THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Range Report, 22/250 & 80 grain Match bullets

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range Report, 22/250 & 80 grain Match bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
Also posted on the small rifle forum, but I thought some of my fellow varminters might be interested in the results of these, if you like sniping at prairie dogs at 500 to 600 yds...

These loads were not chronographed as I was looking for accuracy.. however, if ya own a chronograph, half the work has been done for ya..

Range Report: 22.250 and 80 grain Match bullets
Firearm Used: Ruger 77 Mk2
Barrel: 24 inch Stainless Pac Nor, one in 7 twist, Heavy Magnum Coutour…
Scope: Simmons 6.5 x 20 x 50mm
Bullets Used: Berger 80 grain Match
Primer Used: CCI Large Rifle
Range tested 100 yds..

This test was comprised of using 33 different powders from Hodgdon, IMR , Alliant, Accurate Arms and Winchester.

The following loads showed the tightest groups by a fair margin, and are put forth as points of references and good places to start at..

All groups could be covered with a nickel at 100 yds, or smaller in size…

Most accurate groups are highlighted, and in no particular order in ratio to group size.

1. H 4831SC/ 37.5 grs…
2. RL 25/ 40 grs
3. H 4350/ 35 grs: one hole at 100 yds.
4. IMR 4350/ 35 grs
5. IMR 4320/ 30 grs: one hole @ 100 yds
6. RL 15/ 30 grs: one hole at 100 yds
7. Varget/ 30 grs: one hole @ 100 yds
8. H 4895/ 30 grs: one hole @ 100 yds
9. Benchmark: 27.5 grs: one hole @ 100 yds
10. IMR 4895/ 30 grs:
11. BLC2/ 30 grs/
12. AA 2230/30 grs
13. IMR 4831/ 37.5 grs… one very small hole at 100 yds.. tied with smallest group
14. H 322/ 28 grs.. tied for smallest group at 100 yds, with smallest group

Both the last two loads showed little holes that were 0.4465 inches according to my micrometer…
Minus the .224 bore diameter of the bullet, that would make a group size of 0.2225 at 100 yds…

All loads were shot from a benchrest position.
Scope was set on 10 power for each 3 shot volley.

I also wish to thank Roger Bartsche for supplying me with a batch of 80 grain Bergers for this test, and who was the inspiration for doing this test...thanks Roger..

Cheers
seafire
December 2007
BOOM

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

Thanks again for all the time, effort and money you put into this, and sharing the information is priceless.

It looks as though the 80 gr. Berger is good bullet. I may have to try some in my 22/6mm. I would think they will stabilize in an 8 twist.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.beer

Jim

OK, I suppose I can thank Roger too, seeing its Christmas and all... beer

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Seafire your devotion to load testing is inspiring! Well done, I have been contemplating a fast twist .22/250 for some time now. Started when I saw how well the 75 A-Max did from a .223 long barrel.

One question though; do you think 24" is enough length for the optimal maximum velocities?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a 1in8 Krieger to shoot the 75 grain A-Max in 22-250. I ordered the barrel 28 inches long(Krieger recommendation).

What was the B.C. of the Berger??? Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire, And you used a RUGER to publish data from?? Big Grin Big Grin!!! Just think!! You coulda had a Remington!! Or a Winchester or Savage or CZ or whatever!! .................but you used a RUGER!!! Just think what may have been if you had used a quality rifle!! WinkJust funnin you!! Couldn't help it!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I built a 22-250AI with a 26" Krieger w 1-7.7 twist for a customer about two months ago. Your result are very close to what I had found shooting the 80gr Berger. 29.5gr of H322 shot very good along with 31gr of Varget. The best powder I found was 32gr of Vhitivouri's N560, It produced single digit SDs along with around a .250" avg. 5 shot groups @ 100yds.

seafire2, What kind of throat was cut in your rifle? Was this testing done with the bullet seated into the lands? Thanks for the info.

My throat was a standard 2.0002 lead w/ a 2 deg lead-in. And, mine where loaded well into the lands.

HEAD0001, Great choice of barrel. I haven't sent a Krieger back yet. Even if they don't seem straight they still seem to shoot. The 8 twist works good with the 75s and 80gr Sierras, but the Bergers need just a tad bit more twist. That is why I like the 7.7

Thanks for the Data

Jon

Posts: 13 | Location: Ridgefield, WA | Registered: 28 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just think what may have been if you had used a quality rifle!!

Charlie...

I ONLY used a Ruger, just to see if it would piss you off.. I see that IT WORKED!!!!

HoHoHo.. and Merry Christmas down your way!

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
JBeagle...

Jon,

My rifle was done by Kevin Wyatt over in Medford..He made this one with a particularly tight chamber.. alot of stuff that will easily chamber in my other 22.250s either WILL NOT in this rifle, or else chambers very hard...

I did give him some dummy rounds to throat out for the rifle.. with the bullets seated long in it...those chamber fine as long as the brass chambers fine...each time they are seated to the lands or into the rifling.. I set the die seating depth to the length of one of the dummy rounds, that I keep in the dies container..

I also dedicated a lot of brass to this rifle... the barrel has had about 1500 round down it so far.. it was originally chambered in 223, but after I traded off and got a Savage 12 BVSS in 223, I then took this barrel off of the 223 it was on, and had it put on another Ruger that originally came chambered in 243...

Sorry that is as scientific as I can answer your questions...
I can tell all tho, the most accurate bullet in this or my Savage 12 BVSS in 223, is hands down the 75 grain HP Match from Hornady.. it is much more accurate than the 75 grain AMax which is very very accurate.. its just when I want to shoot little bitty holes, on targets etc, waaaaay out there, I'll reach for the 75 grain HP Match every time....

cheers
seafire
beer

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Seafire your devotion to load testing is inspiring! Well done, I have been contemplating a fast twist .22/250 for some time now. Started when I saw how well the 75 A-Max did from a .223 long barrel.

One question though; do you think 24" is enough length for the optimal maximum velocities?

Sako,

I went with 24 inch and a heavy magnum contour as this rifle was intended to be a walking varminter... I like the heavy magnum contour for varminting over the traditional varmint barrels.. .strictly for mobility and weight...

I do have another 22.250 on a Model 70 Action, that also has a magnum contour barrel on it, but it is with the standard one in 14 twist and also has a length on 28 inches...I love that one also.. ( probably the most because it is a model 70, and I know its previous owner, who is an 80 yr old guy, and former national benchrest champion.. and even at 80 yrs old you ought to see that guy shoot!!)...

Both of my barrels are stainless Pac Nors...I can tell ya that the 28 inch barrel will contribute to velocity tho.. my load in the Model 70 should be doing about 3000 fps, but out of the 28 inch barrel it is just a hair under 3500.. the load is 25 grains of IMR 4198 with a 52 grain Speer HP...it usually chronographs at about 3480 to 3490 fps..

( yeah I know I can stretch that a lot more.. but it does just fine and I don't need to fry out the barrel quicker to cater to some testosterone needs)

cheers
seafire
beer

John Quincy Adams