Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for new XR-100
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy guys.

I just bought a new Remington XR-100 in 22-250.
Want to get into some varmint shooting (p-dogs mostly) and I also like to shoot paper.
If this was your gun, what glass would you put on it, and why?
Looking forward to reading your replys. Smiler

Matt
NRA Life Member
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill

Posts: 47 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just gotton a leupold 8.5-25x50 VX 111 with the Varmint reticle and it is an awsome scope !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I recently bought a Sauer 202 in 22-250, and I scoped it with a Zeiss Conquest in 6.5-20x50 and I love it. I think something must be wrong with this gun, the groups I am getting at 100 & 200 are phenomenal, I didn't think I could shoot that well!

I think that the extra power will be good for varminting, I am going to see what I can do at 300 and 600 yards next weekend, I know I can be very precise at 200 with the extra magnification. I am really liking this caliber.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a vote for a NIKON MONARCH 6.5-20. After 2 years so far on a 25-06 Sendero, a 6mmVLS and for the last year on a .204VLP, dialing up and down a bunch, it has been right on. The optics are sharp and the scope is a bit less money than the other two mentioned. I like the Leupold 6.5-20's I've had also but didn't see the difference in them and the Nikons other than the initial cost. I also use a couple of the 6-18 Nikon Buckmasters and they have so far ferformed flawlessly and one of them is on a 300SAUM Sendero. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions gents. Cool

GHD, I have been a Leupold fan for a long time, but after reading your post and doing some research, I'm going to give the Nikon a whirl.
Looks like a great piece of glass for the money. thumb

Matt
NRA Life Member
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature, who has no chance at being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt_G: Best of luck to you with the new XR-100!
I just love mine!
Mine is in caliber 204 Ruger and I chose to remount an older (4 years) Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scope on it!
It is a fine combo.
I brought this Rifle online in May of this year and its a death ray on Varmints of all types.
I am more of a Varminter than a paper puncher and once I get a Varmint Rifle set up with accurate handloads and sighted in correctly I rarely ever punch paper again with it unless I am verifying zero! On rare occassion I will decide to try another Varmint bullet in said Rifle and that of course gets me back to the range for a few days with it!
I would go with at least 20 power on the top end if choosing a variable and I am pretty sure with one of the higher powered (24x or 25x variables) your five shot groups on paper will average about .05" to .08" smaller when using the 25's over the 24's. I have experienced this diminishment of groups sizes over the decades when I have upgraded (increased the top end power) of my scopes on particular Rifles.
That amount does not sound like much but I highly recommend you shell out the extra bucks for the 4 or 5 extra powers on the scope you choose. It will come in handy at the range and in the Prairie Dog Towns!
Again good luck with the new rig and be sure and let us know how it shoots for you!
Oh by the way in addition to three 8.5x25x40mm Leupolds I have two Sightron 6x24x42mm variables. These Sightrons are fine scopes in the field and from the bench and have worked well for me. I have bought both of them used for good prices and feel they were worth the money. They do tend to darken up slightly at 21 through 24 powers but nothing that diminishes their effectiveness in the field or at the range.
I have a really wonderful new Nikon 6.5x20 scope on another of my 204's and it is also a wonderful scope and investment!
Many of my friends use the high powered Bausch & Lomb variables but I have not owned one recently.
I have a hoarde of Leupold 6.5x20's on Varmint Rifles and it is a wonderful all around (all around Varminting!) scope in my estimation.
Your Rifle with that wonderful trigger and its accuracy potential can make good use of 20, 24 or 25 power - easily!
Again Good Luck!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

What base and rings did you use on your XR-100?

Matt
NRA Life Member
John Stuart Mill

one of us
posted Hide Post
MattG: Beleive it or not - I use the Leupold one piece Remington 700 bases and the medium Leupold rings. The one piece Remington 700 base fits the XR-100 perfectly and the finish (matte) matches the XR-100 very nicely! I can't remember all the particulars but the XR-100 (and the XP-100 base and Remington 600 bases as well) bases were not provided as yet in matte finish (by Leupold). So on a whim I tried the Remington 700 one piece and it matched up perfectly!
Again best of luck with your XR-100!
I have some good 22-250 loads in case you don't have any. Let me know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't put any Nikon scopes on any of my rigs yet, but i handled one awhile ago, and was very impressed with the turret system-- very positive click adjustments. I must admit i really liked what i saw. Hear they hav a mil-dot scope with 1/2 mil line stadia. Is that true??

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Matt_G I would go with the Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scope the only problem is they are hard to find in 40mm. A friend of mine bought one at a gun show and I talked him out of for a measly $520.00 (the amount he paid for it knowing I didn't have the money at the time) now all I need is a Remington 40x 223 to put it on.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag: I actually saw a Remington 40XB-KS in caliber 223 Remington at Kesselrings Gun Shop (NW Washington State) early this spring!
The reason I did not buy it was that it had a special twist barrel (factory barrel 27 1/4" long marked special twist 1 in ?" - I forget now what the twist rate was).
They may have it still and I will attempt to link the Kesselring web site for you to inquire at online if interested in doing it that way.
Their phone number is 1-360-724-3113.

Kesselrings: http://www.kesselrings.com/

Good luck! I have bought several Remington 40X's from them! They are good people and Varmint Hunters themselves if you call them I would ask for Jim Garner - tell him Dale Gibbons of Dillon, Montana refered you!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy