New
Find
Notify
Tools

need tips on coyote
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Out of the goodness of my heart, I've recently decided to become the gardian of the many helpless wild turkeys and quail that reside peacefully on my hunting lease, (so that they may be more pleantiful to hunt) by taking up coyote hunting. I am new to coyote hunting and would like any tips and pointers for eradicating or at least trimming down their numbers giving my poor fowl friends an edge in their costant and tiring darwinian struggle. Could some of you more experienced varmit hunters please share with me the best time of day and year, type of call, and just general advice for the varmit beginner. I'm using a 25'06, and can hunt over a large field or in thick brush.

thanks. Jeff

Posts: 35 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
404Rodda: I always recommend the Primos Raspy Coaxer call ($9.00 or so) for my friends who are new and just getting into Coyote Calling!
By coincidence I was down in Texas for the first time just 2 months ago. I was archery Hunting Russian Boar near Decatur, Texas. I was Hunting from three stands most of the time but one day I was in a ground blind. On this morning I saw a Coyote Hunting out in a large field about 300 yards distant. I used my Primos Raspy Caoxer to bring that Coyote within 60 yards quite quickly. Alas that Coyote did not come any closer. Anyway I know this call works well in Idaho, Montana (where I live), Washington, Oregon and Wyoming in addition to Texas!
Hunt into the wind, stay still, call for 15 to 20 minutes at a site, calling every two minutes for 20 seconds at a time. Start squealing quitely (as the Coyotes may be close) then increase the squeals volumes - and keep after them! They are out there as you well know. Do not be discouraged if Coyotes are not called in at every stand. I get about one in five for day Hunting and one in three for night calling.
Good luck and more later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Try this link for info

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Good advice above. The point made that they do not respond to calls most of the time means, to me, that coyotes are just not there at that moment.

I hunt on the same farm much of the time and I see the sign and the coyotes when they are there. They seem to come for a few weeks and then move on for a month or more.

This same farm always has plenty of deer and turkeys but no rabbits, quail, woodchucks or grouse. Some of the shortage of game may be due to overhunting also. Nobody here seems very interested in turkey hunting.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just keep after them and don't let a few dry stands stop you! If night hunting is legal where you are, get a partner and go after them at night as that is always the most fun for me. In heavy brush you will find that one fella with a rifle and one with a shotgun is an awful good mix. You can do it alone if the stand is n't to far from your vehicle but the vehicle has to be hidden. I have also had alot of luck calling from the edge of river bluffs and your 25-06 could reach out and touch em too but again be ready to spin around with that shotgun.

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Would you recommend morning, evening or night hunting. Night hunting is legal in TX for coyote. I'm going to by a primos raspy coaxer today!

Posts: 35 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Need tips....25-06......sounds like 85 grain nosler ballistic's to me Big Grin

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Night hunting all the way - what a riot - go out with a good friend and enjoy the night - if you can get out at dusk they are really active, hunt till about 11pm and take a 2 or 3 hour nap then hit agian right through the dawn - you will really knock em down. Can you shoot from the back of a truck in Texas?

Stand in the back of the truck, be quiet and start call. Wait about 5 minutes. Pan the light with the main beam just above the horizon moving slowly and steady around 360 degrees. If they are there you will see glowing eyes just keep moving slowly. Tell your partner approx where it is and start the light to one side again above the horizon and pan across the eyes again. Ready, set, light em up and your partner gets about 5 seconds to identify the critter and pull the trigger.

Don't give up day hunting though!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks JeffMC. I'll let you know how it goes!!