THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Tikka T 3 Varmint and T 3 Super Varmint

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T 3 Varmint and T 3 Super Varmint
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
These rifles seem purpose built with only one possible use in mind.

Does anyone own one, have used one or feel comptent to express an informed opinion on these rifles.

Thanks.

Posts: 65 | Location: Australia- Melbourne | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Robert, Can't answer your question for those exact types but I have a T3 Lite and it is really nice, lightweight and accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
T3 hunter is a sweet firearm. Very accurate with factory ammo and kills deer just fine. The actions are the smoothest that I have ever used. They are priced very good, I got one for around 549.00 when all said and done. Esox357.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .223 T3 Lite with suppressor which dont make it so light but it is very accurate with factory ammo, I use the American Eagle(Fedral) 55gr HP, through it and have no problems smacking over magpies, bunnys, goats at 250 yrds + with it, but thats not answering your question I know. A friend of mine does own a T3 varmiter 22-250 very chunky rifle, why he brought it I dont know, Its what he wanted, even after numerous people tryed to talk him out of it, to date I think its been taken out 5 times if that he had a terible tasks getting to shoot consistantly (22-250 for ya they seem to be a fussy calibre but when you get the right load for them holy shit look out bunnys 400 yrs + Big Grin.But apart from that its a great rifle!
When I was looking at getting a centre fire .22 I went through the motions of a varmiter barrel too, "but it takes more shots to heat up!" yep true but it takes longer to cool the bugger down too!I dont really get a chance at a second shot with most critters anyway even with suppresor they be gone!! " The barrel dosent flex so much with a heavier profile" also true statement, but ask the 27 rabbits on the weekend if they noticed it just before their heads exploded( id post a pic but not quite up there yet, Ill try later).
If you have to walk distantes to get your quarry then weight is a issue, they are heavy all the time, at least I can take a kilo of mine an put it my bag aye!
At the end of the day its what your happy with shooting if you like the feel and look of the Varmiter get it, if the weight an issue have 2 more weetbix! lol But just be comfortable with it, use it as much as you can, either way T3 lite or T3 varmiter accuracy vs value for money you cant beat it they are a awsome rifle.

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that information.

I find it a little difficult to understand why the Varmint was apparently less accurate than your rifle. However, 22-250 is not a calibre that appeals.

I would be getting a .223.

I have handled a " standard " Tikka T3 Lite, Stainless Steel. It seems that the Varmint Supreme etc ( or whatever name it is marketed by in your country) is considerably heavier.

Have downloaded the specs from the Tikka homepage. There did not seem a great deal of difference in the weights of the 2 rifles.

In Australia, the " standard: T 3 Lite SS is several AUS$ hundred dollars cheaper than the supreme model.

In reality , I suspect that the rifle you have got can shoot straighter than I can and may well go with the standard T 3 varmint , in SS, .223.

As a matter of interest what brand and power scope do you find fits your needs? This in part depends over what distance/s you shoot.

Posts: 65 | Location: Australia- Melbourne | Registered: 04 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I willl try and post that picture for ya on this one. The 250 may in deed be more accurate than mine I would hope so! But my point was that it was ammo fussy thats all.
You will be pleased with your choice in the Tikka T3 lite or Varmiter
Scope well thats just another one, personally I have a Leupold 4.5-14 BC reticle and am bias towards these I love em. In hinesight perhaps a 6.5- 20 in same brand would have been better choice, only because a rabbit at 250 yrds on 14 power is getting small, BUT with the 4.5- 14 you dont have to shag around with paralexes, hard enough in the heat of the moment to adjust the power then the bloody thing is blury anyway cause the paralex is wrong, just a nother knob to play with animalBUT if you have time, no problem, I did have a play with a Leupold 6.5-20 on the weekend,it had the paralex(focus) on the side with the turretts so really I found it easy to use. My friend has a Weaver Grand Slam on his Sako .223 and that is equally as clear bla bla, so really once again its what you like and how much you want to spend, wiht a top end price on scopes I would suggest that the differences would be marginal I havent seen them all, and I never will, the big plus for Leupold is that the warranty is awsome.

There is 27 of them all were shot between 100- 225 yrds on a 17 acre berry farm"they had a bit of a rabbit problem!" in total we got 54 off the property over two weekends.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it that all those were one shot kills using the bipod.

Am looking at getting a Leupold VX III 5-20 x40/50 or Zeiss Conquest 4- 14 x 44. The Zeiss is marginally cheaper.

Have a Zeiss Conquest 4- 9 x 40 on my Cz Hornet and the light is just so pure and clear. I would imagine that the Zeiss Conquest in x44 would be the equivalent of most other scopes in x50 objectives.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct, except for one and that was the funnest thing I have seen for along time, it was a head shot that went high,cliping it just above the left eye and exited over the right, it did'nt rupture the eye, it just filled with blood and it couldnt see, so it walked around in circles it was like one foot had been nailed to the ground.
Firstly I just coundnt believe it and almost pissed me pants in laughter wondering what the hell this rabbit was doing, after about the 20th time it went around I finished it off with a body shot. rotflmo
Have you had a look at the VX-L,I have seen one Im pretty sure it was one of the first one's into NZ, they're supposed to be better than the VX III's, as yet they are not avaiable in shops here yet, may be OZ.
My only thing I could say about a 50mm objective is that the scope is high, and you really want that scope as low as you can get it hence the beauty of the VX-L.But if you own a Zeiss and you like them well stick to it, confidence in your gear will make you shoot better, (I reckon anyway, some may may some Im all shit but D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F) and if its cheaper, than thats even better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just been for a look on the Tikka website, well dont that Super varmit look smart aye!
It does beg the question tho, why put a picatinny rail, or optilock scope mounts on a varmit rifle, I have Optilocks on my 375 for obvious reasons but on a varmit rifle!? WHY Arent the Optilocks detachable? (unless Ive just made a complete dick of myself but Im sure Im right) . Confused
To me it looks like they have tried to"PIMP" a already great rifle, I suppose there would be some people out there who would love it.
I dont know "MARKETING" maybe.
I promise Im not stiring, just food for thought.
I would love someones elses opinion on the mounts tho,
Runas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just before anyone corrects me, I will correct myself.
Optilocks are not only detachable scope mounts.
They are Sako's "trade name" for their standard scope mounts as well.It actually refers to the nylon (or some such material)that goes inside the ring, so there is no need to lap in the mounts and it also aids in the absorbsion of recoil transmited to the scope.
So no I wasnt right, boohoo
RUNAS