New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEW ROUND!.....17 Mach 2
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hornady has developed a new round...the .17 Mach 2. It appears that they have simply necked down a slightly elongated .22 LR case down to .17 cal to shoot the .17 gr. V-MAx bullet like the HMR. The round should have a muzzle velocity of aprox. 2100 FPS. TC and Marlin have already made it public that they were going to chamber one of their rimfires in this round...the TC rifle is to be in a contender G2. Sounds interesting....looks like they are trying to make the most out of the .17HMR craze to me...i'll just keep my Ruger 77/22 mag with the 33 gr. V-maxes....Seems to me like the new .17HMR and the .22 mag 33 gr load fill close to the same niche. Just wanted to let yall in on the next craze. lol

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Check out www.rimfirecentral.com and you can read everything you want about it. It's the 17 vmax bullet at 2,100 fps, so it's a step slower than the 17HMR (2525 fps with the same bullet). Midway is taking orders for ammunition now, but it's not supposed to be available until late summer.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
sorry to say,
no matter what i'm a rimfire nut i plan on buying one maybe two, i just can't wait theres room left in the safe and my new one is on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wait maybe thats the advertising talking, i'm so confused!!

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered 20 boxes of 17HM2 from Midsouth. Made a few calls to find out when or if Kimber, Cooper,and Anschutz would be makeing rifles in the 17HM2 , but no info.yet, darn.

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have heard about the new .17HMR. I have also seen the ballistics for it. Talk about a flat shooter compaired to the .22LR.

I was wondering if it would work well for shooting praire dogs? I know that after about 30-35 yards, the .22 starts to drop, and drop quick. But will the .17 hold up aginst those strong gusts of wind in the flat, open plains?

Thanks_-_-_-_-_-YoungHunter21_-_-_-_-_-

Posts: 9 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At $.11 or so per shot no way will I buy one. It smells like another 5mm Remington. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote