THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    75 Grain Hornady HP experience in 223 for Prairie Dogs

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

75 Grain Hornady HP experience in 223 for Prairie Dogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just interested if any Prairie Dog shooters have any experience with the 75 gr Hornady HP, or their 75 grain AMax shooting Prairie Dogs?

I am shooting a Ruger bebarreled to a 1 in 8 twist.

I know from Target shooting at 600 yds, it turns a 223 into a different animal for long range. Wondering how it performs on impact of P Dogs, or if it is just hitting them and passing straight thru.

Thanks for those that respond! Appreciate your inputs.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I know the amax disembowels crows just fine, but that's from a cartridge with a few hundred fps more than a 223. I don't think I've ever shot a bullet that gives such an audible "Kugelslag" (bullet impact sound) as the 75 AMAX. I can hear 3 and 400 yard impacts through the plugs. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the A-Max on prairie carp (yet) but I can tell you they are quite frangible. In fact, nearly every bullet I've seen disintegrate in the last couple years (only a couple bullets, really) has been an A-Max from a fast-twist .223.

I tried a few on static media of one type or another and they seem to come apart quite readily. Seems to me it'd make a pretty good ratsmacker.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire:
I know from Target shooting at 600 yds, it turns a 223 into a different animal for long range.

That's the truth. Saturday I sent 25 out of 40 shots into the MR target's ten ring (12" dia.) at 500 yards from prone using iron sights (no bench, bipod, bags, etc.).

That's using Black Hills ammo loaded with the Hornady 75 gr HP match pill through the 20" 1 in 8 barrel of a Rock River NM AR-15.

[ 07-01-2003, 07:31: Message edited by: Orion 1 ]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
questions from a neophite reloader: what`s a good load for the hornady 75 grain moly-coated ? i`ll be shooting it in a 8 twist armalite ar-15 at 600 yards. thanks for any tips, guys.

Posts: 2 | Location: ohio | Registered: 22 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TenexTom:

MY powder of choice is out of an older manual but it works great and gives good velocity and great accuracy.

I shoot 28 grains of H380, in a 223 with 68 thru 80 grain bullets. Velocity is right at 3000 to 3050 depending on bullet weight.

H 380 is user friendly in the little opening in 22 caliber cases. It is very low pressure on anything below a 55 grain bullet. I also like it for the versatility of anything from 40 grain bullets to 75 grain bullets, with 28 grains of powder, velocity is only about 100 fps difference in the two extremes.

Good luck if you try it out.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote