THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    calling scope choice??? searches have me confused

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

calling scope choice??? searches have me confused
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have run several searches looking for different key words on this site regarding good scope choices for calling fox and coyotes. There is a definite trend I found for folks loving the 4.5-14 Leupold. That kinda screws me. Cool

I have a custom .223 built on an old Kimber of Oregon M84 action that i plan to use. We will be calling in northern MN, where much of the terrain is pretty heavily wooded. BUT...we will be setting up on several farms where you can see for a long way. I have a 1" tube VX-III 8.5-25 and a VX-II 3-9 sitting in my safe and I am having a hard time picking one. To make matters worse, it seems the scope of choice for this application is right in the middle of the 2 I can use. Right now a new scope is absolutely not an option. Unless someone wants to work out a trade Confused

So...which one to use? Part of my logic says that I really love magnification. I use a 6.5-20 for squirrel hunting, and have used the 8.2-25 in that role for years. I also know I shoot a lot better with higher magnification, especially on running game. I used to hunt deer with dogs and found that 8x was right for most of my shots. I tend to get a little (OK, a LOT! rotflmo) excited when hunting, and a large field of view just gives too much visual information and I tend to miss more. Plus I like to see stuff smiling at me when I shoot them. I used to shoot sihlouetts and have a lot of experience shooting offhand with scopes up to 36x.

I am brand new at this, and have this nagging idea in the back of my mind that I will regret having 8.5 as my lowest setting if a red pops out right in front of me. The 3-9 seems the better choice for me at the moment.

Any ideas?

BTW-read a lot of good info here in my searches today. I had never visited this forum, but will start to do so.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michigan votes for 3-9x. Big Grin

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
For me it seems like every scope I have is set somewhere around 10X or as high as it can go if it is a "lower" power. I think it is what you are used to using, I used to have a fixed 1ox on my "carry" 223 and never felt that I couldn't shoot the close stuff- sure it might be a little fuzzy looking do to not refoucusing, but it never seemed to prevent getting the shot off. On of the most successfull callers I know has his 6.5x20 on 20x all the time. I am strugling with a similar issue with my new 6x47(rem) and I think the 6-24x B&L 4200 is beating out the 3-10x Burris Euro, but then????

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find a 3 x9 plenty for coyote sized animals out to 300 yds with no need to compensate or do without...

A good Leupold.. I'd be focusing more on the type of reticle than the scope power...

I have a 3 x 9 Leupold with a target dot that is handy in snow, and also one with a heavy German Number One reticle that is pretty handy in both snow and deep heavy brush....

you need something that is going to allow and aid in quick target acquisition and yet give you a large field of view, without sacrificing for close up....

you want beyond 300 yds, consider a mil dot reticle...

give up field of view and the Bushnell Firefly reticle is a dandy in the powers it is available in.. I have a 5 x 15, but that is too much power for that reticle...

A good old illuminated dot reticle is pretty handy in snowy and wooded environments also...

I can't see the need for any thing over 4.5 x 14... Duane in No Dakota might have a use, but then, that is North Dakota.. where the state tree is the phone pole...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I have always used a 3-9x40/42 on all of my calling rifles. I have never had a problem getting on my target. Hopefully, I am good a good enough caller to get them inside 200 yards, much less 300 yards.

Good Hunting,

Bob

This is a grey fox I called last weekend in west Texas.......3-9x42 Sightron SII.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also agree with using your 3-9 for calling as well.

I have a 5.5 by 22 Night force on most of my guns for coyote, however I rarely have them set above 5.5 when calling.

I use the higher mag only when I glass out longer range (see a couple of miles).

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Hi Marc,

nice to hear from you again...

I use my 3-12x50 Swaro for foxes too: It´s soo versatile so I guess I don´t need any other scope on my guns... And the picture it offers is brilliant at all...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I find myself with mine set at 6x most of the time. I have a 4-12x on my .22-250, 3-9x on a .257 Roberts using 75gr hp, 4x fixed on a mini-14, and a 4.5-14 Leupold on a .25-06. I like having more magnification available for those longer range rifles but when setting up you'd peek over my shoulder and see variables are set on 6x.

Truthfully, a clear sight picture is by far more important.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't think u could find a better scope than that VX-II u got there. Hurry up and send it in for a reticle change to the LR Duplex ballistic reticle Leup. offers for that model. Establish a LR shooting system with the reticle (both horizontal and vertical trajectory), get a laser and cheap wind meter...then study reading wind and applying the reticle for longer range shooting and practice, practice, practice for those occasional long shots you'll get on those open farms.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lt is hard to beat a 4-12 with A O for anything.
Jon D.

Posts: 43 | Location: Hornell N.Y. | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In fairly heavy brush I've gone to using a red dot sight that in 1 moa. This is on a 223 and since I don't have to worry about any sort of drop at these distances it works just fine for me. I do carry a pair of binoculars to help out if I need it.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i've got a 3x9x40 weaver wideview on a .225 that i paln to use for small stuff... if i had a 4x12 that would be ok too....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2840 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mc
go with your 3x9, then go shoot your combo at 200 300 400 yards. trust your eyes and that new tube. regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4-12 Leupold on all of my numerous calling rifles

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My main calling gun has a 3x9Vari-X II. I do not feel under scoped with a 3x9 for calling. I hunt at night mostly, I have never cranked mine up when calling, stays right on 3x, even in the morings and early evenings. I would not go more than 4x at my bottom end on a dedicated calling rifle, just my opinion. I hunt hilly rough fields and heavy timber. Once you start getting over 10-12 power, parellex adjustments start kicking in, so that would be another adjustment, that probably will not be made with getting busted.

How about puttin quick relase rings on the rifle and use both, one for calling one for targets and longer range work on other vermin.

One of Us
Picture of Down south
posted Hide Post
I'm using a 50MM 4.5-14 Leupold W/AO. Smaller would be fine though. I just happened to have the scope. I'm using my .257 Weatherby for my Yoddie gun.

Posts: 64 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GOod idea bout using QD rings, but I already put the 8.5-25 on a different .22. I have shot oodles of squirrels and birds with that scope mounted on different .22s.

Ordered a bushing for my Redding .223 dies and will load some ammo this week. Hope to pop a couple of crows before bear season opens next Saturday!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Go for the 3-9 VXII scope.

Will be the best.

Gerhard

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,
I guess I'm one of the 4.5-14 guys, that's what I have on my main calling rifle which is a 22/250 Kimber. Though it is my preference your 3-9 VX11 is a great calling scope. I used scopes in that power range alot. I've also done the heavy barrel, 20-24 power variable route, and really found that sporter weight rifles kill more 'yotes for me than big clumsy rifles. Getting the light rifles to shoot like the heavies isn't always easy, but my 84 Varmint did it out of the box.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote