THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Best Varmint caliber? Does one actually exist?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Varmint caliber? Does one actually exist?
 Login/Join

<Embalmer>
posted
Why avoid right bolt left port?

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 22-250 Rem./ Savage makes some really nice rifles at a good price so I would go with a Savage Model 11 in 22-250.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll cast my vote for the 22-250, out of the one's listed.

I've had two .220 Swifts and love them both. I ran 52 gr sierras at 4200 fps out of both with no problems. They would dispatch coyotes at 400 yards if I had a decent rest.

I currently do all my varmint hunting with a .223 AR-15. I shot on a P-dawg town in SD last summer, and made 8 consecutive kills at around 500 yards, after a couple of shots to determine drop and wind.

I know this is rather academic, but bullet trajectory is determined almost entirely by velocity, and wind-drift by velocity and Ballistic Coefficient. My experience has shown that the 22-250 will be "flatter" than the .243. FWIW.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry Embalmer - I didn't read your reply until just now. The right bolt - Left port means the loading port is on the left side of the rifle. This is on the off side to a left handed shooter. This means that you will have to either feel around blind or move your head to the other side of the rifle. NOT GOOD. With the port on the right side it is on the same side as you are in relation to the gun. You Just reach over and lift the action with your left thumb. and can see to load single rounds into the port. This particularly applies if you are shooting from a bench or supported steady field rest or prone with a bipod. For us lefties shooting from a supported position the Left Bolt Right Port is the best. This is usually abreviated as LBRP. Right Bolt Left Port is RBLP. Or kiss of death on that rifle for me.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have fun Get all three. Find out for your self.

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's just my own opinion, but I might be inclined to stay away from the .223 and .243 WSSM's until we know more about them. I recently read, and it's been confirmed by Browning that they are chrome lining their barrels on these two calibers. The only reason I can see for chrome lining a barrel is heat dissipation. None of our more standard calibers seem to require this treatment. My heavens, what is the projected life of the barrel that they're resorting to this? It honestly scares me a bit. I can imagine a barrel with a life expectancy of 700 or 800 rounds.
Not for me, Charlie. I'm putting the wallet away for awhile. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're adamant about choosing between the three, go with the .22-250. It will cleanly dispatch anything smaller than deer sized game with no problem, and has great range. The 6.5's are a little much for a varmints, and the .243 has it's own drawbacks. Although a very fine cartridge, it is tough on barrel throats and can be very finicky to load for. And for targets smaller than coyotes, it has too much recoil to call your own misses. The .22-250 is very versatile, and can be extremely accurate. The biggest drawback to the .22-250 is apparent in a prairie dog town. It's too much of a good thing. The .223 is better for extended shooting strings in a busy dog town, and recoils significantly less when trying to maintain sight picture. It would be hard not to like the .22-250.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I've used everything from a .222 to a .300 Win Mag for varminting......was building a .50 BMG too!!

I truly believe I've had my best success with a heavy barreled .243 super rock chucker. However I think range is the key word. Out to 250 yards I believe the .223 is the king, Add a hundred yards and the 6MM are the best, and past that I like the .25-06

I'll never disagree with the votes for the .22-250 because it's one of the greatest varmint calibers of all time. (have you noticed there's been no votes for the .220 Swift?)

If I was restricted to two guns for varminting it would be the .223 and the .25-06. If I was allowed only one.....it's the .243.

Happy varminting!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
Well just to let everyone know. I finally made the purchase. It is a TC Encore in 22-250 Hbar for now. With a 223WSSM to come in the future. The only reason I did not go with the new 223WSSM at this point is becuase the lack of availability of loading info and componants. Plus I like Forester dies and they do not have a die set out for it yet. So once the make the set I will; probably get the 223WSSM.

Plus in doing some research it looks like the 223WSSM is going to be another barrel burner. From one manufacturers testing after only 350 rounds the barrel was already showing considerable wear.