New
Find
Notify
Tools

old school varmint rigs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

'56 mod 70 Varminter in .220 swift,it has shot .25" with pet factory ammo,great long range hammer.
'57 twin sister in .243 just as accurate with 70 BT's, shoots the 95 gr SST Whitetail loads great as well,Bean Patch shoot em in the ear rig!!

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Were those pre 64 M70's rebarreled? The barrels look heavy.
I was shooting my Winchester M43 in .218 Bee yesterday---when I do my stuff it will shoot well under an inch at 100 yds. (3 shot groups).

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hipshot, They are factory, in 53 winchester came out with the 'Varminter' .220 Swift and the .243 win later, They made 990 in swift and 2000 + in .243 win. My favorite gun and the gun I have taken the most game ever is a mod 43 in .218bee, It was my truck gun on a large cattle ranch,Plantation I ran in the 80's. Im still shooting super X yellow box ammo and have saved all brass. One Day I will re chamber a mod 70 in hornet to a bee.

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Nice riles. Smiler

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1878 sharps borchert w/10x untertl vulture

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Were those pre 64 M70's rebarreled? The barrels look heavy.
I was shooting my Winchester M43 in .218 Bee yesterday---when I do my stuff it will shoot well under an inch at 100 yds. (3 shot groups).

Hip
Hipshot, You being a mod 43 lover, you will love this late S# 43 in .22hornet I found at a Shriner s Gun show. NIB in early 90's. It shoots great but the 218bee is my babydoll as it has mercy killed many cancer eyed hereford cattle, coons ,rattlesnakes, beaver,otter,gators,turkeys you name it !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
1878 sharps borchert w/10x untertl vulture
FANTASTIC, A+++++, Ill bet it shoots just as good as it looks..

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Done in on a freezing sundown whitetail hunt in 90's. 220 swift Norma 50gr SPSP's beautiful big male that was really furred out for S GA, we had unusually cold weather before Christmas and the critters put on new,heavy coats.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Martini 225 Win/Weaver T-10 that never shot great with it's BEAUTIFUL Fajen stock. in my younger BA days (so i thought)--

Factory 7BR XP-100/Bushnell Banner 4-12x for prairie dogs...that day--

Eddystone 25-06/Unertl 15x Ultra Varmint or 20x 2" (can't remember). Look at the hole at the bottom of the fence post where somebody'd missed this hog before--

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 great photos SScoyote, keep em coming. Did you trade the .225 win off? I can usually tell after 5-6 different loads if a new gun is a hummer shooter, gonna be picky or gotta go no matter how pretty!!! I usually mount 36X glass gather up all the loads I can and catch the conditions right for testing. Ive been REAL lucky only had to trade, sell 4 or 5 guns off and the were OK shooters but not super accurate. One I had to send off for a re barrel and its now in my top 5 shooters.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
don's guns in victoria, tx has 1 of the heavy bbl'd .243's..... its gorgeous.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2840 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah WP--it's gone--can't even remember where now, been so long. Probably shoulda' kept it and put a 17 barrel on it...or something. It was the prettiest gun i ever had, i think.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought those were the latest thing. Am I thoat out of date? Lovely stuff!

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester poor,
My M43 doesn't look nearly as good as yours! I bought mine used, it had a few dings in the stock and some water damage to the butt. It shoots good though using IMR 4227. It also shoots my light load----46 gr. Win. HP over 4.3 gr. Unique----sub 1/2 " at 50 yds. vel. about 1800 fps.
I started out years ago shooting woodchucks with a Pre 64 M70 standard .270 Win. with 90 gr. hollowpoints. I also hunt deer and up with a Pre featherweight in 30-06 and deer with a Pre M94 .30-30.

LOVE THOSE OLD WINCHESTERS !!!

Hip

Posts: 1881 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hipshot, The hornet is almost to nice to enjoy but you should see my .218bee, it must have a half million miles on it ,jeeps,3/4 ton pick up trucks and most in pastures and dirt roads. It rested between the pass seat so long the outside of the barrel muzzle is worn in a pattern. The thing about these old Winchester is they plain out shoot! I'm sure some bad barrels got out of the factory but Ive never had one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a post 64 Win. M70 also and the only negative thing I can say about them is the barrels grab a lot of copper fouling----still very accurate though ! Big Grin

Hip