 | Location: Salisbury Mills,NY,USA | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SalG:
Just booked my first trip out west for Prarie Dogs!!I'll be going with my dad.While my dad and I have been hunting woodchucks around home since I was a kid,we've never shot 600-800 rounds for two days of hunting!That's what the outfitter claims.So I'm going to pack up my Ruger#1 in 220 Swift,Custom Contender in 6mm JDJ and lets see Either a Savage 12vss in 22-250{a little heavy) or a Savage 12fs in 22-250 with a Sharp Shooters custom trigger and stock.Anyone with any suggestions or tips for my first Prariedog shoot I'm all ears.Thanks!!

Be careful as we had had a pretty bad drought out east of I-25. Talk to some of his other clients that have gone this year and see what they say. Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who did you book with? I would like the # and for sure a report back on how it all went.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't worry too much about weight of your rifle as you should pretty much drive to your shooting site(s). The one thing I will warn you about is discipline of fire. With dogs running every where, you will be tempted to really lay down a field of fire. You can burn out that Swift on one hunt. Wait one minute (by a watch) between shots. That will seem like a lifetime but it will save your barrel. Also, about every 20-25 shots, I switch to another rifle for a while. Its gonna be interesting for you to go from chucks with maybe 10 shots a day to the possibility of several hundred. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bring sunscreen, a wide-brimmed hat, Chapstick, a shooting pad to lie down on, bipods, gun cleaning supplies, and plenty of ammunition.

Are you flying or driving?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also take some kind of protection from the sun for my ammunition, usually in the form of a small beverage cooler. This keeps the ammo temperature much more stable and consistent.

Lots of water to maintain hydration, avoid diuretics and caffeine.

Depending upon your shooting set-up, you might want to consider knee pads and elbows pads. This makes it a lot easier when shooting from ground positions. I use a mat as well, but elbow and knee protection is very nice if you're going to be in the prairie mixing it up with cactus and sharp rocks.

Good luck and have fun.

Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
watch out for rattlesnakes around P-dog towns.I used to run in to them regularly in Mt.They like to lay in the shade of the burrows,just inside.I've stepped over the hole and had them buzz.My old nickname was "Dances with Snakes"You'd be surprised how far you can jump carrying a 12 lb rifle.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful about where you are shooting them in Colo.

They USF&W classified blactail prairie dogs as a threatened species due to pressure from some idiots back in NY. The Colorado Div of Wildlife has basically shut down shooting them east of Interstate 25. You can shoot all the whitetail prairie dogs you want, but will have to go to the western slope to do it.

Some farmers and ranchers in eastern Colo are getting special permits to thin the dog towns down. If you don't get into one of these deals, it may turn into a very expensive trip if the game wardens get called. I saw a whole truckload of Denverites getting ticketed out by Sterling last July for shooting blacktail prairie dogs in an alfala field.

Check this carefully.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Luckyshot's request. I never have gone prairie dog hunting (only groundhog hunting back east) but have been getting a real urge to do so soon. Any research you have done on outfitter/location would help allot since I don't even know where to start.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input guys.I especially enjoyed the "idiot from New York" comment.Being from NY myself I can relate to that statement.We plan on flying to Colorado.We are going with Colorado Elite Outfitters.It is actually one of the Life Member Hunts for the North American Hunting Club.I figured if they endorse it thats good enough for me.The trip takes place in June.I'll make sure to take plenty of photos and pass them along.

Posts: 112 | Location: Salisbury Mills,NY,USA | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SALG

If you are hunting through Colorado Elite you will be shooting whitetail prairie dogs. The guy that owns that outfit is well known especially as a bow hunting guide. Takes some absolute monster elk every year. I beleive his name is Jay Verzuh or something like that. He is located around Grand Junction and the hunt will probably take place near Nucla Colo.

Didn't mean any offense with my comment about "idiots from NY", but the pressure to declare blacktail prairie dogs came from some group in NYC. I doubt if a single member of that group ever went west of the mighty Miss. Those of us out west get a little tired of a bunch of eastern clowns trying to run our way of life.

You should have a good hunt. Throw in some predator calls. Lots of coyotes out here and you can shoot them year round. All you need is a small game license which you will also need for the dog shoot.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<belle's dad>
posted
One thing I picked up for my first P-dog hunt was one of those large wheeled tool chests you can get at Sears. Make sure it is one that has one or two trays in it. This makes a great place to put all the shooting stuff you will need to take with you and is convient for airline travel make sure it will take a padlock as well. Second recomendation is to ship your ammo out there that way your not humping several hundred rounds. I also second the knee or elbow pads we were bench shooting and by the 3rd day I had rubbed my elbows raw. I've also heard recomendations to ship the guns out as well. That way you will know they made it plus airline bagage insurance is not adequate to compensate you for several lost rifles. Shipping via UPS you can pretty much insure for their real value. Other then that just have fun, my buddy and I went on our first one last year and have rescheduled for this year. We have officially been bitten by the bug.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only been shooting p'dogs for a couple of years but may I suggest taking at least one rimfire. While letting the CF's cool, it's fun to "walk around" and snipe them as they stick their heads up 50 - 100 yds away. My Volquarten 22 mag makes 200 yd shots possible from the bench or prone.

Posts: 116 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAC:
Be careful about where you are shooting them in Colo.

They USF&W classified blactail prairie dogs as a threatened species due to pressure from some idiots back in NY. The Colorado Div of Wildlife has basically shut down shooting them east of Interstate 25. You can shoot all the whitetail prairie dogs you want, but will have to go to the western slope to do it.

Some farmers and ranchers in eastern Colo are getting special permits to thin the dog towns down. If you don't get into one of these deals, it may turn into a very expensive trip if the game wardens get called. I saw a whole truckload of Denverites getting ticketed out by Sterling last July for shooting blacktail prairie dogs in an alfala field.

Check this carefully.

Mac

Mac,
[Mad] Stop spreading false info. The Blacktail is taken off Colorados game animal list. You can shoot PD's on private property. All you have to do is get the land ownners OK, you are now his Agent. No permits required. You can not shoot PD's on State or Fed. land anymore, that will cost you big time. Since the PD is no longer on the game animal list, you "technilly" dont need a lic to shoot PD's in CO which are now a non-game animal.
PD's on Alfalfa feilds in Logan County, they dont like irragation water that well.
The bunny huggers came up with about 5,000 Acares of PD's in CO. The DOW did a count on the 5 Northern Counties (Weld, Logan, Sedgwick, Philips, and Morgan??) 100,000 +++ acares in the Northern 1/3 of the state. This shows what money and a loud voice will do. The bunny huggers say that there is only 1% of the PD's natural habit from the 1800's. They think that you should protect them. They dont mention that this was back with the Buffalo.
I dont post very often just read and buy or sell stuff. I do think that what is posted should have some facts in it, It is kind of like the Urban ledgin stuff, if enough people read it and dont question it they start beliving it.
Your bigest factor in shooting PD's in CO is going to be the drought.
I can line most anybody up with land owners that would let a person "CONTROL" PD's. [Smile]

Posts: 52 | Location: TX | Registered: 10 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I live just north. I have been killing dog for about 6 or 7 years. We will go through 8 to 10 thousand rounds a year. take as many guns as you can. with the guns you have the barrels will get hot.unless you like buying barrels. the rimfire idea isn't a bad one.

Posts: 12 | Location: casper,wyo | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Like to know if anyone can help put me in contact with a couple of COLO landowners who would be willing to let my son & I hunt prarie dogs?

Posts: 1 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from eastern Colorado pd hunt with my son. We didn't keep track of confirmed kills but I can assure you it was significant. To shoot blacktailed pds in E. CO all you need is a small game license and a note from the private landowner declaring you an agent of the farm. Absolutely take bug spray as the biting black flies or mosquitoes will kill you. We took three guns including one rimfire and about 400 rounds total of CF ammo. Used every one and could have used much more. We have access to about 200 acres of prime pd property in the family and much more with permission. I would highly suggest taking a .22 LR pistol loaded with shot loads for snakes....they aren't the greatest but it beats a stick.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Whoooo. Just got back from a hunt on the Colorado plains. 100degrees in the shade! Even the dogs didn't like the heat. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote