New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local Cat Shot With Arrow
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Poor shots like this give us hunters a bad name!
http://www.nbc4columbus.com/news/2272946/detail.html [Wink]

Posts: 117 | Location: Newark, Oh, USA | Registered: 14 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A responsible hunter kills cleanly and tracks down wounded game.

Which begs the next question: How much is enoug arrow for cats?

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well said, 120MM. Some people hunt but forget or never had the moral obligations of hunting explained to them. To the former group, shame on you! To the latter group, shame on you too!

Rick

Posts: 159 | Location: Watkins Glen, NY, USA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must have been one H_ll of a big house cat.

The 6-year-old gray tabby cat received intense medical care from the Humane Society's veterinary clinic. The cat is now healthy and ready for adoption.
" The arrow was embedded nearly 8 inches into the cat's shoulder and muscle tissue" Humane Society Executive Director Dan Knapp said. "Fortunately, it did not pierce any vital organs,

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
I have a fishing arrow with 120lbs test line...they don't get away.

Thats why they call it catfishing.

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urdubob:
. . . Thats why they call it catfishing.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Glad I had chewed my taco thoroughly prior to ejecting it through my nose. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every year I see a news broadcast that shows a duck or goose at a local park that has been shot by an arrow and is swimming around the pond with the arrow sticking out of it,I was raised to respect wild life and only take clean shots,I can see someone being angry at a cat for various reasons but by all means take your time and make the shot count,articles like that make us look bad,and before you know it they will be putting some type of identification on arrows so they know who the culprit is.

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
There was a Black Bear spotted in my area with and arrow in his rump a few months back.
I have no issue with hunting, but, I wish a slow and painful one on people who deliberately wound animals for a few seconds of amusement.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My Greyhound would definitely take issue with all that. I had a cat underneath the crossmember under the bed of my truck a short while ago. A bud of mine squirted water at the thing to get it out so we could go. What he forgot was my Greyhound was roaming around the driveway. The cat got about 20 feet before the Grey caught it and literally shook and mauled the life out of it. The whole incident from start to finish was maybe 3 seconds. But, it was an amazingly clean kill. [Wink]

Cats belong indoors. Greyhounds are for outside!

WYK
Round Rock, TX

Posts: 3 | Location: Round Rock, TX | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
urdubob, we could be great friends! [Wink]

[ 06-19-2003, 04:00: Message edited by: DigitalDan ]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Abortion is legal, but they are going to pay $1000 dollars for whoever shot that cat?

You know, that arrow probably got 98% of that cat's nine lives. An arrow out of a nerf gun should drop that thing now.... [Wink]

Posts: 14 | Location: Northeastern Oklahoma | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The simple solution to this problem is restriction and registration of all arrows.....

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that had a rather large, but friendly and gentle german shorthair. One day the neighbors cat found it's way into the yard and Fritz wanted to play. Well, the cat freaked out and jumped up on the picnic table. Fritz ambled over, wagging his stub, and sniffed at the cat. The cat evidentily didn't enjoy Fritz' nose in it's face so it clawed him pretty good. Fritz wimpered away for a minute, then backed up, got up a good run, and dove OVER the picnic table, snatching the cat by the shoulders while in flight. As soon as he hit the ground, he threw the cat up in the air, and caught him on the way dow like a ball, and you coule hear the crunching of bones. Another quick shake and it was over.
Like in Wes' story the whole incident on took about 5 or 6 seconds.

Posts: 1974 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLC,

Not that I would wish that sort torture on any animal, I can't help but wish that the morons would have tried that same trick with a Grizzly.

Posts: 117 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
By golly, I'm going to Ohio and go cat hunting:
quote:
" The arrow was embedded nearly 8 inches into the cat's shoulder and muscle tissue" Humane Society Executive Director Dan Knapp said. "Fortunately, it did not pierce any vital organs,
Eight inches of cat through the sholuders! Boy, they don't get that big here in Georgia. Anyone know any outfitter that works the Ohio cat circuit? [Roll Eyes]
Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
should have used a good broadhead!

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arrows kill cats and only outlaw cat killers will have arrows. Outlaw arrows....

Personally I'd have used my 50 3 1/4 sharps...or 600 nitro express for a one shot "cat kill"...Cat guts into the next county...hopefully on a PETA exec's head...

Posts: 45 | Location: Chattanooga, TN USA | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should have used arrows like my Mechanical Drawing Teacher devised for such game; A 30-06 case inverted over a cedar arrow shaft shot from 70lb recurve! Man did they THUMP! [Eek!] [Cool]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are non hunters who occasionally view these threads. I'm sure we haven't made any friends in the handling of this topic. That animal may well have been a child's pet. These type topics do us more harm than imaginable. I see no humor in this. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite stories along these "catkiller" lines was told me by a Greyhound trainer over 30 years ago when I was working at the track.

In 1945 a trainer had a really good dog entered in the Irish-American Stakes. He thought he would "shake him up" a little and get him some jack rabbits to kill. Well he tried to get some from Kansas but WWII was on and no jacks could be shipped. Next best thing-Tomcat. Well he trapped an old tom in Miami and put him in a box in front of the starting box. He threw the box and opened the gate and both animals ran-but the cat ran at the dog-right at his face. He attached himself to the dogs head and chewed until the trainer kicked them apart. The cat disappeared. The greyhound died as a result of infection from the bite wounds. It was in the days before antibiotics.
There is a moral there-on several levels depending on your point of view.

I can add one bit of advice and that is "Never let a cat bite you". Hold on and let him scratch until done but if you want to keep your hand keep it out of his mouth.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems pretty uncool to shoot someone's pet without being provoked. I seriously doubt the cat was posing any threat to anyone. It's a felony crime in my state too.

One of my neigbors has a Chesapeake Retreaver that is supposed to be of "champion" bloodline. This dog is very agressive and has tried to bite me a couple of times and showed his teeth to my wife before too (in our yard). I've been patient, but if he tries to bite me again, he'll have something more potent than an arrow shot at him [Mad]

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote