New
Find
Notify
Tools

the new mini 14
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
according to what i read in the gun rag ruger is finally coming out with a mini 14/30 with a decent barrel. it's supposed to be hitting the shelves now and grouping around 1" - IF so, they will sell some. (maybe even to me)but I gotta see it 1st

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'd pick up another one myself if I knew it was a shooter.

The first mini I bought grouped about 5" at 100 yards. If I knew then what I know now I may have been able to shrink the pattern down a bunch, but I didn't. I have a pretty good one now. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
according to what i read in the gun rag ruger is finally coming out with a mini 14/30 with a decent barrel. it's supposed to be hitting the shelves now and grouping around 1" - IF so, they will sell some. (maybe even to me)but I gotta see it 1st

Me too, provided I knew it would stay under 1 1/2" at 100 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That wouldn't be too bad. I think that there is a gunsmith somewhere rebarelling Mini-14s that makes a MOA promise, but I cannot think of the name. A friend of mine was looking into getting one

Posts: 86 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 17 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless model that is as reliable as hell , but.... it sprays a pattern the size of a paper plate at 100 yards even with hand loads. Eeker

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3074 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a rancher mini 14, it groups around 5 in also.
The gunsmith is in Texas. He puts in a new barrel man guarantees MOA. A friend of mine had his rebarreled by him and was happy with the results

Posts: 18 | Location: centeral US | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
You guys that have a really bad shooter have a couple things you can do. Loosen the gas block and retighten evenly! Most are on crooked, and torqued unevenly.
I also reworked the trigger. The bearing sear had to be squared up and polished. I lightened the pull by polishing the pin, hole, and stoning the sear. I also took off a bit to eliminate creap as much as possible. Mine breaks at just a smidge over 2 1/2 lbs. with little creap. (after take-up) I have not bedded mine but if you follow the same procedure for the mini as you would for an M1A1, it supposedly helps as well. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/mini_14_30_accessories.html

Here is a good website for the mini 14.

buck

Posts: 109 | Location: MS | Registered: 25 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year Ruger changed the design and manufacturing methods of their Mini-14, according to the website. The question should be - is the new version better ? Why should I have to rebarrel and do other mods to get decent accuracy ?

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Had two Mini-14s, a Ranch Rifle which I sold, and a G model in stainless with folding stock, which will not be sold. The stainless G model shot better with iron sights than the Ranch Rifle with a 3-9x scope! Sure hope they did something with the new ones.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote