New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newcomer to Sport Going to SD
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm posting this for a friend who has been telling me for a year he should sign up here but just can't come up with a name. I refer to him as the "Case Slut" as he spends an inordinate time at the range each session looking for spent cases... [Big Grin]

Anyway, he's off to Sioux City, Iowa in early August for a weeklong family visit and after about 24 hours of that he'll be stir crazy and looking to go west for some pdog shooting. It's a bit of a last minute trip for him and it's also a FIRST trip for him. I'm unable to go so he's on his own.

He's been emailing some cattle ranches and some of the varmint org/magazines have suggested contacting Indian Reservations.

I'm curious if anyone at this site could provide any thoughts, etc., on how best he go about obtaining some good/any shooting???

At some point I'll let him know about this thread. My thanks to all in advance for any help/info.

Thanks,

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reed:

Having been thru there a million times, I can offer only the following observation;

Two guys were in the Navy for 6 yrs together. Serving on submarines they spent a lot of isolated time together.

Anyways after getting out of the Navy, one went home to South Dakota and the other went home to San Francisco. They corresponded with each other for a couple of years, always swearing to get together again and talk about NAVY days.

Well the one in San Francisco got laid off of his job, so since he had the time decided to call his old buddy in South Dakota. He told him he was coming out for a trip and to pick him up at the Sioux Falls Airport.

Sure enough his friend meets him at the airport.
They stop and get something to eat before the 3 hour drive out to the family ranch. After a couple of hours talking about old times, the conversation finally runs out of steam.

So they are driving along in Silence until the SD guy slams on the brakes [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Razz] of his pick up and bails out of the door as soon as the truck stops.

His friend gets out on the other side and low and behold he sees his friend on his knees naked behind a sheep whose head is stuck in a barbed wire fence, and his hips are rocking back and forth.

The South Dakota guy looks back at his friend from San Francisco and shouts " don't you want some of this??"

"Boy do I" the San Francisco guy shouts back.

So he strips off all of his clothes and runs out and puts his head in the barb wire fence.

Hope you guys have fun in South Dakota. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Razz] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
US guys in SD have fun.

We don't use sheep (unless we live in Newell)

We DO use prairie dogs.

As intended.

As targets.

What do you use in Oregon, moldy mice ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Reed,

Sorry I don't have any pdog info for you, I'm focused on the noble Indiana groundhog. [Big Grin]

A friendly suggestion? ... assuming you are unaware of GGVG, you might try posting these Q's over at the Go Go Varmint Go Forum, as well.

Based on a expanded string format that's not seen much on Internet BB's anymore - the GGVG Forum, besides having the coolest name, is blessed with a large, diverse, active and experienced group of guys. Rarely are they stumped.

Giant, though it is, (40 Gig's a month bandwidth usage!) tenure and clique-ishness isn't flaunted as much there as on some other Talk Boards that are also populated with a lot of very long term members.

They've answered similar pdog questions to yours many times. There's even some really stand up folk there that have offered to meet in person with cyber strangers and guide a pdog or ghog hunt. A great bunch of shooters - hunters - people. [Smile]

WOW. How's that for a plug?

Onward ...

I do have something to offer in this wordy post (besides the GGVG heads up.)

Here's a couple kudos fer ya ----

For helping your bud out. Hope you get to go with him on the next dog-busting trip!

Aaaand ... from a guy who chose "The Birth Controller" as a handle - I find your suggestion of "Case Slut" (LOL) to be apropos and humorous. [Big Grin]

Plenty good enough to prompt your "handle challenged" pal to come visit with us and participate in the gun talk fun!

Warn him that Mr. Verbose (me - ha ha!) may occassionally try and talk his head off. [Cool] I'm a self-proclaimed free-lance writer that loves to communicate and blab anything guns - learn what I can, help where I can. I enjoy it.

So where did "The Birth Controller" moniker come from, you might ask?

It was painted on a VietNam-era howitzer's barrel.

Yep. I appreciate dark humor. [Razz]

Thanks for reading!

TBC

one of us
posted Hide Post
First, I'm from Kansas originally and we shoot those guys with their head's in the fence...and the other guy had better step carefully...

Second, thanks for the replies and I will be directing him to this thread and the other site(s) upon his return to his computer Monday. I'm sure he'll get quite a kick out of this information.

I should probably keep his identity a secret in case he ever does start posting...after such an auspicious introduction anyway.

Thanks to all.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
I asked some questions about how to find PD's in S.D. and the sum of it is to ask the folks who are at grain elevators if they know who has a PD problem. They seem to be West of the Missouri.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just thought it would be a good place to put the joke the way I had originally heard it.

I have seen quite a few Prairie Dogs in the Badlands going thru South Dakota. North of Valentine Neb, near Wall Drug in Wall SD, west of Pierre or old US 14 noticed them in the past.

West of Pierre and East of Rapid City I have seen them in lots of places, on my many drives thru So Dakota.

Oh In Eastern Oregon, I am sure they use sheep ove that way too. In the town I live in, it is just ugly women, or stoned 55 yr old hippie broads. [Eek!] [Confused] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote